Adam Hoge _ Bears Offseason

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 31, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    By Adam Hoge-
    (CBS) — Tuesday’s OTA practice provided our first glimpse at the Bears’ defense since the end of last season, which is why I spent the majority of the practice watching the defensive alignments and techniques.
    So what did I see? To be honest, I didn’t see much difference from the defenses Bears fans have been used to over the last decade. But trust me, there will be significant new wrinkles when the Bears defense takes the field in September against the Buffalo Bills.
    I don’t expect those wrinkles to be obvious until the season actually starts. Tuesday’s practice was just the first of the OTA sessions, and it was the only one of three practices open to the media this week. The Bears are still in the early process of installing the defense, and any exotic looks will probably be installed when reporters aren’t around.
    What we saw this week was a lot of the 4-3 base defense “over” and “under” looks, as well as plenty of nickel personnel to combat the Bears’ frequent use of “11” personnel (one back, one tight end, three wide receivers). But if you watched closely you could see some minor wrinkles, including more more man-defense played by the secondary with safety Ryan Mundy playing some press-man near the line of scrimmage (this is something Chris Conte did in Week 17 against the Packers last season).
    In fact, while walking off the field after practice, one offensive player commented, “They played more man-to-man than I thought.”
    And that was just the first practice. Expect more moments like that for the offense this summer.
    Now let’s get to your questions.
    Tweetbag
    @AdamHoge How much will Willie Young be out on the field? Any 2 back sets with Forte and Carey?

Ryne Teem (@ryneteem) May 30, 2014
    With the Bears showing mostly base looks this week, Willie Young was the No. 2 left defensive end, behind Lamarr Houston. He’s essentially the No. 3 defensive end on this team — behind Houston and Jared Allen — and he’s going to see the field a lot. On passing downs, Houston provides a lot of versatility, as he has the ability to move inside or rush from a two-point stance. I believe there will be times when Houston, Allen and Young are all on the field at the same time.
    As for two-back sets with Matt Forte and Ka’Deem Carey, I wouldn’t rule it out completely, but I’d say that’s not something you’ll see a lot. The Bears run plenty of two-back sets, but that’s with fullback Tony Fiammetta on the field, a player Marc Trestman likes a lot in his offense. According to my research, Forte and Michael Bush were only on the field together for 10 snaps last season. Of course, that doesn’t mean Trestman won’t see different possibilities with Carey and use him with Forte more, but I don’t expect it to be a common occurrence.
    @AdamHoge Is it at all possible that Shea gets cut?

Andy Moore (@QuadCityAmo) May 30, 2014
    No. Everything but a 2015 roster bonus is guaranteed in his original rookie contract, which means it would actually cost the Bears nearly $1.9 million in cap space to cut McClellin this year. That’s not happening. He’ll get at least this full season to prove himself at linebacker.
    @AdamHoge How much of the ~$5m will they spend before the season (leaving room for in-season adj)? What do they spend on, safety?

Hunter Turasky (@hturasky) May 30, 2014
    This is a hard question to answer because it really depends on injuries. Currently, the Bears have done a good job of leaving the space they currently have so they have the flexibility to add if they need to, much like they did with Jeremiah Ratliff in the middle of last season after pretty much all of their defensive tackles got hurt.
    Right now the Bears are probably looking for another receiver after Domenik Hixon tore his ACL, but with league rosters at 90 right now, there aren’t many options out there. There will be minor moves here and there, but any major spending likely won’t occur right before the start of the season, after rosters are reduced to 53 players. And even then, the Bears won’t spend unless they have to. You always want to leave yourself with as much flexibility as possible during the season.
    @AdamHoge if the Bears are in a roster crunch at the end of camp, do you think they'd roll the dice sending D. Fales to the practice squad?

Chad Ruter (@chadruter) May 30, 2014
    I believe that Jordan Palmer is in a much better position to win the backup quarterback job, and if that’s how it plays out after the preseason, then I don’t think the Bears will have any problem cutting David Fales with the hope of signing him to the practice squad. A lot of that will depend on roster availability and how competitive Fales turns out to be, but if I were a Bears fan right now, I’d think of Fales as Matt Blanchard rather than Josh McCown.
    @AdamHoge Do you think Wilson is ready for the #3 WR spot? Think Phil will add more competition?

Eduardo Castrejon (@EdWeirdo34) May 30, 2014
    It’s hard to tell after one practice in shorts, but I will say that Marquess Wilson looked stronger when I saw him Tuesday. Hixon was supposed to be the main competition, so it’s even more important now for Wilson to take a big step forward. Josh Morgan should provide a little bit of a push, and yes, I think Emery will add another wide receiver, but it will be hard to find competition like Hixon would have provided. The Bears are gambling on Wilson, and it’s his job to lose.
    Film session
    We’re going to let Dan Durkin take over this week’s film session with his breakdown of the “Switched Verticals” concept.
    Extra point
    Former Bears defensive end Julius Peppers met with reporters after the Packers’ OTA practice in Green Bay Thursday and produced this cryptic quote: “I felt fine last year. Circumstances around me and the team led to certain things.”
    It’s hard to get more vague than “circumstances” and “certain things,” so who knows what Peppers is referring to, but if he indeed “felt fine” last year, then it’s hard to explain his sub-par production.
    It will be interesting to see how Peppers performs in the Packers’ defense this year. I think his hybrid role will suit him well, but how much does he have left in the tank?
    I know this: Peppers must have something left if Ted Thompson was willing to make a signing like that.
    Adam Hoge covers the Bears for CBSChicago.com and is a frequent contributor to 670 The Score. Follow him on Twitter at @AdamHoge.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Couple take aways:

• Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß
    Former Bears defensive end Julius Peppers met with reporters after the Packers’ OTA practice in Green Bay Thursday and produced this cryptic quote: “I felt fine last year. Circumstances around me and the team led to certain things.”

It’s hard to get more vague than “circumstances” and “certain things,” so who knows what Peppers is referring to, but if he indeed “felt fine” last year, then it’s hard to explain his sub-par production.

It's not hard at all to explain. He didn't care for Tucker or Tucker's way of running the defense and he made some veiled comments about that when asked about his production last year in an interview. His head wasn't in it and his hear wasn't in it so he skated through most of the year protecting his own interests.

He knew there was no way the Bears would keep him this year with that obscene cap number and when they decided to keep Tucker on any motivation he may have had to take less money disappeared too. He was the "top dog" as far as guys who never "bought in" and it wasn't the first time in his career he's been accused of skating when he didn't like the situation he was in and wanted to move on. So he got his wish and now there's even more reasons why I want to nail the Packers this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    Good stuff BS.

I was thinking/hoping the team will be going w/more man coverage less cover 2 so I'm happy to hear that. Makes more since when you look at the fuller pick, and Jennings moving to NB.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Little surprised to hear they "wouldn't have a problem cutting Fales". Personally I doubt he has a snowball's chance of beating out Palmer for the #2 job but I'd be surprised if they'd risk him on waivers. If they do and if no one picks him up, that tells you a lot about how non-NFL-ready he is even as a backup.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß
    One thing we may have going for us there is that Fales probably is a long way from having what it takes to lead an NFL offense and also that with his lack of ideal size and arm strength he's not a fit for some teams.

It'll be interesting to see how well he progresses this summer and in the preseason games. That should tell us a lot. If he looks that good they may have to keep him on the roster as opposed to trying to get him through waivers and onto the PS.

But I'm with you. As long as Palmer can play I don't think Fales has any chance of taking the #2 spot. No matter what his talents might be the very fact that he's a rookie with zero NFL experience and a lack of knowledge of the offense pretty much sews that up for Palmer who does have those advantages.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    Well in regards to Lynch OR Fales, I disagree w/him. The team did have 3 qb's on the team most of last year though so I don't think they'll have a problem finding a spot for a 3rd.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I thought the comment on Fales was interesting as well. That was the other take away I meant to post and forgot. Hoge seems to believe they will have no issues risking him and getting him on the PS. I guess a 6th round pick needs development generally and it would be nice if we can get him to the PS as he will probably not see the playing field unless both Cutty and Palmer are injured. Hopefully it would not be in the same game and would allow us the week to put him on the active roster. Otherwise little chance of Fales seeing any meaningful playing time on the field this year. Will be interesting if the Bears will take the risk.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß

It could come down to how well both Fales and Lynch do in camp and preseason. If Fales has a strong showing in the games they may not risk it but if not and others see him as the project he may well be then by September if they're already committed to the guys who've been through camp with them then maybe they pass on him and he ends up on the PS.

Lynch is a wild card. If he can play STeams and shows enough as a RB and receiver to stick then they can survive with only two QBs on the roster and use Lynch as the emergency QB just like they did with Earl Bennett. It would be nice not to carry a third QB just to chart plays in lieu of having another position player who can contribute.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Going to be some strategy and risk assessment going into that call for sure
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    I agree with Ric not Hoge here. There's little point in drafting a QB, even a "developmental backup", if you aren't going to make a roster spot for him. Drafted QBs, even late rounders, don't tend to make it to the PS and don't tend to stay there for a full season without being poached away at some point. By the latter portion of the year teams that are "out of it" start looking to the future and will sign away a PS QB more often than not.

Little should be expected of Fales this season other than holding a clipboard and running the scout team in practice but I'm pretty sure they will end up keeping him on the final roster as an inactive player game days.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    MP, not just that but even less should be expected of Lynch b/c he's competing for the 3rd/4th spot RB position and not as a QB which the team has already said he won't play.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    As much as I like Lynch and the Cinderella story thing I really doubt he will make the final roster. He's doing a position change, has a lot to learn (receiving out of the backfield, blocking, STs), and I can't see the team keeping 5 RB/FB. I tend to believe they will try to sign him to the PS and move him up only if there's an injury higher up on the depth chart. The kid really wants to be a Bear so I see him as a guy you could risk on PS and can stick for the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    I could see them keeping 5 RB's, IF(and that's big if b/c of the Chris Williams signing) he was going to be your KR/PR instead of a WR; but w/C-dub on the team I don't see that as a possibility. Williams would have to get hurt, AND Lynch would have to show the ability to be better at KR/PR then Weems. He's not going to be on this team as the 3rd/emergancy QB and some other position though. If the team were to decide Ford and Draughn weren't better options then he could be here as the 3rd RB, but that's a HUGE if.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß
    Well one advantage that provides a little protection against that is if they do they have to put him on their active roster and keep him there. They can't take a player from another teams PS and sign him to their PS. We had to keep Chris Williams on the roster when we signed him away from NOLA last fall.

That aside the Bears have said that they prefer to keep three QBs and the only reason they didn't last year was most likely that there weren't three worth keeping as long as they could count on Palmer remaining on the street which he did. With Fales that may not be possible so there's at least a good chance he'll end up with a roster spot as long as he looks like he can run at least part of the offense.

If they didn't believe Fales was a guy who could take over that #2 spot in another year or two at most I doubt they would have spent a pick on him. They could have easily have waited to sign another like Jerrod Johnson as an UDFA so I'm going under the assumption that they will keep him on the roster as long as he shows he's picking up the offense quickly enough.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    True, Soul, and that's why I mentioned it may be tough to keep Fales theoretically "safe" on the PS (assuming he clears waivers and even makes it there in the first place) as the season gets into the back half. Come November/December every year there are teams who's season is clearly going nowhere and who's QB depth chart is shaky. Teams like that would have little to lose by signing a backup QB off someone else's PS to their roster for a look-see in the next offseason.

I'm not sure where Hoge came up with the idea that Fales is easily cut-able unless he looks absolutely horrific (Enderle-like) in the preseason. I would hope Emery did a better job of evaluating Fales before drafting him than JA obviously did with NE. If he shows any potential future value at all I would think the team is pretty much stuck with keeping 3 QBs on the final 53 to ensure not losing him. I don't see much point in spending a draft pick on a QB you think might have something if you're not going to invest in him a bit. The Raiders drafted Bray and promptly cut him now he's gone. Total waste of a pick. If he sucked that bad you shouldn't have used a pick on him and if you thought he had some future value you shouldn't have cut him immediately.

I could be totally wrong but I expect the team to keep 3 QBs on the final roster with only Cutler and Palmer being active game day.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß
    Actually I expect then to keep three as well if only because they're already said that's the ideal plan if it works out for them that way. I haven't really seen enough of Fales to have the vaguest idea of how suited he is for this offense. One scouting report says he doesn't have much of an arm and yet another says he can make all the throws so until we actually see him make them who knows which is correct.

He does seem to have kind of a funny set up and throwing motion though or at least that's one thing I picked up on his college highlights. Of course that's probably correctable if that's all it is. What harder to correct is "I'm stupid and can't read a defense to save my soul". Then we get lots of turnovers and that's the death knell for that offense. Of all the things Trestman has improved I like that one the most.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Lol, You mean, Michael Vick Syndrome? Add in "I don't know wtf I'm doing so I'll just run and quickly get hurt again."
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,540ß
    Yep just like that. He's now perfected a way to get paid without actually having to practice or play the game.

:rofl2:
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    It's real hard to keep a QB on the practice squad these dayd and the Bears like to have 3 on the roster. I am excited to see just what they have to offer as we have already seen Palmer a bit last year and IMHO he did look pretty good. Couple that with what Trestman brings to the QB table and he looks like a good #2.
    :smile: