Adam Jahns Three and Out From Eagles Game.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Adam Jahns’ three and out from Bears-Eagles

1. Shea Mac can move
    In his first game at linebacker, Shea McClellin made two tackles in 29 snaps. His open-field speed and range stood out, but at times he ran himself out of potential plays. His success might be a matter of experience. “It was a start,” he said. “I just need to get better from here.”

2. Williams’ afterburners
    Chris Williams might be the fast, stretch-the-field option the Bears need. The 5-8, 175-pound receiver/returner turned on the jets for a 73-yard touchdown catch past two Eagles defenders. Even more impressive is that he beat them despite tweaking his hamstring before making the catch.

3. Lynch the bulldozer
    Running back Jordan Lynch didn’t play until late, but his bruising 12-yard run on third-and-five was a highlight for the local star. Lynch showed solid burst and strength, lowering his shoulder into Eagles safety Davon Morgan and leaving him wobbly. “I was amped up,” Lynch said. “I should have stayed in bounds.”
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Maybe McClellin deserves a break because basically he a rookie at LB but he has so much latent talent that more is expected than simply being fast and having the range to make plays all over the field. It's gonna take more than just having that ability. He needs to start making them. Getting to the spot where Matthews made that long run up the left sideline all the way from his SLB spot was impressive but when he got there he needed to make the tackle and he whiffed so it still goes down as a zero. Hopefully we'll see a little more from him as the preseason progresses.

If Chris Williams made that TD catch and run after tweaking his hammy then how much faster is he when he isn't playing a little hurt? He's got some jets in his shoes.

It seems to me that Jordan Lynch is doing everything he can to make it tough for them not to find a way to keep him around. Much like Ka'Deem Carey he's faster than he times and he can get the tough yards by finding the hole and just taking it to the defense. I like his north/south running style. He and Carey don't lose yardage when they carry the ball. They may not get you 20 yards on one carry very often but they can get it in four or five carries without losing yardage on any of them.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    This is a fluff piece for Shea, he was flat bad, fast isn't the only thing needed at LB, they need to be strong and have an ability to shed blocks, that's more important. Right now he's, at best, a blitz down LB only.

C Dub, he's looking like a nice 4th WR option.

Lynch made a case to make the 4th, but probably will be put on PS. Perry also looked good, and imo is the 3rd WR right now.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    I really liked what I saw of Lynch much more than I thought I would. I'd like him to stick. I hope he does.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +223 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Is Jordan Lynch the next Walter Payton? Nope.

Is Jordan Lynch the next Jordan Lynch? Yep.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +438 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    Hometown hero getting a lot of props for playing decent against the 4th team. I think it's a bit of a problem having him here - and I'm sure I'll hear flack for it but there's gonna be a lot of fan and media pressure to keep him later into the preseason than his performance might warrant. The media and the fans will inflate his performances with rose colored glasses, even if he's not competitive skill wise simply because he's the hometown boy.

Lynch has A LOT to learn about the game of football from the perspective of a running back and a special teams player - a position he admittedly feels completely lost at. It's not just about running the ball. It's about blocking blitzing backers and DEs who weigh 250 lbs. It's about running routes. It's about catching the ball. It's about blocking down field. It's about tackling. It's about knowing coverage schemes on kickoffs and so much more. To think he can do all of this in the short time he's had, is ridiculous.

Right now he's a media darling - the hard working white boy from Chicago that the fans want to love, I just think it's unrealistic. It reminds me a little of the expectations on Shea who, at least partly because of his skin color and trite similarities to Urlacher, is fawned over not because of exceptional play but because of connection and hype.

Fortunately in Lynch's case he's a UDFA so he doesn't have the pressure to perform at a high level like Shea McC who was a reach in the first round.

I think Lynch might be a good PA candidate - depending on what the coaches unbiased eyes see - but I really can't see him making the team on production.

Here come the flames.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Belly, I don't think he'll make the team, but I think he made a better showing then Ford, who already knows the NFL as a RB. My I still think Carey Draughan and Perry are the ones fighting for 2nd and 3rd, but to dismiss what Lynch did is a bit dishonest, I'm not a college fan, he's no "media darling" in my eyes, and by most accounts he's a stretch to make the team anyways. But he did show he had could play RB.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    You want flames, I'll be happy to provide some; not for your opinion that Lynch isn't good enough because he doesn't have experience, but because of race? Race bait much? Geez.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yeah but that not necessarily bad. Lynch could turn out to be another AP who was a stellar STeams guy but who also kept himself in shape to be an effective RB when called upon. Actually we should have used him far more than we did because he was another guy who didn't know how to lose yardage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Well we don't have a half agree icon so all I can do is state that fact. I think you're being overly harsh about both his current ability and his ability to pick up much of what he needs to know relatively quickly. The kid was a college QB so he knows a few things about how an offense runs that also include blocking and catching in addition to running with the ball.

Still, STeams are the only way he gets his final cut ticket punched and he knows that so he's got to be looking for every piece of advice and bit of help or coaching he can get. I like his attitude and it has nothing to do with his skin color. I don't care if he's purple I just like the blue collar approach because teams need "Grabowski" type to do some of the heavy lifting.

He'll very likely end up on the PS because someone else will have just a little more to offer this year but I'm not writing him off as an NFL player. Like I posted to jackie he could be another AP type who was a great STeam guy and far better RB than most gave him credit for.

There's no way the team can avoid the "local boy makes good" angles the media will toss around but they knew that going in so I'm sure they can deal with it. I'm not expecting him to make the final cut but I am expecting him to make it a tough decision to do it.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    Your A.P. comparison is a good one. Watching Lynch run reminds me a bit of Matt Suhey, another blue-collar guy (one of my all-time favorite Bears players). A great team needs guys like this, IMHO. We all focus on the big name stars and glitzy draft picks, but these blue-collar guys can sometimes contribute too. The guy does have more athletic ability than many folks realize. He's the opposite situation from Shea McClellan in that we didn't spend a 1st round draft pick on this guy. He's a 1st team All-American and Heisman Trophy finalist that we brought in for peanuts - an UDFA. He's only 6' but is a powerful 220lb north-south runner that would be a nice complement to a Forte-type rusher. He has shown great hands receiving. And he can do the Walter Payton type RB pass if needed too. I'm biased because I absolutely LOVED watching him play at Northern Illinois. The kids a blue-collar, baller and one heck of an athlete. I'm pulling for him to make this team. Yeah, he's definitely "Grabowski" lunchbox kind of guy.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I thought of him as that Matt Suhey type of FB/RB and like John Kuhn, the guy the Packers have. At 5'11"/215lbs Suhey was a similar size guy to Lynch's 6'/22olbs but I think today that's probably 10-15lbs too light for a guy playing that role. Kuhn goes 250lbs. The players are bigger and faster so a FB has to compensate for that and probably play at 230lbs or more.

I believe they either told him or he realized that he wasn't gonna get a shot at competing with Fiametta as a FB or Rosario as an HB/TE so instead of gaining weight he dropped 15lbs to pick up some speed and agility so he'd be more useful on the coverage and return teams because he knows that's his best shot. So according to Lynch he's a lean and muscular 206lbs now and built to play as a backup RB and STeam guy.

It's that kind of instinctive moves that are gonna help him as an NFL player. He knows he's a fringe guy whose never gonna play QB in the NFL and probably never get a starters job at RB so he has to become indispensable in other ways and that's what he's doing. Plus I purely love his get to the hole and get some positive yardage approach to running the football. I was shocked to see him get to the edge and upfield so fast on that 12 yard first down he made and then as if to put a period on the end of it he totally destroyed the tackler.

He's a good football player period and he deserves an honest opportunity to make the team.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    I didn't realize he had lost that much weight. He still looks pretty powerful at 206. I figure he's a long-shot at making the roster, but I'm still pulling for him.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

He got down to Safety size because that's how he needs to play on STeams if he hopes to catch on. Anyway you look at it if he doesn't, and that's likely, he should be one of the first guys they sign to the PS if he clears waivers.
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +223 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    What the hell was that play lineup that Miami used to beat N.E. the first time they used it ? I forgot the name of it.

Anyway thats where I see Lynch at and I heard that lineup is now illegal ?

I'm trying to find out information ... can we line up Lynch without a QB

in the backfield? Seeing as how Lynch would be both RB & QB?
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

It's called a "Wildcat" set but when you have a passer like Cutler and a RB like Forte it's probably not in your playbook or if it is it's on page 456 of 460.