Adrian MacPherson.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ticat, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ticat

ticat

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Well I was just going by listening to berman and the boys discussing it on the weekend.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    Ya, don't do that. Berman and the boys have stories that need to be told, truth be damned. Best thing to do is listen to what they are saying and then go and do some research about it, and, although I had to think about how, it was pretty easy, espn player stats lets you click on the player and see their stat page, which gives their height and weight.

6'2" is a small qb, 2-3 inches shorter then the average qb, but it's still not small by anymeans, the days of 6' or under qb's are disappearing, not reamerging. Biggest problem is they cannot see over the mammoth 6'4-6'6 mammoth OL and DL's that are in front of them. If you cannot see over your linement then you won't see the WR's and CB's....and you get Grossman, throwing up ducks and hoping a WR makes a play.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Rick, we've had this discussion before about QB size. What Berman and his gang really did illustrated, was the filtering process that weeds out the short QBs. I completely understand why an NFL QB has to be tall and I sincerely doubt that trend will change for the reasons you've expressed.

What Deliverance and his ilk don't get is that height is not a talent. Berman's valid point was that a 6' QB probably won't even make it into the top football college programs because of his height. If he's lucky, he'll end up in some Div III program. The CFL has made a successful living out of cherry picking shorter QBs with gobs of talent out of Div III schools. They're not in those schools because they can't play. They're in those schools because they aren't tall enough. The starting QBs currently in the CFL range from 5' 11" to 6' 3". There are one or two backups taller than that.

Given the height differential, it's no wonder that very few CFL QBs make it in the NFL. If you're wondering about the talent differential, a couple of years ago Trestman called Calvillo the best QB he's ever coached.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    Bill, 1 it's not Rick, it's Ric, or Ricz(short for my last name, not first)

2) We haven't had the discussion of short qb's. Now while they might do quite well in the CFL, it's just another reason why CFL qb's will not make it in the NFL to often.

3) Ilk is rather harsh. While it's true that height and talent are not causation, there is coralation in the NFL and there is a reason for it. If you have legit talent you can make up for that, but it's going to be few and far between(3 of 32). And to be fair I didn't hear the Berman dialog, I was just going off what was said here.

4) Well considering he's coached the likes of Kosar and Gannon, that's not a high bar to set. If Trestman really wants me to believe Calvillo is better then the likes of Steve Young, sorry that's HIGHLY debateable.
  5. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    "Discussion" was probably the wrong word, just a brief exchange on the subject on the old board. What is interesting is that I can't recall a single QB with a few years experience in the NFL being successful in the CFL. All of the big CFL names that made it down south basically went from college to the CFL and then to the NFL.

You'll have to take that argument up with Trestman, I'm only repeating what he said. OTOH, you have never seen Calvillo in his prime. Flutie is a better example of the short but talented QB. When he played for Toronto in his prime, he was a magician. By the time he made it to Buffalo he was already showing his age and yet he was still reasonably successful.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    Well to be fair to NFL castoffs, the ones that were worth a damn stayed in the NFL as either a starter or backup. Any going to the CFL would have been so bad that no NFL team would even look at them as a backup.

True I don't watch the CFL, but I remember seeing Young play, it was maddening. The guy was just amazing, if your D actually stopped the pass on any given play he just ate your D up running instead...and he wasn't fast, just really damn good. Dude stepped into a first ballot HoF'rs shoes and the team didn't lose a beat. It was like watching Farve get replaced by Rogers, only Montana really did still have a few good years left in the tank.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    McPherson sucks. Warner did what McSuckass couldn't. Those are the facts,
  8. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    So? Did I say we should sign him? No. Just disagreeing with your thought process. And giving credit to Emery for working diligently to improve the team.
  9. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    LOL This whole thread has been birthed out of pure retardation. McPherson is a nobody. Warner has actually built up a HOF resume.
  10. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    or they found a rookie to do the same job at half the salary. People sometimes forget that the NFL is a business and if they can get someone to do your job for less money, you're toast. In any event, these QB refugees, whether NCAA hotshots who failed to live up to the hype, or journeyman backups who were priced out, their careers up north are even shorter. I'm surprised that a few CFL teams are still willing to waste the fare to bring these turkeys in for a tryout.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Just block him. I'm not trying to troll anyone by telling everyone to ignore the troll, but seriously, all this guy does is try to piss people off. click on his avatar, and then click Ignore member. Poof, he's gone.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    I'm 5'11, and when Rex walked (literally) right by me in training camp, dude was completely at eye level with me. No way in hell is he 6'1.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +740 / 2 / -0
    Yeah, but he had a really tall forehead.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ticat

ticat

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Its kind of interesting...if you look at NFL HCs who were making the jump from the CFL, they usually brought their CFL QB with them. Wally Lemm brough Sam Etcheverry, Bud Grant brough Joe Kapp, Jerry Williams brought Pete Liske, Hugh Campbell brought Warren Moon. And here is a guy that knows trestman offence already, and he was cut by the saints when the mascot ran over his leg. He is worth a look for back up..
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    ticat, let's ignore the fact that this guy sucks. I'll strike that from any thought going forward.

I HATE the idea of brining in "vet qb's" or 30 year old qb's as backups. Not when you can draft legit qb talent in the draft for less money and more upside; and yes any qb in the 2-4th rounds have more upside this some 30 year old castoff from the CFL.
  16. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +602 / 2 / -1
    All I know is that thanks to Ticat and Bilatter, I know more about the CFL and some of the ties between that league, Trestman and the NFL in general. Thread on, my friends.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Who said this guy was going to be signed? Emery is doing his due diligence. Bring in a guy to look at him, get the current players thinking about their chances to get replaced, and maybe get lucky and find an upgrade. If not, you know what the guy has to offer if an emergency requires a guy later on. I'm sure Emery has a whole notebook full of these guys, and I'm glad he's adding to it. Not to mention he's picking their brain at the same time, and filling up another notebook.
  18. hoth

hoth

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Adrian MacPherson? i don't understand, he couldn't get on the field, even in the cfl........goal-line qb?

the level of qb play in the cfl hasn't been as consistent the past few years.
    nowadays the top NFL qbs are throwing for more yards and tds per 16 game season than the top CFL qbs are doing in 18.
    CFL has always been a passing league, much bigger field & passing numbers. but offense is down in the CFL compared to what I used to see years ago.

sure, i think there are always cfl guys that could help out nfl rosters and many great players have somehow slipped through the cracks over the years.
    Tracy Ham was the CFLs Michael Vick a decade earlier. Except he actually won games. Damon Allen ran like his brother Marcus and played qb for something like 20 seasons.
    Those guys were definitely better than some of the nfl scrubs of that time.
    '50s & '60s CFL talent was alot closer to NFL than the times since then. As recently as the '60s, CFL & NFL teams traded players.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. ticat

ticat

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    So you notice that the NFL looks like the CFL more and more every year. Not to long ago almost every team in the CFL had a 1000yrd runner in a season, in a passing league. How things change from year to year. But the fact is closeminded GM's do not help a team, that is why emery is going to bring chicago back to the winners circle.
  20. hoth

hoth

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

i also noticed that Henry Burris is going to lead the CFL in passing yards for the 2nd straight year.
    like i said, down times for qb play in the cfl.
    not dissing Henry, i realize he has had a great career in canada. just illustrating the lack of qb depth in recent cfl years when it's old guys that have been around forever dominating that league (Calvillo, Ray).
    • Like Like x 1