Adrian MacPherson.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ticat, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ticat

ticat
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well I was just going by listening to berman and the boys discussing it on the weekend.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ya, don't do that. Berman and the boys have stories that need to be told, truth be damned. Best thing to do is listen to what they are saying and then go and do some research about it, and, although I had to think about how, it was pretty easy, espn player stats lets you click on the player and see their stat page, which gives their height and weight.

6'2" is a small qb, 2-3 inches shorter then the average qb, but it's still not small by anymeans, the days of 6' or under qb's are disappearing, not reamerging. Biggest problem is they cannot see over the mammoth 6'4-6'6 mammoth OL and DL's that are in front of them. If you cannot see over your linement then you won't see the WR's and CB's....and you get Grossman, throwing up ducks and hoping a WR makes a play.

• Like Like x 1
  3. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Rick, we've had this discussion before about QB size. What Berman and his gang really did illustrated, was the filtering process that weeds out the short QBs. I completely understand why an NFL QB has to be tall and I sincerely doubt that trend will change for the reasons you've expressed.

What Deliverance and his ilk don't get is that height is not a talent. Berman's valid point was that a 6' QB probably won't even make it into the top football college programs because of his height. If he's lucky, he'll end up in some Div III program. The CFL has made a successful living out of cherry picking shorter QBs with gobs of talent out of Div III schools. They're not in those schools because they can't play. They're in those schools because they aren't tall enough. The starting QBs currently in the CFL range from 5' 11" to 6' 3". There are one or two backups taller than that.

Given the height differential, it's no wonder that very few CFL QBs make it in the NFL. If you're wondering about the talent differential, a couple of years ago Trestman called Calvillo the best QB he's ever coached.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Bill, 1 it's not Rick, it's Ric, or Ricz(short for my last name, not first)

2) We haven't had the discussion of short qb's. Now while they might do quite well in the CFL, it's just another reason why CFL qb's will not make it in the NFL to often.

3) Ilk is rather harsh. While it's true that height and talent are not causation, there is coralation in the NFL and there is a reason for it. If you have legit talent you can make up for that, but it's going to be few and far between(3 of 32). And to be fair I didn't hear the Berman dialog, I was just going off what was said here.

4) Well considering he's coached the likes of Kosar and Gannon, that's not a high bar to set. If Trestman really wants me to believe Calvillo is better then the likes of Steve Young, sorry that's HIGHLY debateable.

5. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

"Discussion" was probably the wrong word, just a brief exchange on the subject on the old board. What is interesting is that I can't recall a single QB with a few years experience in the NFL being successful in the CFL. All of the big CFL names that made it down south basically went from college to the CFL and then to the NFL.

You'll have to take that argument up with Trestman, I'm only repeating what he said. OTOH, you have never seen Calvillo in his prime. Flutie is a better example of the short but talented QB. When he played for Toronto in his prime, he was a magician. By the time he made it to Buffalo he was already showing his age and yet he was still reasonably successful.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Well to be fair to NFL castoffs, the ones that were worth a damn stayed in the NFL as either a starter or backup. Any going to the CFL would have been so bad that no NFL team would even look at them as a backup.

True I don't watch the CFL, but I remember seeing Young play, it was maddening. The guy was just amazing, if your D actually stopped the pass on any given play he just ate your D up running instead...and he wasn't fast, just really damn good. Dude stepped into a first ballot HoF'rs shoes and the team didn't lose a beat. It was like watching Farve get replaced by Rogers, only Montana really did still have a few good years left in the tank.

7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

McPherson sucks. Warner did what McSuckass couldn't. Those are the facts,

8. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

So? Did I say we should sign him? No. Just disagreeing with your thought process. And giving credit to Emery for working diligently to improve the team.

9. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

LOL This whole thread has been birthed out of pure retardation. McPherson is a nobody. Warner has actually built up a HOF resume.

10. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

or they found a rookie to do the same job at half the salary. People sometimes forget that the NFL is a business and if they can get someone to do your job for less money, you're toast. In any event, these QB refugees, whether NCAA hotshots who failed to live up to the hype, or journeyman backups who were priced out, their careers up north are even shorter. I'm surprised that a few CFL teams are still willing to waste the fare to bring these turkeys in for a tryout.