Adrian Wilson in the mix to start

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 23, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    reports from 1st day is that Wilson is HUGE and looked more like a LB then a S. Wilson seems to have been listening to the radio and interwebs, maybe here, b/c he's got a HUGE chip on his shoulder b/c of the talk he wasn't a good signing.

Also Trestman stated that the S positions are essentially interchangeable so he doesn't look at them as FS and SS.
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If he is healthy and can play in most or all of our games this year he will be an awesome addition.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Lot of unexpected positive news on the AW front:
    His injury wasn't an Achilles tear
    He looks fit and strong
    He "has good burst" left
    He's got a chip on his shoulder to show he can still play

If the above pans out to be accurate in TC/PS, then Wilson is easily our best SS option IMO, despite his age. Maybe he comes out on 3rd & long or maybe he blitzes some then. Our overall safety situation just got a whole lot better if AW still has gas left in the tank. Mundy and Conte can battle it out to play FS. I know everyone is high on BV but let's not forget he's a 4th round rookie from the Big-10 (or whatever they call it now) and that's not exactly a pro-style passing attack he's faced very often in college. The guy is gonna need time to learn NFL pass defense so I'd much rather not have to start him for at least half a season.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Doesn't sound like he came here to play backup. Gotta love the attitude of a guy like this whose not ready to give up the game when he feels he can still play. I like this move because he's had an entire year off now and he's gonna be pushing like hell for a starting job.

After 'terrible' offseason, Wilson ready to prove himself to Bears

[​IMG]

By Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporters
    7:02 p.m. CDT, July 24, 2014

BOURBONNAIS — Adrian Wilson’s fitness satisfied the Bears during the workout that preceded his signing on June 23. He showed general manager Phil Emery enough of the burst that helped the strong safety play in five Pro Bowls during 12 seasons with the Cardinals.

Wilson’s quest to win a starting job also involves a mental component, which begins Friday when he practices with the team for the first time. His crash course in the scheme included extensive study of his iPad playbook over the last month.

“Every day,” he said Thursday outside the cafeteria at Olivet Nazarene University. “For the people who know me, they know how obsessed I am with learning the ins and outs of the defense.”

After signing with the Patriots, Wilson missed the 2013 season with a condition known as Haglund’s deformity, in which an enlarged heel bone or bone spur causes bursitis in the heel. It required surgery on his Achilles tendon and 10 weeks in a hard cast.

Now he’s here to beat out Chris Conte, fourth-round draft pick Brock Vereen and other veterans for a starting spot.

“There’s no challenge, man,” Wilson said. “Football is football. I’m a guy who’s very prideful. I’m a little bit disappointed from last year. And I just came here to play football.”
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,288 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,717ß
    Emery does seem to be able to reach deep into his rectum, rinse off his forearm and be holding a diamond. Whenever Angelo tried that (and he tried just as often), he would just open his hand and be tightly clutching turd.

For a personnel guy, Emery and his guys have their shit (turd?) together.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    :bah::rofl2: I was trying envision that but I gave up when I got to the point of the two of them comparing what was in their hands. JA was reaching for his can of turd polish while Emery just walked away smiling with his...... :23 6 102[1]:
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I posted his actual interview in another thread and he's not a nice man, :nonono2: and I don't mean that in a bad way.

He's one very prideful determined mofo who isn't here to sit on the bench for anyone.

While I like that I have to wonder what happens if he doesn't start. Will he be willing to stick around to play in sub packages against certain teams and formations? He finishes that interview by saying, "I just came here to play football" and with a guy like him I think you can take the term "playing" very literally.

I didn't hear any praise for the coaches or the team or any I'm just here to help this team who gave me a shot win by doing whatever I can. Adrian Wilson plans on starting at Safety.
  8. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Yes, Adrian Wilson is a damn big safety...6'3 230 it's like having Brandon Marshall back there.
    [​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I think we are going to see Wilson come on strong early, and it may well be he and Vereen to start the season. This would make me happy, as I think Vereen has a bright future. He is the most athletic S on the roster, and may well be the smartest too.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    It will be interesting to see what Wilson will do if he doesn't end up playing as a starter (or playing significant minutes). Most of the subs have to play on ST and I read in one of his interviews that he wasn't much of a ST player (or something like that).

He could be in a mind set that he has to be a starter/significant playing time or he will retire.

From listening to him it is obvious he has a lot of pride ... and that is not bad thing. So he may use the Bears camp as a way of evaluating whether or not he should continue his career. I don't see him as the kind of guy who just wants to hang on to the bitter end.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    dachuckster, I think he gets cut if he's not one of the starters, 1 out of respect to him as he wants a shot at starting, and 2 b/c he's not going to be much of a ST'r.
    This isn't quite the same as DJ, he can play all 3 LB positions effectively, that makes him a hell of a backup in a group that can be moved in and out constantly, and Briggs and Shea aren't exactly sure fire's to start 16 games.
  12. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    That's kind of where I was going with that train of thought. Either he shows he still has what it takes to be a significant contributor, or he is gone. He may get cut or he may retire. But his eventual retirement may be the Bears letting him leave gracefully as a matter of respect to Wilson rather that just the announcement of his release.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I do not see Wilson being cut. Sounds like he came here to start and I suspect he will
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1