Adrian Wilson in the mix to start

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 23, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,351ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If he's 100% healthy he would be a huge upgrade over Conte, Wright or whoever we had in the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    Simple thinking, and certainly not a medical opinion, but if there is a bone spur rubbing against the Achilles.....then it would be fair to assume that soreness (at a minimum) would occur.

3. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,819ß
    NFL Safety is a pretty brutal position to play anyway. You're half a LB and the other half a CB but the collisions with RBs, TEs, and WRs are usually happening at a far greater velocity. I'm looking at our depth at Safety as much as I am our frontline talent. Chances are anyone playing that position will miss some time during the course of the year or play at less than 100%.

Before this report came out I never even looked at Wilson as a potential starter. Now it looks like he could be if only for as long as it takes to either get Conte back at FS or for Vereen to be ready to start. Even if he doesn't make it through all 16 games without a break he may give us some initial relief at SS while Mundy moves to FS. I'm only looking at how much better off we'd be with the kind of experience he can bring so I'm hoping he sticks around one way or another.

4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    677ß
    To reduce a Haglund's you must split the Achilles not a complete detachment and not even comparable to a torn Achilles. A torn Achilles is from a defect in the Achilles while a Haglund's is a partial surgical detachment of Achilles. Wilson is going come back with no real foot issues and if anything he should be playing pain free from the fact the painful Haglund's has been removed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,286ß
    There seems to be two main types of surgery for Haglund's. The more major of the two is called "Wedge Osteotomy" and I cut and pasted about it below. If you Google this you'll see that it sounds promising that he could be 100% now. I'm not worried about the surgery as much as his age. He'll be 35 years old in October. For a safety that's getting up there a bit in age. Doesn't mean he won't be solid for us, but you do worry a bit about the age factor. The heal surgery though, shouldn't be a big deal. Especially for a pro athlete in exceptional health and with exceptional medical care and physical therapy.

#15 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,819ß
    I can understand the 35 years old thing but we're also talking about a 6'3" 230lb DB who dished out far more punishment than he received during his career and another long time vet who coming off a years rest which hopefully gave his body a chance to rejuvenate some just as it has with Ratliff.

You know what I really think has been happening this past year. Phil has been holding séances with the ghosts of George Allen and GSH and they're showing him how to build another "Over The Hill Gang" to win a SB with. Worked pretty well for Allen. :36 1 12[1]:

7. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    My question is does that leave us with two strong safetys? Do we have anyone who can play the pass or just strong run support?

8. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Every frigin safety we bring in is a Strong Safety type, and to say they are interchangable is crap.

Playing a cover two type defense and we still constantly lose big games with the long ball.

Conte was the only FS type Safety we have had on the team in years and he sucks.

Vereen is also more of a Strong Safety.

Tired of having smoke blown up my ..... about how we have the answer at safety.

• Like Like x 2
  9. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    885ß
    I agree. Especially since we are playing in the NFC North where Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson reside. We need to be stout and salty, to steal Tuckers words, on the f****** pass too.

10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,819ß

You really need that type of FS more when you play a single high Safety and bring the SS into the box. If they continue to use Cover 2 then each guy covers deep on one half the field so in effect both are playing run and pass.

I think we'll see far more variety and more deception in our coverages this year than we did under Lovie. He was a total slave to the Cover 2 because it creates more opportunities for turn overs and that's his game. Tucker was bound to run that same defense last year but not this year.

I don't see us getting beat deep that much by speed WRs I see us getting picked apart more over the middle by TEs running seam routes and WRs hooking into those soft spots in our zones. I think it's the day of the universal Safety and any of these guys can do that.

I agree with you that Conte is more the wide ranging coverage FS type but I don't think that precludes the others from handling both jobs. Instincts and experience can go a long way and as you point out Conte isn't exactly tearing it up back there. Anyway, a better pass rush will make everyone's coverage jobs a little easier.

One other thing. Brock Vereen ran the fastest Combine 40 yard dash of all of the Safeties, also the fastest 20 yard shuttle, the fastest 3 cone drill, and the best bench press so why is he not a good prospect for FS? The guy has mad athletic ability. He may be raw but he sure seems to have the tools for it.

#20 soulman, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 2