After Taking a Safety 1st Bears Likely To Target DT Will Sutton

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,639 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    6ft 292 seems a bit small if Emery wants size, but he's definitely able to get to the qb. All these draft articles screaming for a S in round 1 really have me worried the Bears will go elsewhere though.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    They already had the first round? Damn... How did I miss that.

Love how this makes it seem like the Bears are locked in at safety in the first
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I can't see how Phil will take a safety at #14 if Ha-Ha and Pryor are off the board.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,639 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    They won't Stock, but that would probably mean that both Gilbert and Dennard are both on the board, and both would be options at DB also.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    How much longer till the draft?

I bet we trade back, and then everything is off the table. Emery will get another risk/reward guy later in the 1st round and fill a vital position with the extra pick.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    And I am sure that this guy got is straight from Emery as well.
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    But he's about 7lbs shy of being Geno Atkins size. Remember Atkins is 6ft tall and plays the 3tech

If we go safety in the first I wouldn't mind going after this guy after his highlight reel and article
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    This article lost all credibility after they just assume a safety will be first. How the hell do you know that? I don't blame the author, this kinda crap is just what we are going to get now. These beat writers have to come up with something draft related and they now have to add 3 weeks of fillers.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,639 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Geno is also small though, he's damn good, but he's small. Emery was speaking about wanting taller athletic guys b/c they more often will win the long term battles inside over the smaller faster guys.
  11. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    could it be another smoke screen? hehehe I guess we will know in 2 weeks
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Seems a little high for Sutton and if some are concerned about Donald's size Sutton is even shorter, much slower in every respect, not as strong as measured by the bench press, his arms are 1 1/2 inches shorter than Donald's and he's had a weight problem that affected his play and needs to play around 290lbs. Kind of defeats any argument that Donald is too small doesn't it. This guy is even smaller.

He's also had problems with his attitude and work ethic and doesn't play the run all that well. If Donald has some risk to him as a 1st round pick I'd say this kid has even more as 2nd round pick. I wouldn't take him that high if at all. I'd wait another round or two and take this kid instead. In fact even if we took Donald I'd still look at this kid later on if he was on the board. He's a guy who could play both NT and DT.

Caraun Reid
    DT Princeton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade
    5.25?
    • 4.91 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 20 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 26.5 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 106.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 7.59 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.58 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 6'2" Height
    • 33" Arm Length
    • 302LBS. Weight
    • 10 1/2" Hands
    Overview
    Two-time third-team FCS All-American (2012-13) and three-time first-team All-Ivy League (2011-13). 2013: Finalist for Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year award. Was Princeton's first two-time All-American in 20 years. Started in all 10 games. 2012: Started in nine games, missing the Penn game due to an injury. 2011: Played in 10 games with nine starts. 2010: Started one game before suffering season-ending pectoral injury, and then redshirted. 2009: Played in 10 games. Misc.: One of four bass singers in a cappella group Old NasSoul.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Very quick off the ball. Disruptive shooting gaps and working half a blocker. Active and energetic -- feet are always running. Plays hard and competes. Very good sack production from the interior (20.5 career sacks). Good intelligence. Is very young (entered college as 17-year-old freshman) and still growing into his body -- has physical upside. Good length and hand-eye coordination -- 7 career blocked kicks. Co-captain.

Weaknesses
    Tends to stand straight up, negating his quickness and power out of the gate. Is not stout and can be waylaid by the double team. Marginal upper-body strength (diminished from 2011 pectoral surgery). Shows little feel for blocking pressure and can be late to locate the ball. Can do a better job protecting his legs. Pushed around too easily. Durability issues have crept up throughout his career.
    Bottom Line

A quick, agile, tilted nose who is effective slanting and stunting and working his way into the backfield. Has kicked outside in passing situations and has the tools to pique the interest of aggressive, one-gapping, 3-4 fronts such as the Jets, Steelers or Ravens as a five-technique. Developmental talent with raw traits to mold.

PS: IIRC this guy Finley is the same one who wrote the article making his case for taking Pryor first which is fine. We're all entitled to an opinion. But now he comes back lugging in a make believe article that he has some great inside knowledge of the Bear draft plans. I might go along with Pryor if Donald is gone but IMHO Sutton would make a lousy 2nd round pick. He's a far bigger risk than Donald.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I like this guy too. And FWIW, DaQuan Jones, Ego Ferguson, Kelcy Quarles, Caraun Reid & Justin Ellis are all projected to be possible 3rd round picks. I like DaQuan Jones and Kelcy Quarles too. These are guys who could be exceptional value picks in the third round. When I look for equivalent value at CB or S it just doesn't look to be as good this year. It looks like the promising ones will be off the board before this.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    With Paea in the last year of his deal, Ratliff's age and Collins one a one year deal it wouldn't hurt at all to take two DTs this year. I see Donald as the pure 3 tech sort and this kid Reid as more the Paea type. He hasn't been up against top college competition but I like the physical traits they'd have to work with. Plus he's be little more than a backup for a year. He'd be worth a 4th round pick which is where a lot of scouting reports have him pegged.

I think as long as we fill the S and CB spots in the first three rounds we'll be OK. There are a few more S prospects who've been added to the list now and the cupboard doesn't look quite as bare. There are probably a half dozen who could go in rounds 2-4 with gradually declining scouting reports but still decent prospects. I still don't believe there's an undeniable need to take one in the first round.

I just keep coming back the same old things. 1) our S play wasn't all that bad when we had a good pass rush and experienced top LBs. Many believed the problem was solved, and 2) We've only spent one draft pick on a S in the past 60 years, Mark Carrier. Over those 60 years we've drafted dozens of DL and LBs in round one. Safety has never been a real high priority position for the Bears.

Times may have changed but what hasn't is Buddy Ryan's fundamental principle of putting a stop watch on the QB. If he has little time to throw he can't threaten as well. His Safeties we're not high draft picks either.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    It's frustrating that we're even in this situation. Instead of normal player replacement we're in a crisis-mode now. We have a need for starters and depth (both) immediately on this team and basically 3 or 4 meaningful draft picks this year.

Emery has tried to help bridge the gap with 1-year free agent acquisitions, but it's less than ideal verses having a constant draft stream of good talent to restock the cupboards in a normal manner.

We still have some needs on offense too.

This is Emery's 3rd draft here and we're still playing catch-up from the Jerry Angelo years. It does get me angry that in this draft it's like we have to choose between cutting an arm off or a leg off. Both hurt. Neither are good things. If Peanut goes down this year to injury we're pretty much screwed. Nothing was in place for Urlacher's situation. I don't like choosing between having a crappy DL or crappy safteties either. Both situations suck. I laugh when folks figure if we draft a stud at DL we won't need good safety play. The better QB's will take us apart with surgical precision if we thing Dbacks don't matter (why suit 'em up if the don't matter....just play with 4 players on defense). Bad players anywhere on D are areas that guys like Aaron Rodgers will exploit. The whole situation makes me angry.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Devils alum chiming in to tell you I want no part of Sutton.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    From my other posts I see Safety in RD 1. It will be interesting if both Safeties Dix and Pryor are gone as a lot of teams in the lower rd of the draft need them also, not necessarily as there first need but in there top 3. I saw a mock recently with Buchannon and Ward going late in rd 1 resulting from the lack of depth and teams making sure they got one.

Wonder if we would prefer to trade down, bite the bullet and reach for Ward or Buchannon, or stick with what we got realizing we will not be able to get a starter and beef up other positions.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    We have to walk with two defensive starters in the first two rounds.

And everybody knows it has to be DT and safety , not exactly in that order.

So Soul says Sutten doesnt play the run all that well ...

isnt that the main thing we need at DT ?
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    The pec surgery makes me wonder if his strength can ever come back all the way. He is enough removed from the suregery that I would have expected full strength (or as full as he is going to get) by now.
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Eh, we need penetration all along the DL just as much as we need run stoppers. The fact that we were trotting out utter garbage at DT post-injuries makes both sides seem weaker than they should be, but it's much easier to find a run plugger in the mid rounds than it is an immediate impact penetrator.