Aldon Smith, mega talented player turning into a cancer, is it worth the Bears doing due diligence?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Apr 16, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    Emery stated he wanted to see high character players, and that character matters. Then signed guys like marshal and DJ Williams and drafted a couple kids w/issues.

Emery's words say no F'n way, his actions say get him in here asap!
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Fun to speculate but won't happen.

Not in a million years.

There's a better shot of the trio of Dick Butkus, Brian Urlacher, and the ghost of Bill George starting at Linebacker in 2014 than Aldon Smith ever getting anywhere near a Bears uniform.

The only way Smith plays for the Bears is in Madden.

In all seriousness, Smith still faces charges on two separate offenses (Weapons and this latest airport incident) and very well could end up doing jail time. At the very least he is probabky going to miss some time in 2014 once Goodell invokes the personal conduct penalty.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    not this year, but all signs point to SF NOT extending out his rookie deal next year so they might well look into a grossly overbalanced in their favor trade.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,613 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    I really hate when people use the word cancer to describe a problem player
  6. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    See my post edit above.

Smith still faces charges in two separate incidents and there is a good chance he could do some jail time for one or both of them. Throw in the fact that he may be suspended by the league too and he probably doesn't play for anyone for quite a while.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    ya dude's a first class jag bag, I don't want him on the team, but he's definately a Emery type player, high ceiling, high risk.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    OK, then he's a hemorrhoid and I don't want him to be our hemorrhoid. Better? :smilebig:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,613 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    Call me a PC Nut, but I just think throwing around the term cancer is kinda disrespectful to those who have cancer and who have died of cancer.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    I hear ya. That why I threw in another term and I agree. I've lost my mother, my former mother-in-law, and my former father-in-law to cancer not to mention a few close friends so I respect your feelings about it. I think it's just a media term we all tend to use and maybe more than we should. Besides in Aldon Smith's case he's far more of a pain in the ass than he is a disease. :cheers:
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,613 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    I know, its a term that gets thrown around a lot and no disrespect is meant. My sis might have a form of cancer, my best friend recently lost her mother to cancer... and that was what got me thinking of how poorly used that is.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Its rare to find a person who has not been touched by this disease. We are closer to finding a cure to cancer than ever before but it is still over the horizon. I lost family members to this in the past and have followed the fight against cancer and various treatments, Someday it will be eliminated and not as devastating as it is today.. Until then all you can do is pray if you are so inclined.
  13. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I've had several hemhorrhoids banded in the last year. Please don't remind me of that pain in the a....

Seriously though, cancer is bad. Like just about everybody else, I've lost several relatives and friends to it. So I also dislike the phrase. But it does describe the problems a bad personality can do to a locker room. Maybe "He's an ulcer?" Oh wait, the wife has one of those.

Keep it simple I guess, The dude's just bad. We don't want him.
  14. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The cancer insult isn't the best, three in my family, fortunately all cured. How about we call him a case of Norwalk on a cruise ship.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    Maybe we should just call him a Favre. That's a pseudonym for a pain in the ass isn't it?
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,809 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    Regarding Smith, I think it appears the guy's life is in free-fall right now. It's not like some of the people we've brought in who seemed to be trying to rebuild their life (like Brandon Marshall). I really respect people who have hit rock bottom but are trying to get their life back in order. But this doesn't sound like that kind of situation. It sounds like a guy who is completely self-destructing. You can't count on a guy like this if you bring him in. It's easy to say, just cut him if he lands in jail or worse. But if that happens mid-season or in the playoffs it seriously hurts the team.

I'm all for giving a guy a second chance (or third chance) if it looks like he wants to get his life back on track. I'm not sure this guy is ready to do that though.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    Trade him across town to the Raiders. They need the help and right now he's a good fit.

Seriously though this kid has some real problems and it could be they're alcohol related. If so he's dealing with a very sick and diseased mind and he needs help. Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of it get him him the help he needs but for it to work he has to be willing just as 99 says.

It's a shame to see guys who could be future HOF players doing this to themselves and their team. Well, it's a shame to see anyone doing it period when you get right down to it. Maybe the shock of all of this will make him see the light.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,809 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I've been down that road myself, so I can't throw stones at anyone :-(
    That's why I'm all for giving folks another chance if they are serious about getting their life in order. I was given a few of those 2nd chances, and I'm mighty glad I got them. But I agree Soul. This player seems to be struggling with something heavy-duty right now. BTW, having a guy like Brandon Marshall on the team is a good asset for other players who get caught up in some bad stuff. He's a "success story" and can model how to get your life turned around and back on track. I like how B.Marsh is pretty transparent about his struggles. Class act guy who almost went down the crapper himself. But in regards to Aldon Smith it looks like the guy's life is still swirling around the toilet bowl and close to going down for good. It's a shame. Hope he gets his act together before it's too late.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    That's what recovery is all about isn't it? I don't hide my issues any longer when to present them might help someone else deal with theirs. To receive grace you have to be willing to give it back to others. Smith hasn't crossed that line into the unforgivable yet but he's headed in that direction if he doesn't stop the spiral.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    • Like Like x 1