All-new D-line improved?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/05/10/hub-arkush-all-new-d-line-improved/atfrc7i/

Hub Arkush: All-new D-line improved?
    By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@chicagofootball.com - Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:32 p.m. CDT
    Following the completion of 2014 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears burgeoning roster included seven defensive ends, five defensive tackles and Lamarr Houston and Israel Idonije.
    Idonije is designated as a defensive lineman because while he specializes at left end he has played the three-technique tackle as well. Houston is labeled an end but he also slides inside on a regular basis.
    No more than 10 of those players, and most likely only nine will make the final roster.
    Has Phil Emery executed a one-year makeover of his front wall on defense to match the job he did on the offensive line a year ago?
    Short of an act of God, Jared Allen, Houston, Willie Young and Jeremiah Ratliff will be Bears in 2014, and if the Bears want their four best on the field, they will all start with Houston at the three-technique.
    Phil Emery did not use his second- and third-round draft choices on Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton to cut them, so pencil them in for this season as well.
    If we call Houston an end, that means the Bears most likely only carry four tackles including Ratliff and the two rookies, which would leave Stephen Paea and Nate Collins battling for just one roster spot.
    Since Ratliff and Ferguson can theoretically play either the nose tackle or three-technique, the Bears have the flexibility to keep either Paea who is strictly a nose tackle or Collins who is a true three-technique.
    Emery just re-signed Collins and remember he didn’t draft Paea, so I’m guessing Paea could be looking for work at the end of August.
    At D-end, we’ll watch Idonije, David Bass, Austen Lane, Tracy Robertson, Trevor Scott and Cornelius Washington all battle through training camp for the two vacant spots at end along with Allen, Young and Houston. Right now, this is a really tough race to call.
    If Trevor Scott can flash anywhere near the success he had rushing the passer early in his career at Oakland, he and Bass will have the inside track on the two open D-line spots.
    Bass has flashed just enough athleticism and speed that I’m guessing Emery would like to invest one more year in him.
    I suspect Idonije would claim a 10th spot if the Bears kept one more lineman because of his experience and ability to slide inside or out.
    So if I’m close here just how much better are the Bears up front?
    In the event I’ve got the new group at end correct, Allen, Houston, Young, Idnoije and Scott will be replacing Julius Peppers, Shea McClellin, Corey Wootton, Cheta Ozougwu and Washington.
    It’s impossible to give an edge to Allen or Peppers at this stage of their careers and I’m not at all convinced Young merits a pick over Wootton. But there is little doubt that Houston, Idonije and Scott are anything less than a marked improvement over McClellin (at end), Ozougwu and Washington.
    The transition at tackle will leave the Bears with Collins, Ferguson and Sutton – and Houston – replacing (potentially) Paea, Landon Cohen and Christian Tupou
    I love Sutton and I like Collins a lot as a backup three-technique, but I just don’t know enough about Ferguson as of yet. And projecting rookies who’ve never taken a snap in the league over veterans is hard to defend.
    But I do think just having a healthy Ratliff, which is what he appears to be, is a significant net gain, and if I’m right about Houston spending the bulk of his time at the three-technique, the Bears will have a huge upgrade at tackle.
    Has Emery done enough on the D-line to make the kind of quantum leap over last year that the O-line made from 2012 to 2013?
    I’d say there’s a real chance he has.
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm thinking Emery finds a way to keep a lot of these guys on the roster.

At tackle I think he keeps all 5. Paea, Ferguson at NT. The versatile Ratliff and Collins and Sutton. We saw last year how its hard to find quality off the street when you have injuries. I think he'll want 5.

The first 3 ends are obvious. Houston, Young and Allen. I like Bass and I think Emery does as well. Can't see Emery giving up on Corn Wash easily but can see him being a practice squad guy. The others and going to be in a for a big battle. And hopefully that competition sees a surprise elevation in play from a young guy.

Plenty of good pieces, but not much will happen without some quality coaching.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    If you look at potential playing DT's this year it's Ratliff*/Collins/Houston*/Sutton
    NT's
    Ratliff*/Paea/Ferguson
    DE's
    Allen/Houston*/Young/Bass

I see 1 spot for the rest, IF Emery keeps 10 DL'men.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    If the DL works out like the OL did last year we could be in for a fun ride this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    I cannot see how the DL won't be much imrpoved. Allen/Houston/Ratliff ensure that. Ego/Will/Willie/David only add to that improvement.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    What kind of speed does C. Wash have. Could he be moved to LB. like McClellan.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Don't know, I know he played OLB in college but I think he's bigger then McClellan so not sure if that's a real posibility.
  8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Yet another known Bears hater saying something good ?
    I'm in shock !
    :theyloveme:
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Hub has never hated the Bears, he has always been critical; and after 25 years w/out a SB win and only 1 appearance I think he's been proven right in a lot of his critisms, but ya he's been very high on this draft.
    He was on 670 along w/Gil Brandt and someone else, and all of them were mostly postive about what was happening.