All signs point to rookies on right side of line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 21, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 0 / -1
    It becomes more apparent each day Long and Mills will get call at guard and tackle in opener

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

August 21, 2013

Aaron Kromer was hard to hear Tuesday because the offensive coordinator has lost most of his voice, apparently an occupational hazard at this point in preseason.

"It's a good thing," Kromer said. "Lot of coaching going on."

Kromer is working with the entire offensive line, but the focus, at least publicly, has been on the rookie right side with guard Kyle Long, the first-round pick, and tackle Jordan Mills, the fifth-rounder. It was interesting to listen to Kromer as he carefully avoided talking about a specific lineman and discussed the group as a whole.

The Bears will not come out and say it but they don't have: Barring something unforeseen, Long and Mills will be opening-day starters Sept. 8 against the Bengals. They certainly didn't demote J'Marcus Webb and slash his base pay by more than 50 percent with the idea of him being back in the huddle. Coach Marc Trestman was optimistic last week about Jonathan Scott getting back on the field this week after his sore right knee was drained, but that has not materialized.

Long is practically locked in and Mills is there because the Bears like his upside and, well, there aren't any appealing options.

"They have to continue their development as well as the offensive line in general," Kromer said. "There's a lot of development that needs to be done yet. Luckily we have two or three weeks left before we play (the Bengals) and it's important we keep working each day."

How is Kromer going to keep coaching with his voice breaking?

"I have sign language," he quipped.

Health beat: Running back Armando Allen returned from a hamstring injury and did limited work. But the list of injured players otherwise remained unchanged. Defensive tackle Henry Melton (concussion), wide receiver Earl Bennett (concussion), middle linebacker D.J. Williams (right calf), defensive end Cheta Ozougwu (hamstring), defensive tackle Corvey Irvin (left ankle), fullback Harvey Unga (rib), long snapper Pat Mannelly (rib), quarterback Matt Blanchard (left hand) and Scott were out.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...o-line-bears-chicago-20130821,0,5793395.story
  2. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +353 / 0 / -0
    That means Garza is still our center. *sigh*

I'm sorry, but I really don't wanna see him anywhere near the starting line.

LT: Bushrod, Webb
    LG: Long, Britton
    C: Slauson, Garza
    RG: Brown, Williams
    RT: Mills, Scott

PS: AJ Lindeman, PJ Lonergan, Taylor Boggs, Corey Brandon.

Much better oline than last year imo.
  3. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +353 / 0 / -0
    Oh well, guess we'll need to trust Kromer's judgment.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

Forte endorses rookie right side of line
    August, 21, 2013
    2:40 PM CT

By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman said Wednesday "it's safe to say" that the team is set for the regular-season opener at center, left guard and left tackle, with the right guard and tackle spots still up for grabs.

Shortly after, running back Matt Forte gave a strong endorsement to rookies Kyle Long and Jordan Mills for the starting jobs at right guard and right tackle.

Long and Mills made their first start together on the right side of the line last week against the San Diego Chargers, and will start again Friday when the Bears face the Oakland Raiders. Running behind the duo during a three-play stretch on the goal line in the first quarter, Forte gained 11 yards on three carries and scored a 3-yard touchdown before finishing the game with 74 yards on eight attempts.

"They did a great job," Forte said. "If we can get that push off the ball at the line of scrimmage, I can basically just use my vision in the zone blocking scheme and we'll be fine in the running game. They're doing a good job. I'm really impressed, especially by [sixth-round pick] Jordan [Mills]. I didn't even notice him in OTAs because we didn't have pads on. But he's stepped up during camp and has been doing a great job."

Long and Mills are competing for starting spots against veterans James Brown and J'Marcus Webb at right guard and right tackle, respectively.

The fact that the Bears consider the third preseason game at Oakland on Friday a dress rehearsal for the regular season bodes well for Long and Mills in their bids to start the regular-season opener Sept. 8 against the Cincinnati Bengals.
  5. A God named Payton

A God named Payton

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Liking the sound of Long & Mills more & more.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +822 / 1 / -0
    While I'm sympathetic to your position (Garza is overpaid and not that good) and could easily see that lineup for next year (with Slauson at C), there's enough transition on the OL right now. Brown hasn't had a great camp/PS from what I've read so plugging him in at G is a little premature right now. And Slauson, who has held down LG well, hasn't had enough reps yet to move to the middle.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +736 / 2 / -0
    I agree, although like many, I don't like it. Right now, Garza is our best option.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a big Garza fan & I hope will upgrade at center next year but I think he'll be ok this year due to being surrounded with better players.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +598 / 2 / -1
    My longshot call of the year......Garza gets hurt and Slauson slides over.....Brown takes Slauson's old spot......and we then see the line of the future. Well at least for the rest of the year.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't love Garza but think he'll be solid enough to lead the young guys on the O-Line with the help of Bushrod and Slauson.

BearDown
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Garza doesn't have what we need physically, but he knows all of the calls and has great rapport with Cutler. He isn't going anywhere this year unless he gets hurt. Hopefully next year we take someone in round 3-4 to be his replacement, and then we will have a tremendously better line than we had 2 years prior.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    Jbunch is dead on as to why Garza is still here and it's something I was saying before the draft, although you don't draft a center that early, if wild speculation is accurate though the C is going to be Slauson next year.
  13. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +598 / 2 / -1
    Or once that Garza injury happens this year....
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    can only hope BS.
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 0 / -1
    I would think either injury or dramatic slide in ability we would see Slaussen/Brown.
  16. A God named Payton

A God named Payton

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Not seen any pre-season games this year, but is Slauson getting any reps @ C? and if so how has he been doing?
    I would put him against either the Raiders tonight or Cleveland next week for at least a half quarter, possibly the 3rd.

I know it may sound rediculous to suggest it, especially having not seen any games so far, but if they guy has any potential...
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    Hub was just on the score, said he thinks the final 8 will be Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long, Mills w/the backups being Brown, Scott, Webb. Said that Scott and Webb can both play LT, and Ebon was unable to...said it's a shame also b/c Britton while playing G and RT was having a great camp, but when he was forced to play LT he faded. He also said he would not be suprised if Brown is not starting by week 4 or 5...hinting that Slauson or Garza will be the ones replaced...either Brown will outplay Slauson, or Slauson will outplay Garza and Brown will take LG over. I thought it would take a year to have Brown/Long as starting G's, but it might well happen faster then that. This OL just got a youth overhaul in 2 years...something JA couldn't do in 8.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +736 / 2 / -0

This is something else I don't agree with. If Britton was having a great cap at G and RT, and you already have a BU for LT, then why not keep him? I mean keep a good player. I know versatility is important, but he can already play two positions. Does he really needto play three in order to be condifered versatile if he is good at two other positions? Garza can only play C and G. No T. Why the hell are we keeping him? Bushrod has only played T. Seems like we should get rid of him too. Any good idea needs to have its limits. You keep good players. Only when someone else is better do you get rid of him. If Brown, Scott and Webb can play better than Britton, great. If Britton can play one of his two positions better than them and also has a second position as a bonus, then I think it is a bad idea. However, I don't know how the coaches have them graded out.

I'm not sure I'd keep both Webb and Scott. Both are players that have been around a while and don't seem to have a very high ceiling. Webb was thought to have a high ceiling, but I think they were viewing the ceiling out of the wrong end of the binoculars. Keeping two guys that have been around nd probably won't get any better as opposed to Britton. IDK...
    • Like Like x 2
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +822 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the update, Ric. News has gone dark since camp ended.

I do agree that it is likely Webb makes the final roster as a reserve/swing T. I don't see Scott as any better than Webb and he's injured while JW is healthy (physically anyway....mentally I'm not so sure). But I'd sure rather keep Britton than BOTH of them. EB can play every position except possibly LT. He certainly can back up RT and both G spots and he's young enough to have some upside now that he's healthy again.

Why does this regime love Scott so much???
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    BiH, starters don't have to be versatile, backups do. Although I agree I would love to see them keep Britton, but I assume they'll try and get him on the PS for a year.