Allen to help wounded war veteran

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 26, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,534ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

New Bears defensive end Jared Allen is teaming up with an Army organization to purchase, remodel and donate a handicap-accesible home to a wounded war veteran.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Again, there has always been a few guys on the team that seemed to really take on social responciblity, but it seems like it's grown 1000x since Emery/Trestie's took over.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Another feel good story about the Bears. I have never heard of any data / record by team for helping and donating to the community or charities which I realize many players have there own charities or causes but seems like a lot of good coming out of these Bears. Proud to be a Bear Fan, now more than ever. Much nicer having a team doing the right things off the field than the alternative which many teams are dealing with.......
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hondo

Hondo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Classy move by Mr. Allen. I'm sure the help is greatly appreciated. Bear Down
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,667 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,034ß
    Well to be fair, Jared and his charity have been doing this for quite some time, its not as if this is some new found philanthropic gene he discovered or something.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Amen. Like the Broncos dealing with one of their prize FA's, T.J. Ward, whose getting arrested for throwing a glass mug at a bartender in a strip club at 2:30 AM because she couldn't serve him and wouldn't let him bring his own bottle in. Nice guy. Glad we didn't sign him.

It is nice to have talented players who are also high character guys. Not choir boys but just good decent human beings who reach out to others because they can afford to do so and want to do it. Doesn't surprise me at all that Allen comes from a military family.
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    +1

The "new Bears" organization seems to be all about character, integrity, community involvement, etc. This probably had something to do with our non-pursuit of Colt Lyerla.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    I didn't imply that it/he was, merely that throughout the 2000's, you didn't see a ton of this from a lot of Bears, let alone the big name ones; now you're seeing a handfull doing it.
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    My feelings about him were very simple. Emery has proven that he's not unwilling to gamble on players who've had personal issues and team issues in their pasts. Marshall, Jeffery, Long, Wilson, ERod, Jones and Carey are all guys who I can think of off the top of my head so it's not like they need to be monks and alter boys. He and his scouts have vetted these guys pretty well before the draft.

So there sits Lyerla an UDFA for the taking AND we have one of his buddy's (Long) already on the team AND we badly need another receiving TE. So with all that in his favor if Emery still passed on him then you have to think there are unresolved matters following Lyerla around that were too big a risk to have him enter into the mix in Chicago.

More power to GB if he does get his issues worked out but given the situation is there even a 50/50 chance of that happening? I think if it was 50/50 Phil may have taken a chance but I think this kid has some deep issues that make depending on him as a player very risky. That we don't need.
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Don't forget this is the dirt bag that ended lance Louis with a dirty hit. Did he help him out at all? I wouldnt get too character happy with him.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Don't think Allen was trying to make a dirty block on Louis, and certainly not trying to hurt him in any way.