Almost unanimously, the Bears received stellar "grades" from national draft pundits.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,437 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    I can't remember a draft where so many of the "experts" thought we drafted well.

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Anytime a team has to draft for need you expect to see some questionable picks and yet this entire draft seems pretty solid and mixes in some obvious picks with a few not so obvious picks that still make perfect sense where they took place.

He missed on the best pass rushing DT but patiently waited and got the guy who may be the second best pass rushing DT and got his young CB in round one instead. We won't know for a few years how it all works out but on paper there seems to be less difference between Donald and Sutton as DTs than there would be between Fuller and any CB we could have gotten in round three. Plan B looks pretty good on paper.

I think drafting Ferguson was a more speculative move but so far those surprise stretches of Emery's have paid off with guys like Long and Jeffery and possibly even McClellin now that they have him playing OLB. There's no denying the kid has some upside and that he's motivated to succeed. He's a little like Hageman but a better fit at DT. It seems to me that Phil can't resist taking guys like him somewhere in each draft.

He needed a backup RB and got a very productive one and then traded up to get a bargain of a FS he also needed badly and then spent 6th round picks on two guys who should make the team as opposed to two guys who probably wouldn't have or would have ended up on the PS. He even found a LT prospect in the 7th because we really don't have an adequate backup for Bushrod. I'm not sure this kid Leno is either but at least he played LT for two years for a team that likes to throw the ball a lot and most BSU players are solid picks in later rounds.

I still don't grade it higher than a B right now but it has the potential to be far better than that if most of these guys live up to their promise.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß
    Pretty good summation and how I am feeling about it as well.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    879ß
    Soul:

I looked at just a little film and if anyone in the draft is going to be a better penetrating DT than Donald, it's Sutton. He has some good film. He has already brought his weight down, so I think he means business. We MAY have done very well here. I obviously think that Donald was a surer bet, but the way the cards frll, we actually may have done much better than it would have fallen if we had taken Donald. At this point all we can do is hope that's the way it comes out because what's done is done.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,063 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,131ß
    The graders should give this team a good grade, the talent they got and their ability to draft needs was dead on.