Am I crazy for being "somewhat" disappointed in the offense tonight?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Especially the offense's performance in the 2nd half, where they managed only a FG? Hear me out, fellas, okay? We all know that our defense stinks, but given the decimated state of our DL, as well as the fact that Peanut was out tonight, our defense wasn't THAT bad. I mean, "grading on a curve" and all, you gotta say that our defense at least came up with turnovers, even if it continued to routinely give up 90+yard drives.

On the other hand, I felt that our offense (which, unlike our D, was at full strength tonight and which undeniably has talent) really bogged down at KEY points in the 2nd half. There were multiple opportunities for this offense to put this game away at various points in the 2nd half, yet it proved incapable of doing so. It failed to convert a number of key 3rd downs after successfully reaching the midfield area. Was anyone else frustrated by this? I just feel that the offense left too many points/big plays out on the field today, and given the current state of our defense, that can't continue. We are going to have to rely on the D to come up with timely turnovers (when it is not surrendering 90-yard TD drives) while our offense simply puts the pedal to the metal and outscores people. I was really frustrated by the number of "once promising" drives which seemed to lead to nowhere in the 2nd half when we had opportunity after opportunity to knock the G-Men out of the game . I don't know if the problem was the poor run-blocking by the OL , poor playcalling or what, but we are going to have to get a heck of a lot more efficient at mounting SCORING drives on offense if we are going to make the playoffs, because we all know how vulnerable this defense is. After our success on offense in the 2nd quarter, I was pretty disappointed in our inability to find the endzone in the 2nd half. Just my .02.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Don't take to much into a Thurs Night games, they all suck. There hasn't been 1 good game all year, the only one people loved was the Den/Dal one last week, but that had absolutely no D in it at all.

Lets see what they do 2 Sundays from now.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    ricza, I understand what you are saying, but I just had to vent. There were various points in the 2nd half where I was flummoxed by the offense's inability to put the Giants away after they had already moved the ball near midfield or into Giants' territory. There were a lot of disappointing plays in that 2nd half, where we failed to convert "reasonable to easy" 3rd downs, which could have eventually put the Giants away. This game shouldn't have come down to a final Jennings INT IMHO.
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was not able to watch as closely as I like to tonight. What I saw wasn't as impressive as I hoped. It wasn't horrible on the eye test but the missed opportunities were there. I'm not going to question keeping Gould off the field on the fourth and two because the all the new stats guys... Especially so early in the game when you want to set the tone, BUT failing sucked.

Was a funny start, I actually was feeling a little bad for E. Manning but the last quarter did not feel satisfying at all. The door was left open.

It was a win, which trumps moral victories. Just more of the same... Wanted something spicier.
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    A-11, we agree completely. That is all I was trying to say. Our offense is still mind-bogglingly inconsistent at times. They looked great in the 2nd quarter, than disappeared on key 3rd downs in the 2nd half when we could have really used another long scoring drive. I guess I was just frustrated at the fact that we had severa promising drives just turn to **** in the 2nd half, when we just needed one more score to basically put the game on ice. It was very frustrating. IMHO, we should have put up at least 34-40 points tonight. We left a lot of points out on the field.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,722 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,085ß
    Without the pick 6, we only put up 20 points against a terrible defense. On our homefield.

So no..youre not crazy
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Bears left lots of points on the field no doubt. Take the 3 to open the game. Jeffery muffs a sure TD.
  8. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I don't think you're crazy at all...I feel mostly the same way...we easily could of lost this game when we should have easily won it...we should have taken those free three points to start the game and we should have been able to drive for at least 3 points in the 4th...failure to do either almost cost us the game... I don't know about anyone else and even with the INT to seal the deal last night, having to rely on this Def to hold a 6 point lead in the 4th does not give me a warm fuzzy...I won't say we got lucky (we did play well in general), but we did dodge a bullet...
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    I gotta disagree here. Last 2 weeks, I blasted the offense because they didn't do ANYTHING to keep the defense off the field for very long, and towards the end of the game, they were efficient at eating the clock and moving the ball. The only area of concern is the continued futility we have in the red zone, BUT, it seems like that's a work in progress, that will eventually get fixed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    ToP 32 min's, so the O won ToP, unfortunately only 5 of 11 on 3rd downs, that's my only real problem. It wasn't great, but the team ran the ball near 30 times which is needed.
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    well said, wolfman. That is exactly what I was saying. Glad to see I wasn't the only person who was somewhat perturbed by the offense's performance/inability to put the game out of reach, in the 2nd half. Personally, my first instinct is to blame the shoddy interior run blocking and some questionable play-calling.
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    ricza, they ran the ball 30 times and looked horrible the vast majority of those times. Continuing to run Forte between the tackles is akin to pounding one's head against a concrete wall. I know that that's what I feel like doing every time I see Forte get swarmed at the LOS after a meager .5-1 yard gain. There comes a point where you just have to abandon something which is clearly NOT working, unless your intention is to "waste" plays/opportunities. I think we wasted a fair amount of offensive plays in the 2nd half of last night's game, due to questionable play-calling and poor execution.

Henry, what is so frustrating is the fact that (in the 2nd half) they were "efficient and effective in moving the ball" up to a point. Seeing promising drive after promising drive die before we even reached the red zone was pretty disheartening, especially when we knew that one more TD (or FG) in the 4th quarter would have put the game on ice. I think that most of us were hoping to see the 2nd quarter offense for the rest of the game. Unfortunately, that offense never re-emerged from the locker room after halftime.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    BMG, but in the 3rd and 4th Forte started to get 3 yards, 5 yards 7 yards up the middle. You have to show your willingness to run, from all positions on the field to keep the D honest; and eat the clock. They are not wasted plays b/c they eat clock and set up plays for later. They wear a DL down over time and that is exactly what happened.

The O could have definatley played better, I'm not saying it was good, but it did better then they were recently.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Tonight was a blue print for how the offense SHOULD be run. If they get over the red zone problems, this could be a prolific offense a lot sooner than anyone expected.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Yep the OL needs to improve a little, good at pass pro b/c of the TE's helping, and pretty average at best in run blocking.