Am I the ONLY Bears fan who STRONGLY feels that

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 15, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ditka was vastly overrated? One of my PRIMARY pet peeves about Bears fans is the "Cult of Ditka" which they (with the help of SNL and the national media) have cultivated. You know, "We all love Da Coach...Da Coach is God, blah blah blah." Ditka was an outstanding, hard-nosed player who played the game the right way. As a player, he was A CLASSIC Bear in every way....but as a coach?! As a coach AND evaluator of talent, he is VASTLY overrated. HE is the main reason why we failed to so much as MAKE another Super Bowl in the mid-80's. He was ROUTINELY outcoached in the playoffs by Joe Gibbs (losing in back to back years, AT HOME, to the Redskins), Bill Walsh (getting BLOWN OUT, once again AT HOME, by a 10-6 49ers team in the 1988 NFC title game), and Bill Parcells (getting humiliated in the 1990 NFC Divisional Playoff game). The ONLY time he was able to beat ALL 3 coaches (Walsh and Gibbs in the regular season, and Parcells in the playoffs)? yep, you guessed it...1985, when he had a guy named Buddy Ryan serving as a de facto Co-Head Coach (just ask the guys on the defense whom they considered to be their "primary coach", and they will tell you Buddy). Was Ditka a good coach? Sure, I guess (even if his act undeniably wore thin with the players as the years wore on), but he was NO WHERE NEAR the coach our primary NFC rivals had during the 80's. I just don't understand why so many Bears fans consistently overrate Ditka as a coach. Once Buddy left, he didn't do squat on his own. Let's also remember that Gibbs won Super Bowls with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien, and Parcells won in 1990 with Jeff Hostetler (hardly HOF-caliber QBs), so please don't try to blame McMahon's injuries for Ditka's postseason flameouts. After all, McMahon started both the 1987 loss to Washington and the 1988 NFC title game against San Fran. I won't even bring up his complete failure with New Orleans when he returned to coaching in 1997.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to get ya'll's opinions on Ditka the coach. Do you think I am dead wrong, or do you agree with what I have typed? Please let me know. We have some really knowledgeable people on this board, so I am curious.

P.S. I also think Ditka ceased being a flesh-and-blood man, and basically became an egomaniacal, cartoonish pitchman after Super Bowl XX (Mike Ditka gave way to "Da Coach"), but I will save that for another day.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    As an actual Coach? Sure. But his fame in Chicago goes well beyond his mere coaching ability.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The 1985 Bears had the weakest schedule of all NFL teams.
  4. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    We all know that, but we still love him because he is Ditka. There is not much more to say.
  5. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nobody won a SB before nor after him at this point in time. That's all that matters. Bear Down.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -21
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    Ditka was no genius with the x's and o's, but he had other qualities. I believe that -- over time -- the character of the head coach is infused into the team. The way Ditka played as a Bear is reflected in the way his players performed -- hard-nosed, relentless, intimidating. Anybody who didn't play that way got his ass kicked. I haven't seen any Bears coach since Ditka who had that quality.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I have always believed this. I don't think Ditka was a great coach, but he did coach the only Bears team ever to win a Super Bowl. Like Bears-40 said, I figure that counts for something.
  8. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    with all due respect, fellas, I would argue that the defense acquired its aggressive attitude, hard-nosed, tough as nails attitude from Buddy Ryan, not Ditka.
  9. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I am far from a Ditka on a personal bases I dislike guy greatly, but I still have to respect him as a great player.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    But that would discount an OL that was arguably 1 of the toughest, nastiest ones you could find across time. Throw in the likes of Sweetness, Jimmy Mac, Suhey, etc. & you have a mirror of that D.
  11. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You can not in no uncertain terms be a head coach of a Super Bowl winning team and be over rated. I don't give a damn who you are. If you are a great tactician or great organizer, what ever the team needs. He didn't win 3, so what ? You win one in any position on or off the field you have done the ultimate good job. It takes luck and timing like everything else. Him and the right mix of coaches doesn't make him over rated. It makes him everything he needed to be when he needed to be it and it worked as good as it needed to...and they were lucky all the Rams had was Deiter Brock at the time LOL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Buddy Ryan was a great defensive coach and coordinator. He got his chance as a head coach but was not able to win a SB. I would not say the Bears SB win was orchestrated by Buddy.
  13. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    I was never a big fan ,but he was the type of guy that players would go to war for.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Good points & welcome to the message board. Good to have you here.
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +967 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    There is one other reason why Ditka is a legend. Pot roast nachos. Have to have them every time i'm in CHI.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +448 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Ditka is a character and Chicago fans adores characters. Was he a great coach? Not even close. Did he provide entertainment? Better then the Barnum&Bailey. Just look at they cast of characters from that '85 team they were all characters. The planets were aligned that year and only that year. IF we had a true coach that knew what he was doing they easily would have gotten 2 more SB out of that team. Egos were major problems from coaches to players it would have been nice to have calming person and deflective personalty like a Trestman to help sooth those egos.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Best response thus far. Well-said, DaTreeBears.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,272 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    156ß
    He and Walter Payton (in Walter's autobiography) both said the team was too individualistic to keep it together. Ditka was similar to Lovie, in that, he was able to turn around a bottom feeder mentality, but not good enough to keep everyone consistent. Regardless, he was held back by mediocre QB play. If we had a QB better than McMahon, we'd have more than one SB victory.
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +448 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    One thing Ditka was good at for the Bears was recognizing talent. He was on the right track when in brought in Flutie it was McMahon that put the kibosh on that move. Saying it was Tomczak that was inline to be the starter when McMahon was not healthy. Tomczak a good ol' Southside boy who I wanted to do good in every way. Even Ditka at the time recognized Tomczak was not going to be the heir apparent to be #1 QB. Grossman reminds me of Tomczak he will be in the league for years playing the #2 roll, because they both just can't get their game play to that next level.
  20. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Henry, please change your avatar.