Analysts Predict Bears 1st Round Pick...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Analysts predict who Bears will draft
    Posted Mar 19, 2014
    By Larry Mayer

With the NFL Draft seven weeks away, we take a look at what some pro football analysts think the Bears will do with the 14th pick in the first round.

With free agency well underway, many NFL analysts have updated their mock drafts. Here's what nine of them think the Bears will do with the 14th pick in the first round:

DT in Blue (4)
    FS in Red (3)
    LB in Purple (1)
    CB in Green (1)

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated (updated March 18)
    Pick: Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald
    Analysis: "The Bears said goodbye to Julius Peppers and acquired Lamarr Houston[​IMG] and Willie Young[​IMG], but the interior of their defensive line still needs a hammer who can make the ballcarrier pay for toting the rock. Donald has been one of this year's risers, and his stellar work at the Senior Bowl and the combine have buttressed what the tape shows. If the Bears don't take him at No. 14, the Cowboys and ex-Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli will at No. 16."

Will Brinson, CBS Sports (updated March 15)
    Analysis: "I continue to love this fit, despite the fact that Donald's size is a knock. I don't think Phil Emery will care about that."

Dane Brugler, CBS Sports (updated March 17)
    Pick: Louisville safety Calvin Pryor
    Analysis: "The Bears need to add depth in the secondary, especially at safety where Major Wright is a free agent and Chris Conte[​IMG] is replaceable. Pryor has the athleticism and range to play the deep half of the field, but his best quality is attacking the run, adding a knockout punch to any defense."

Charles Davis, NFL.com (updated March 18)
    Pick: Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan
    Analysis: "It might be a passing league, but people took the land route vs. Da Bears. The shoring-up process starts here."

Eric Galko, Sporting News (updated March 12)
    Pick: Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley
    Analysis: "Brian Urlacher retired before [last] season, Lance Briggs[​IMG] is getting into his mid-30s and Jon Bostic wasn't all that impressive last year. The Bears need to add to their defense early and often in this draft, and Mosley can fill the strong-side or inside linebacker spot immediately."

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN (updated March 13)
    Analysis: "The Bears have already added Lamarr Houston in free agency, but that's just a starting point on this defensive line, which is still thin and was absolutely gutted by injury last season. Donald equals disruption, and no player was more of a force against opposing offenses in college football last season. He's had a good combine and a good Senior Bowl and is now worthy of this draft slot."

Pat Kirwan, CBS Sports (updated March 14)
    Pick: Louisville safety Calvin Pryor
    Analysis: "There are two first-round safeties in this draft and one of them is already gone."

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports (updated March 19)
    Pick: Alabama safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
    Analysis: "Nobody they signed in free agency is the long-term answer. They need help in a big way at safety."

Rob Rang, CBS Sports (updated March 17)
    Pick: Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard
    Analysis: "The aggressive signing of defensive linemen Lamarr Houston and Willie Young won't help much if the Bears don't supplement the move with improvements in the deep patrol. Dennard's length, physicality and fluidity could help an overmatched secondary against the NFC North's explosive passing attacks."

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Well by a slim consensus of just one vote these "draft gurus" have us taking a DT over a FS 4 to 3. Donald gets the most individual votes with 3 and Pryor is second with 2. Jernigan, Mosley, and Dennard got one each.

Best Analysis: Kiper (but I hate to admit that) nails it. Donald won the triple crown. Great college production, Sr. Bowl, and Combine.

Worst Analysis: Rob Rang (WTF is Rob Rang) thinks our secondary is overmatched at CB in the NFCN. Go interview Megatron Rob.

Most Insightful: Pat Kirwan (at least someone at CBS sports has a brain) who predicts Ha Ha won't even last until #14 so it Pryor only.

Worst Prediction: Eric Galko (who?) who seems to have forgotten we drafted two high last year and just moved a 1st rd. pick to LB.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,112 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,526ß
    I have a funny feeling Emery will fool everyone and pick somebody we're not even considering. I'm not sure that's a good or bad thing. It just seems like his style.

• Like Like x 4
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 2 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,717ß
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Let's be honest, did anybody predict McClellin and Long ending up in Chicago?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm currently trying to workout who we will draft by going through every mockdraft done this year and removing any player that has been "selected" by the bears in the drafts. If the last two years are anything to go by, It's going to be someone no one has considered.

To be fair though, there is two very distinct positions we need to fix this year and we do get to pick high enough to probably have our choice at what are generally regarded as the best at those positions (unlike past years). The only way I see Emery drafting the unexpected in the first round this year is if a) the draft takes a wicked turn and for some reason the top couple of DTs and S in the draft are removed before we pick or b) we get really comfortable with the idea we can move back a few places and still get our guy and then the draft takes a wicked turn and for some reason the top couple of DTs and S in the draft are removed before we pick.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,153 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,510ß
    All this tells me is that Donald, Jernigan, Pryor and Dix will not be picked by the Bears. I'm now changing my choice to Ebron, Tuitt or Gilbert.

7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +470 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    I just hope that Emery does the equivalent of Kyle Long on the d-line. Personally, I like Donald, a lot. But as long as Emery gets a stud who performs right out of the gate, I'm cool with it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    718ß
    I think Ha Ha's gone by the time we're on the clock. Hate to say it but feel Donald will be too. I think it will be:

Jernigan
    Mosley
    Pryor

In that order of whoever is left.

9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,261 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,067ß
    The same arguement could be made for DE as safety. I mean Young had 3 sacks last year and nobody is not questioning the need. And now we got Izzy and Bass and Washington making it safe. I know Ealy is rated 22 or something but I would say still in play. Ealy rd 1, Quarles rd 2. vs Donald rd 1 Crighton rd 2. Emery has some tough choices a STRONG case for any combination of DE, DT, and S could be made and you could complicate it with CB. Next years draft class may shed some light for CB and DE if there are strong prospects he may wait but no rotation in place for either DE of CB and We will look just like last yr should and injury happen.

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,261 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,067ß
    You may be correct but that means somebody is going to fall that was ranked higher and increase the chance for a good trade or a prospect we are not considering