Analysts Predict Bears 1st Round Pick...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 20, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    I know many believe Donald is the only choice that will make them happy, and it may happen. I am hopeful that the combination of players make us better which I tried to make the point previously by saying.

I am not against Donald but have my concerns, the point is are you better off with Donald and whoever, vs (Pryor, Dix,Dennard, or Mosley ) in rd 1 and taking DT later. Having Dennard in place for next yr when Peanut is gone and let him play nickel this year. Maybe FS even, or maybe he beats out Peanut and starts. If Peanut gets injured Dennard would look pretty good. Same story for Mosley with DJ, Bostic and McC. Safety vs DT been well documented. Jimmy Ward may not be on the board to bank on for rd 2. Is getting Donald worth the lower value you will receive at rd 2 for another position when so many DT's on board that can prob, start. (EGO Ferguson, Kelcy Quarles, Anthony Johnson, Will Sutton, Daquan Jones, etc.) Most if not all will be on the board in rd 2 and several in rd 3. I am not against Donald in RD 1 and if the plan is 2 DT's as I have read in various places then Donald makes more sense. The drop in talent is just so much larger at some of the other positions of need we have (ILB, S, DE)

I would love to see Donald and Quarles, it would definetely fix the DT position for years to come and with Peae a FA next yr and Ratliff on 2 yr deal it could happen. Just not sure I want Conte and Mundy starting in the S positions. Maybe Ed Reynolds FS from Sanford is still avail. in Rd 3 . Very exciting and interesting options, thats my only point.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    in RD 1 I would be surprised, RD 2 maybe, and RD 3 offense would not be surprised if he had a TE, QB, or RB or OT. I would like Ebren but would rather have a solid D starter. I like the added complexity the offense would bring with a two TE set but not sure it is worth the RD 1 pick.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Emery likes trying to look like the smartest person in the room by getting players he thinks are first round picks that might not be in other GMs minds

Shea (wrong)
    Long (right)

Getting these players two years in a row, I have no reason to think he won't find another "hidden gem". At the same time finding a "hidden gem" at the end of the first is a lot lesser gamble than in the first half of the first.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Yeah Benj, I agree emery may very well have his eye on a guy that nobody knows. At the same time, we are drafting a bit higher than the previous two years and it's possible Emerys no one guy was gone the past two years and Shea and Long were his ace up the sleve. Like others I have been looking for that "reach" guy emery may pull but I'm not sure I see a late first "expert" mock guy that we make take. That being said nothing will shock me this year. Pryor is the only guy that people may conciser a reach at 14 but IMO I think it's a toss up between him and CD.

Emery has proven to have balls of steel so all we can really do is speculate to pass the time and then enjoy the ride.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +574 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I'm fine with Emery's first pick as long as it's the best DL/DB/LB available. Drafting another position at #14 would be a giant mistake imo.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Who are the majority of these guys? At fist glance, I thought Sports Illustrated had the Bears taking Don Banks. hillbillyfh8.gif
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    A TE or a CB over a DT or a Safety? Mr. Opposite or not unless he somehow pulls a top notch Safety and 3 tech DT out of the air of FA (and I don't see any out there period let alone at "his price") that would be foolish. I'll just keep hammering on the same point here again.

Unless you're a Super Bowl team with a ton of young talent spending a high 1st round pick on any position other than one of "need" defined by "where you need a starter", or at least a player with the potential to start day one, then IMHO you just wasted that pick. Do that often enough and leave key position unfilled or under filled and you lose games and your job. One thing Phil Emery isn't is stupid and I'm sure he isn't bucking for unemployment.

Shorty why would he spend a high 1st round pick on a TE to play backup to Bennett who he already has mucho dolores invested in or a CB who he also has serious money invested in and won't play unless either Jennings or Peanut go down with serious injuries? If he was set with dependable starters everywhere else I might agree that Ebron at least may be worth that high a pick and Gilbert as well but may never drop that far and maybe not Ebron either.

With huge needs at both DT and FS to me the surprise pick would be Mosley at LB. That's the one position where we don't have an immediate need but it takes a year to learn a defense well enough to run it from the MLB spot. With the anticipation that Williams is only good for one more year and the though that neither Bostic or McClellin are best suited to play MLB in a 4-3 Mosley wouldn't meet and immediate need but he still might play some so it wouldn't be an off the wall pick.

I might see him doing it over drafting a FS since he has Conte trying to make up for a very bad year and there are also 2nd and 3rd round prospects who are good players but only if, for instance, Donald isn't still there. I'm less certain how they feel about Jernigan since he and Paea are somewhat alike and if he drafts Mosley there are a few other DTs that will go in rounds 2 or 3 he may like as well. I hadn't thought as much about Mosley before but with Emery he just might surprise us with him.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    After a spending a night considering this again actually Mosley could be the Phil Emery surprise pick instead of a DT. He certainly rates that high and other than maybe Aaron Donald if you want the BPA available at #14 I'd take him over either of the Safeties or Jernigan. I think it would far tougher to find a LB with his talent farther down in this draft than to find acceptable Safeties and DTs.

MLB is one of those positions that may take a year to settle into because of the need to learn the entire defensive scheme and run it as the QB of the defense. Of course that would be another big factor. Does Mosley have the ability to do that or is he a superb player whose a little short on leadership skills. Anyway, I've changed my focus a bit to put Mosley higher in the mix and at least above Jernigan. As much as some have mocked him to the Bears I'm still not sure he isn't just duplicating players we already have.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    So
    Being able to have a 2 TE set with two legitimate weapons and blockers. The best way to beat a 3-4 def. such as the Packers is a 2 TE set. So if you do not want to beat the Packers No NEED.

If DJ gets hurt again same position as last yr. Mosley the only sure fire MLB starter day 1 in the draft. Still have DT starter options in RD 2 and Rd 3. Rd 2 pick may not be as good as Donald but still starting Rotation.

Really comes down to a the combined value of all. One player does not make the team, it takes them all working as a cohesive unit as we saw with Seattle. My comments would be why I would consider it. Not saying I would go that way as I believe Defense in RD 1 is foregone conclusion and if somebody of great value falls unexpectedly increases the potential trade offers. As long as the competition does not know what you will do it makes them play honest as well, thus better trade offers.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Odd that the 2nd day of spring is when hell froze over and Soul and I agree on something. I've been saying MLB and Mosley makes since for awhile, but backed off to Safety after the DJ signing. The Inj to Briggs makes him more viable again though.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    Definetely an option. Talent level falls pretty drastic after Mosley. Borland has lots of size questions, much like Donald, but generally considered 2nd best.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    I'll never buy into spending that #14 pick on a TE over another position now that we have Bennett and I'm willing to bet you $1000 Bears Bucks Emery won't either. We also don't NEED a two TE set to beat the Packers when we have guys like Marshall, Jeffery and Forte who are all studs in the passing game. That's nonsense. They didn't extend Fiametta and re-sign Rosario as an TE/HB if they intended to use two TE sets the majority of the time. They also haven't given up on Onobun yet and if he ever "gets it" and can hold onto the football he's an ideal #2 TE. If he wants to spend a mid or late round pick on one I'd say fine but IMHO the need isn't high enough on the list to justify pushing it ahead of others.

Now the Mosley deal does make some sense and that's why I said after thinking more about I had to back track and admit that if Donald is off the board then Mosley is a legit candidate for that #14 pick. And I'd agree with you that there are other acceptable DT prospects he could take in the next two rounds if he took Mosley. As far as his physical skills go he's pretty far above the rest but I don't know enough about his leadership abilities and football smarts to say he's a guy you could depend on to lead your defense. That's a call Emery, his scouts and his coaches will need to make.

Somewhere along the line we need to come up with another MLB. Whether it's a vet backup for Williams or a young prospect isn't clear yet. What I am convinced of so far is that they'll never make a good MLB out of Bostic and they should just plan on working with him to eventually replace Briggs. If he can share the workload with McCellin at SLB for now fine but I still believe WLB is where he belongs. I also question whether or not McClellin can handle the middle but I actually give him more of an outside chance of doing it than Bostic. He has a lot of the same attributes as Urlacher had and he's nearly the same size. I also like his football smarts but to me he's still the ideal SLB who can provide penetration, pursuit, and pass rush in the mold of Rosie Colvin.

We'll see how it all shakes out and although I'd prefer Donald over anyone else both because of need and also because I believe he would be the BPA for the Bears at #14 drafting Mosley wouldn't be a problem either of he's as good as advertised. I might even prefer him to Jernigan or Pryor since I'm not big on Jernigan as a pass rusher and to me Pryor is far more a SS type than a FS and we've covered that base with Mundy.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    I forgot how we beat the Packers last yr. Oh yeah when they got back QB Rodgers we lost, only won the first one because he was injured. Enough said about Marshall, Jeffery and Forte beating the Packers, It has not happened yet when Rodgers is playing so not improving Offense is Viable. You will notice later though I also said I believe Defense will be the first pick. You previously asked why you would consider it and I gave an answer realizing Marshall Jeffery and Forte could still use some help to win. Onobun is a great hope and Rosario is a Vet min contract so not counting on a lot there. They are warm bodies. I suspect TE in RD 4 is more realistic if they want to add a 2 TE set as an upgrade can be had and give the offense a new look. I will be shocked if they do not go Def on pick 14, I was just answering your question on why you would consider it. Gotta look at all options and in the end I expect them to conclude its not a very likely one.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not really draft guru myself nor do i follow all college players, I have trust in bears and hope they pick a stud. blind as that faith is certainly rarely rewarded, But This Phil 3 rd draft and 2nd with his man Trestman behind wheel. I have hope they they choose impact player in postion of need. Really want stud DT but I could be happy with stud safety as well. Really think this is phil's most important draft, in locking down the defense front For the future as well as our safety issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    We lost the second game to the Pack because of two boneheaded plays by our defense that gifted them two TDs. We put up 28 points on them without another top TE so I don't believe it was our inability to score and it usually isn't. It's our inability to stop Rodgers from killing us with his passes and unless that TE plays both ways and is one hell of a good pass rusher too he's not gonna be of any help at all at preventing Rodgers from doing his thing. If you limit what Rodgers can do you win against them more often than not.

Conversely McClellin has the speed and athleticism to track him and take him down when he escapes the pocket and Donald has similar foot speed at DT and an uncanny ability to beat blocks and split double teams so maybe he gets to Rodgers before he can leak out of the pocket and make his throw. There's only one way to beat that offense and it sure ain't by trying to outscore them. The list of teams who've tried and failed with that approach is long and distinguished. That said I'll opt for keeping THEM from scoring over trying to put more points on the board.

With this offense since Trestman arrived scoring points will rarely be a problem and there are only so many passes to go around. We already pass more than we run so I'm not in favor of adding even more targets for Cutler to choose from because we all know how much he loves to throw the football. I hope Onobun steps up but I also see the need for more competition at TE. There are a few vet TEs still out there on the cheap and we can certainly draft one or pickup and UDFA, and we should do both. My point on Rosario and Fiametta wasn't so much their use in the passing game as it was blocking which both do very well, but both has also proven they can catch and be involved in the passing game as this offense develops. But I agree, neither will take the place of a backup more similar to Bennett.