And your new LB Coach is.... Paul Pasqualoni

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by shark86x, Jan 16, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    I should have edited...they were second in defense in the AAC in 2012.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    13 years in Syracuse is repeatedly getting fired after 2 years? Taking a DC job is being repeatedly fired? Taking a HC job after that is repeatedly being fired? 43 years in the coaching game isn't accredited enough for you?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    how accredited do you want a DL coach? You aren't getting Dungy or Bill Parcel's to come in and coach your DL. The assitant guys are going to be LESS accredited then the HC/coordinators, normally. This guy is damn near on par w/them...for better or worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +726 / 2 / -0
    OMG!!!

Your argumentativeness is going to singlehandedly drive me off this board.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
    1972–1975 Cheshire HS (asst.) 3 years
    1976–1979 S. Connecticut State (asst.) 3 years
    1980–1981 S. Connecticut State (DC) 1 year
    1982–1986 W. Connecticut State 4 year
    1987–1990 Syracuse (LB) 13 years
    1991–2004
    2005 Dallas Cowboys (TE) 1 year
    2006–2007 Dallas Cowboys (LB) 2 years
    2008–2009 Miami Dolphins (DC) 2 years
    2010 Dallas Cowboys (DC/DL) 1 year
    2011–2013 Connecticut 2 year
    2014–present Chicago Bears (LB) ?

You have this habit of cherry picking the data that supports your argument. I guess I will have to make this really specific for you. Yes, other than the 13 year stint in Syracuse, it appears that he has had very short lives elsewhere. There was also a 4 year stint, before you go ahead and tell me about that.

However, as my statement was meant as just a generalization, you can also see that he had three one and out years. So,
    3 X 1year
    3 X 2years
    2 X 3years
    1 X 4 years
    1 X 13 years.

That is his record. Make out of it as you will. It's just an observation.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    We go through this when we hire new coaches after kicking the old ones to the curb. We are all giddy with hope and defend the hire. Anyone who dares question the new guy is considered stupid - or worse. It's blasphemy to question anything. Yes, let's hope this is a good hire. We do need help at LB, and for that matter on the defense in general.

Bears coaches, they come, they go. I've watched a bit over 50 years of it here on the Bears (and the Chicago Cubs too for that matter). Hope springs eternal. Yes, I'm hopeful we have a certified guru here. Just because you're fired from an ACC college team mid-season doesn't mean he can't coach at the NFL level.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    I only argue when people make comments like "he seems to keep getting fired after 2 years", when in fact that isn't the case. Has he moved around...especially early in his career? Absolutely...show me one coach who hasn't!! LOL! You also listed he has 3 one year stints....you didn't seem to notice 2 of them were just different positions with the same team!
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with that. I'm basing my opinion off of a couple different things...one of which is the interaction I've had with this guy and how I've seen him coach. As I said, he is very well respected in the region where I'm from. I'm not saying he's a guru or a miracle worker, but I do believe he is a very, very good coach who has some cred behind him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    BIH, it's considered poor form to question a new hire in any way. Relax, drink the Kool Aid, and "fit in" here :-)

We are still in the Emery/Trestman honeymoon phase, so nothing can be questioned about the team or it's considered blasphemy. Every coach gets a honeymoon, and seriously they do deserve to be trusted until they fail. Even guys like Wanny and Jauron. For that matter everyone was giddy over Gib, Pardee and Armstrong.

On a serious note. I do hope this guy is good. We've had LB's here for over a half-century that we could be proud of. Hall of fame guys. I hope we have continued success.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +726 / 2 / -0
    I'm not even questioning. Just making a comment on what I quickly scanned through. To be fair, some of those short stints (like the one time in Dallas) can be combined for 3 years because he was there but for two different positions. But still, some pretty short stays. Just something to keep it real. May not mean a thing. As a matter of fact, right now, he starts off on an even keel in my book. No positives and no negatives. I just want to see what the guy does. That's all I care about. How do the LBs progress in 2014. That's about it. Whatever he (or any other coach) has done prior to getting here is a footnote. A guy can do well somewhere and badly somewhere else. You never can tell. McCown is a perfect example. I would have NEVER thought he would have accomplished what he has here. Same with a coach. You just make observations, but try not to have any positive or negative notions. That's where I was coming from.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    What you are seeing is a guy that keeps getting a move up(for the most part).
    3 years at HS, then moved to College,
    3 years at college then promoted from asst to DC,
    4yrs promoted to college HC,
    ups to a big college positional coach/HC for 13 years.
    Promoted to Pro's positional coach for 3 years,
    Then gets promoted to pro DC for 2 years,
    Then goes back to old pro team for lateral move for 1 year(whole staff fired not just hime)
    ***Demotion***then goes to UConn for 2 years as small school college HC,
    Then promoted to Pro LB coach.

College HC record: 151-94-1 Bowls 6-3

1 NEFC championship
    4 Big East Championships
    ECAC coach of the Yar Div 1-A 2x's
    ECAC/Vince Lombardi Foundation Coach of the Year 1x

At West Conn State, the team improved every year he was HC until the last year
    Syr was a mixed bag of records, then again much harder schedule, but ended w/107-59-1 record, definately not bad
    UConn apparently is his only fail...but like someone else said, it's UConn and it's a b-ball school.

Some things to think about. He's coached both DL and LB's in a 3-4 scheme in the pro's.
    At UConn his D players that got taken by the pro's got taken by 3-4 teams(Oak and Hou)
    David Bass was taken by Oak to be a 3-4 DE and Shea was projected as a 3-4 OLB. I'd also point out that Bostic was a 3-4 guy, and CornWash was a 3-4 OLB.

I'm not saying we are moving to a 3-4, but I do see a team that has a glut of OLB's(Briggs, Shea, Bostic, Greene CornWash) and I could definately see the team becoming more "versatile" and running a hybrid using both fronts.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    +1

I do agree.

And I do agree that we should not give up on a guy before he's had a chance to prove himself. I figure Emery and Trestman ultimately have their jobs on the line, not with this single hire, but with the overall managing and coaching of the team. So you can bet they're picking guys whom they think are the best they can get as coaches. I do worry about the defense, but there is no reason to doubt the Bears can't turn this thing around this upcoming season. This is the area where Emery and Trestman can prove that they are better than Angelo and Lovie. Angelo could never quite get it right with the offense, and neither could Lovie. It ultimately was their downfall and cost them their jobs. I'm hoping Emery/Trestman are able to figure out the defense. I am confident we'll be fine on offense. But I'm so hoping they are not the flip side of Angelo/Lovie and simply can't figure out the defensive side of things here in Chicago. And only time will tell. We don't know squat about them now. Gotta see the games played out before we can really judge anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    That's a relief. I was worried that you'd gone rogue here on the board. Ride the bandwagon for now and all is well. Heck, I'm still wearing my Webb Nation t-shirt waiting for the old "Hester Package" rollout :)

It's like that old Jessie Jackson saying, "Keep Hope Alive" :-)

[​IMG]
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    FYI: score is now stating he's not hired, merely interviewed and there are other interviewee's in the works.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    something else to consider, he's coached both 3-4 and 4-3.

I'm really wanting to see how FA unfolds, it MIGHT give a hint on what they want to do; which will lead to what they might do in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    From what I could gather on the Internet, it sounds like he is very well respected by players and fans. I read a lot of good things about him, especially from his tenure at Syracuse, where he served for several years. Now, just when I'm getting comfortable with this hire, Ric says he may not be hired after all. We may have argued all day over nothing :-(
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    it's never for nothing, what else could we have done today?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    The proof will be in the pudding of course and we won't know that for a year but he does seem to have a very extensive résumé for a positional coach. We aren't talking HC or even a coordinator position here. And his experience and record seem to far outpace that of the guy he's replacing. On paper, he looks like an upgrade to me. Time will tell...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Figures. Mulley and Hanley announced it, and wiki was already listing him as hired when I went to see who he was. I guess I need to fact-check better in the future.
  19. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Old school bro'!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Tucker was experiment #1.

Paul Pasqualoni is experiment #2.