Anderson Rising On Wide Receiver Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 29, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Hoge: Anderson Rising On Wide Receiver Depth Chart
    July 29, 2013 3:39 PM
    By Adam Hoge-
    BOURBONNAIS, Ill. (CBS) — When Jay Cutler dropped back on the second play of a two-minute drill Monday and threw a 30-yard dart[​IMG] to the end zone, most would have expected to see Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery pulling the ball into their arms for the touchdown.
    Instead, it was second-year undrafted free agent Joe Anderson who made a beautiful diving grab to complete the two-play drive.
    At 6-1, 196, Anderson caught the eye of coaches in Bourbonnais a year ago and earned a spot on the Bears’ practice squad. By the end of the year, he was contributing on special teams on the 53-man roster, but now a new coaching staff is noticing his play on offense as well.
    “He’s had a good camp,” head coach Marc Trestman said Monday after the team’s fourth training camp practice. “He’s shown strong hands. He’s shown the ability to get open in tight coverage and he’s coming out every day to compete. He brings added value because he’s a good special teams player, as well.”
    Special teams was Anderson’s ticket to the playing field last year and will likely play a big role in his efforts to make the 53-man roster out of camp this season. But his receiving abilities clearly have the Bears excited as well. The fact that he was even on the field to catch Cutler’s second pass of the day proves as much. Brandon Marshall sat out Monday’s practice as he continues to monitor his hip, which is why Anderson found himself with the first team along with Jeffery and Earl Bennett.
    Anderson’s presence on the field during the two-minute drill was an indication that he is currently viewed as the fourth wide receiver on the team, ahead of Eric Weems, Devin Aromashodu and rookie Marquess Wilson. If the Bears do indeed keep Devin Hester on the team solely as a kick/punt returner, it’s likely only five receivers make the Week 1 roster. So for Anderson, sitting fourth on the depth chart is significant.

“I wasn’t a draft pick or anything like that. I’m not complacent, I’m not content, I’m not satisfied,” Anderson said after Monday’s practice. “I want more, so to get more you got to do a little. When you do good with a little, you get a lot more.”
    That’s exactly what he did Monday, taking advantage of his best chance to shine with the starters by catching the touchdown pass from Cutler. It’s an indication of his growth from a year ago when the receiver from Texas Southern was somewhat overwhelmed by an NFL camp.
    “Mentally, I wasn’t ready,” Anderson said about last year’s camp. “I came from a small school, not knowing much. Didn’t really understand defenses like that. We were just going out there playing. Now I have to know mentally why they do this — more so why and not just going out there doing it. Just having more of an understanding of everything now.”
    Anderson isn’t as quite as big as Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, but he does fit into the mold of general manager Phil Emery’s preference for larger wide receivers. And, with his ability to flash on special teams, it’s probably a big reason why he is apparently in front of Weems and Aromashodu, despite Weems having a solid special teams reputation as well.
    Of course, Monday he was technically filling in for Marshall, so maybe he’s gunning for the No. 1 job.
    “I didn’t tell him that, but I’m going to make him work for it,” Anderson joked.
    That’s a little unrealistic, but the Bears certainly don’t mind the confidence.
    Adam Hoge covers the Bears for CBSChicago.com and is a frequent contributor to 670 The Score.
    Follow him on Twitter at @AdamHoge.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/29/hoge-anderson-rising-on-wide-receiver-depth-chart/

Id be all about Wilson on the PS or having to go on "IR" for the year so he can add some strength and get some experience then keeping Anderson and DA. Hester is actually not just playing KR/PR and almost blocked a kick so I think he might just stick and I think Weems is EASIBLY resplaceable.
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    As a Joe Anderson fan, this is great news. Plus, this guy can be actually developed now that Drake is history.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    I want this guy on the 53 man roster. For O and ST.
    And Wilson to round out the 5th. Cut Weems.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    was this a emery pick up or a ja practice squad guy from past?
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    I think he was a rookie udfa from last year so an Emery pickup.
  6. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We will see if we hear of him during the season.
  7. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We might not if aj bm and eb stay healthy but could be a valuable st player push weems off the team and save money
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Well ya heard from him last year on ST's so I'll assume you'll see that again. He's the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart I doubt your going to be going OMG Anderson is a beast, the depth guys rarely get to play enough on gameday to make much noise on O.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Not saying Joe Anderson is gonna be a beast this year. He's a backup WR and ST guy who made some nice plays last season. But he can be a good gunner (pushing Weems off the roster) and possibly supplant EBennett in the slot for '14. I like EB but, if he can't stay healthy again this year, he's a prime candidate for replacement with a cheaper option in the future.
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +618 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Saw him in action at TC yesterday, guy's got talent. He could surprise you guys. But then again, he also dropped one and had one punched out. If he can keep the ball "high and tight" he'll be #4 or #5.
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'll swing from Anderson's nuts of he gets in the WR rotation...
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Great to hear that Anderson started off strong and he should be one of the WRs on the roster this year.

He is smart enough to know that STs will keep him on the 53 man roster, and he could be an injury away from getting some playing time.

The reality is that teams that go deep into the playoffs or win the whole thing either have great depth or great luck with having guys healthy at the end of the year. It is very uncommon to keep every key player healthy the whole year and into the playoffs, so depth can be very important.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

Who is going to beat him out for the 5th spot (if its even that low)

UDFA from this year?
    Weems?

Don't think so.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Mr. D thinks a rookie 7th rounder w/no upper body strength is going to light up the NFL this year, even though rookie wr's, even the high round ones, don't do much. And even though it's being reported that when the pads are on and they can hit he's not got the upper body strength to play.
  15. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't see the 7th round guy making the team unless it is on the PS. I would love to see him pan out in a year or two but who knows.

I really think Anderson has great potential. I am glad to hear that he is doing well in camp and I think he could be a solid #3 in a few years to replace EB. IMO Depth is key for any team and good depth can help in any situation in the long run even if it's simple and getting more draft picks and developing guys to replace them. Kind of like what Ron Wolf did with the QB position in GB.
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,617ß
    I liked what I saw of him last preseason and wondered why they didn't keep him around. Then I liked the way he looked on STeams late last year. This is a kid who should send Weems packing. He's got better receiving skills and he can be a top ST guy. He and Fendi Onobun are my two picks as additions to the receiving core.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL I don't think I said anything about lighting up the NFL this year. But some guys are better assessed in actual games, as opposed to practice. Some guys are practice warriors. Other guys show up when it really matters. On game day.
  18. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Making the WR rotation is a little bit different than being the #5 WR. When I say 'make the WR rotation' I'm saying actually being a regular out there on at least 3rd down. Getting real playing time because he's actually make plays out there.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Fair enough, but just dressing and getting to see the field on WR heavy sets is good for him in my book. It seems that your talking top 3? To be getting the majority of the slot duties? That just won't happen IMO barring a plague of injuries
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm talking top 4. Top 3 is always possible with Bennett's injury history.