Angelo on Cutler............................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 21, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Angelo: What Bears' commitment really means to Cutler

[​IMG]
    Chicago Bears' quarterbacks' Jay Cutler during this week's minicamp at Halas Hall. (Scott Strazzante / Chicago Tribune / June 18, 2014)
    By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter
    7:01 a.m. CDT, June 20, 2014

The stage has now been fully set for Jay Cutler. With the Chicago Bears' offseason program finished and now a five-week break until training camp practices begin, the Bears quarterback certainly feels like he has everything he wants and needs to succeed.

An offensive line that surrendered only 30 sacks last season is back in full. Cutler’s favorite receiver, Brandon Marshall, is signed to a long-term deal. Across from Marshall is another Pro Bowl receiver in Alshon Jeffery with all-purpose running back Matt Forte coming out of the backfield.

On top of that, Cutler has sincere trust and belief in his head coach (Marc Trestman), his offensive coordinator (Aaron Kromer) and his quarterbacks coach (Matt Cavanaugh) plus confidence and continuity in an offensive system that he’s continuing to absorb.

But on top of all that, former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo feels Cutler’s own long-term contract extension – the seven-year deal he signed in January – may be one of the biggest catalysts the quarterback will have heading into his sixth season in Chicago.

“The pressure’s off now. He’s got his contract,” Angelo said this week during an appearance on Kap and Haugh on WGWG-FM 87.7. “In all likelihood it’s going to be his last big contract. And he’s firmly entrenched as the starter and he knows what he has to do. I think he’s going to have an outstanding year. It’s a great offense, great personnel around him. And he’s very, very comfortable now going into his second year (in Trestman’s offense).

"As we’ve talked about before, the biggest thing right now is just staying healthy. If he stays healthy the sky’s the limit for the team.”

Some might argue that Cutler actually faces more pressure than ever this year, needing to prove he was worth the $126 million investment the Bears are making. In many ways, the opportunity to win big has arrived. And the pressure for Cutler to do so figures to rise.

Responded Angelo: “Every quarterback who’s starting in the National Football League feels the pressure to win and to take his team to the next level. That’s a given. So that’s always been there. The pressure I’m alluding to is that he now has the full commitment of the organization, of the coaching staff, etcetera. Now he’s in a comfort level.

“That’s a big weight on players as they go through their process with a team. ‘Do they really believe in me? Is it me or is it they can’t find somebody else like me or better than me?’ Now he knows he’s the guy. So from that standpoint, are we going to see a better player? I don’t know that he’s going to be a better player. But I think you’re going to see a player who now feels totally committed because he feels a total commitment from the organization.”

dwiederer@tribune.com
    Twitter @danwiederer
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'm really not sure why anyone ever asks for Jerry Angelo's opinion on anything these days. At the executive level he seems to have been shunned by the entire NFL. Even the Jets didn't hire him as their GM and that's bad.

Did they expect that JA would have anything but good things to say about a guy he traded for?

Maybe the best part is when he talks about all of the talent he has around him and being in the same system now for a second year. Jeez Jer maybe you should have thought of that when you traded for him and left him without that talent and a nothing but as arrogant washed up ego centric and an ass clown who couldn't even find a way to keep him protected as his OCs.

Ya' think?

The only thing in the entire article that makes perfect sense as it relates to Jay Cutler is that yes, the team has made that final step and committed their near term and long term future to him. In Cutler's case that was important because the main reason he's in Chicago to begin with is that McDumbski failed at that task during his short stay as the Broncos coach. In fact he did just the opposite by pursuing Sam Cassel to replace Cutler and then lying about it to him.

So wrapping up that deal which should keep him here for the rest of his career as long as he earns it was a big deal for him. No team has done that for him before this and it should make a difference. If I know Cutler he'll feel more ownership in this team and the results he produces. It's subtle but it'll be there.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I didn't realize Sam Cassel came out of basketball retirement to play QB in the NFL. :drinking61:
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Oops. Matt Cassell and to late to edit it too. Oh crap! :10 2 7[1]: :rofl2:

I know his parents named him Matt but Brady said when he was a rookie he walked around telling people, "Just call me Sam". That must be it huh? Nope? Not buying it huh? :lol 032:
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Dont feel bad, I make more name slips then anyone.

So yeah I had Adolph Hitler as an asst. coach a few years back, it happens.

On PAPER ... the TEAM looks impressive. I cant find any weak spots,

except I can find nothing but weak spots until this TEAM plays a down.
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    I have said before, asking J.A. his opinion on team management and talent evaluation is akin to asking fitness advice from a 650lb man. Nobody is going to hire 650lbs to work at their gym- unless he looses it all and is 150, then his "expertise" would be useful. That didn't happen in Chicago, J.A. is a useless clown imo. Go away J.A.

:10 1 9[1]::10 1 9[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    555ß
    Wasn't it funny how the media spun that scenario , making it seem like it was Cutty who was being the jerk . Typical .
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    For the rest of his life Cutler will have his haters and his antagonists and the best part and what I like most about is him is that he really doesn't give a fuck. That's self-confidence and that's the type of personality I like in a QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß

Yup. Just take care of business on the field, don't f@ck up too much off of it, and not much else matters.

Can you imagine the press that JimmyMac would get in today's day and age?
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He got it then too but like Cutler, he really didn't give a fuck either. The common thread that runs through both is that they both pretty tough minded guys who just wanted to win. I think now that Emery is assembling a supporting cast on both sides of the ball that's more similar to the one Mac had that Cutler can do the same. Cutler can't carry any team but he can carry a good one.