Another lawsuit against the NFL

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 20, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    Per ESPN - Group of retired players sues NFL, says league illegally supplied painkillers that masked their injuries
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    Yup. Why take responsibility for yourself. Just cause they gave them to you doesn't mean you had to take them.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    No, they would never do that would they? LOL
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    Wait so did the NFL give them the painkillers before the player was aware they were injured? Did they not know they were inj'd but took painkillers for the shits and giggles?

Every last one of these guys knew they were hurt but didn't want the guy behind them to see the field b/c the backup might not come back out, just about every interview/nfl video from the olden days has players talking about that exact thing. Now it's the NFL's fault b/c you were scared to lose your job, and they gave you the means to keep it?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Here's the basic text about it. McMahon, Dent, and Van Horne are three of the 8 principals in a suit which seeks class-action status.

APNewsBreak: Ex-players: NFL illegally used drugs . By BEN NUCKOLS (Associated Press) 25 minutes ago AP - Sports . . . APNewsBreak: Ex-players: NFL illegally used drugs .

… . WASHINGTON (AP) -- A group of retired NFL players says in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that the league, thirsty for profits, illegally supplied them with risky narcotics and other painkillers that numbed their injuries for games and led to medical complications down the road.

The league obtained and administered the drugs illegally, without prescriptions and without warning players of their potential side effects, to speed the return of injured players to the field and maximize profits, the lawsuit alleges. Players say they were never told about broken legs and ankles and instead were fed pills to mask the pain. One says that instead of surgery, he was given anti-inflammatories and skipped practices so he could play in money-making games. And others say that after years of free pills from the NFL, they retired from the league addicted to the painkillers.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, in Atlanta for the league's spring meetings, said: ''We have not seen the lawsuit and our attorneys have not had an opportunity to review it.'' The complaint was filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, and a copy was shared with The Associated Press ahead of the filing.

The lawsuit comes on the heels of a landmark case that accused the league of concealing known risks from players' concussions. The NFL settled that case for $765 million last year. No blame was assessed and players received no punitive damages. The drug lawsuit names eight players, including three members of the NFL champion 1985 Chicago Bears: Hall of Fame defensive end Richard Dent, offensive lineman Keith Van Horne, and quarterback Jim McMahon. Lawyers seek class-action status, and they say in the filing that more than 500 other former players have signed on to the lawsuit.

McMahon says in the lawsuit that he suffered a broken neck and ankle during his career but rather than sitting out, he received medications and was pushed back on to the field. Team doctors and trainers never told him about the injuries, according to the lawsuit. McMahon also became addicted to painkillers, at one point taking more than 100 Percocet pills per month, even in the offseason, the lawsuit says. Team-employed doctors and trainers illegally administered the drugs, the lawsuit alleges, because they didn't get prescriptions, keep records or explain side effects.

Van Horne played an entire season on a broken leg and wasn't told about the injury for five years, ''during which time he was fed a constant diet of pills to deal with the pain,'' the lawsuit says. Among the eight named plaintiffs, six were also plaintiffs in concussion-related litigation, including McMahon and Van Horne.

The latest lawsuit seeks an injunction creating an NFL-funded testing and monitoring program to help prevent addiction and injuries and disabilities related to the use of painkillers. It also seeks unspecified financial damages. .. ''The NFL knew of the debilitating effects of these drugs on all of its players and callously ignored the players' long-term health in its obsession to return them to play,''

Steven Silverman, attorney for the players, said. His Baltimore firm, Silverman, Thompson, Slutkin and White, also represents former National Hockey League players in a concussion-related lawsuit.

Former offensive lineman Jeremy Newberry describes lining up in the San Francisco 49ers' locker room with other players to receive powerful anti-inflammatory injections in their buttocks shortly before kickoff. Newberry played for San Francisco from 1998-2006, including one season in which he played in every game but never practiced because of pain from his injuries, according to the lawsuit. He retired in 2009, and because of the drugs he took while playing, he now suffers from renal failure, high blood pressure and violent headaches, the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit seeks class-action status for any former players who received narcotic painkillers, anti-inflammatories, local anesthetics, sleeping aids or other drugs without prescription, independent diagnosis, or warning about side effects or the dangers from mixing with other drugs.

''I was provided uppers, downers, painkillers, you name it while in the NFL,'' plaintiff J.D. Hill, who played for seven years in the 1970s, said in a statement. ''I became addicted and turned to the streets after my career and was homeless. Never took a drug in my life, and I became a junkie in the NFL.'' ..

View gallery APNewsBreak: Ex-players: NFL illegally used drugs FILE - In this May 2, 2014 file photo, Richard Dent is introduced before the inaugural Pro Football … ---- AP Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner in Atlanta contributed to this report. ---- Online: http://www.nfldrugclassaction.com/
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +679 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    I think the bleachers in the 70's gave me hemorrhoids because of all the shitty players I had to watch and never gave me the chance to stand and cheer all those years. So I'll sue players association for making me sit to long during those pathetic games on shitty benches watching a lot of shitty players play.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    Okay.... You injest something and you don't know what it is... Sue.... BS

Whatever happened to never eat/drink anything unless you know what it is? Trust only goes so far
  9. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I think the main point is not what was put into their bodies, but why. They were given meds (doesn't really matter if they were legal or not) to mask the symptoms of serious injuries. Injuries that they weren't told they had.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    Supposedly not told they had.

Players will do anything (even lie about having a concussion) to stay on the field and keep someone else from taking their place.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Yeah, I'm just saying if this is true they certainly have a right to sue. And on the flipside, teams have and do continue to do what they have to do to win so there's no righteous party in this lawsuit.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    previous to wanting to cash in, these players boasted about playing w/inj's, now they claim they didn't know about them and the teams, were giving them drugs to conceal the pain(of a broken neck?!?!?) of said inj's.

I'm calling BS. Just watch ANY NFL production from the 50's-80's and the players brag about the inj's and how they wouldn't come off the field for fear of the guy behind them taking their place; that was THEIR choice, not the teams.
  13. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I think this is something that points to fault from both sides. It sounds like the league was really playing fast and loose with the law, or at least, ethics. However, it's not all on the league and these players have to think the general population (or at least those that fill a jury pool) are pretty damned gullible to believe that they didn't endorse what was going on. It was a locker room culture back then, and the league and players alike had a share in developing that culture.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    One case in point, Ronnie Lott having part of his finger (compound fracture) amputated at half-time of a Superbowl so he could finish the game. How many times has Lott told that story with pride about his toughness.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    Both sides are guilty. But players claiming they were force fed "something they did not know to keep them on the field" is hard to believe in my mind. An athlete's body is their temple. They know exactly what they are putting in their body at all times, and what it will do to them.

They will do anything to get an advantage and to keep their backup, as their backup.
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    First of all, what is the statute of limitations on this? Shit, filing these NOW????

Also, how can you prove they did or didn't tell him about the injuries? I find it hard to believe you just trusted someone about your injury. I'm also not sure doctors and teams would send you out to play when you are injured to the point where it would cause permanent damage. Yeah, have they? Sure, but only with the player demanding to play.

I'm sorry but Dent and McMahon lose points in my book! File this in the 90's and that would have changed everything! File this 20 years AFTER you retire, WTF??
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,166ß
    You gotta love the US sometimes. So now the league should counter-sue the players because they took the drugs. If they hadn not taken them, then there would have no issues. Therefore the pain and suffereng the league is going through is all the players fault.

Then, of course the players union would have to counter-counter-sue because if the teams had told the players not to take the drugs that they had offered to them, then it would not have been the players fault that they took the drugs, causing the league to be sued in the first place.

Of course the owners attornies woud have to....

Our lawyers are so creative. If only it was in a way that contributed to society....
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,253ß
    As David says... "what a player does in their own home should not matter"

But I agree with you
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +679 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    If you have a pot of gold and scumbag lawyers there will be lawsuits.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Papa_Bear is right Benji. That's certainly what they'll contend and what they have to show in court to prevail if it ever gets that far and in all likelihood it won't. The NFL knows that it did happen and they already have a black mark against them because of the concussion issues. It'll cost them less money to make it go away than it will to keep fighting it and suffer through the bad publicity.

I'm not taking a side here because you're also right when you say that some players were willing to play hurt just to keep their jobs so they may be just as complicit. The NFL has much deeper pockets today than they did back in the '70s and '80s so the guys who didn't make as much in their careers as some guys get in just one year today are reaching into those pockets for some back pay.

That's about all it amounts to.