Another Lovie wtf decision

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    I saw this and of course Lovie was behind it. Lovie pisses me off the more I think about him. I was initially pretty excited when he because the Bears HC. Then he had some intial success and I thought we were onto something. After he got comfortable in the job and he was able to start making more decisions, and you start to peel away the onion, I really think that Lovie was more responsible for todays issues than I ever thought.

First the Love(ie) triangle of Tice, Webb and Cutler -- unfortunately Cutler was the one that always seemd to be assuming the prone position

Then his neutering of the best return man in the league and trying to pass him off as a #1 WR. It's not Emerys fault that Hester won't break the record as a Bear - it's Lovies.

The wonderful "Rex is our QB", and now what comes to light (to me anyway) is that Emery had wanted McClellin moved to LB a while back but Lovie nixed it. I know we had Urlacher and Briggs, but this is another decision that hurt us.

JA was bad with personnel decisions, but nothing like Lovie.

[​IMG]
    Duke Macias
    @bigsnacks99

@mikecwright Who was responsible for drafting McClellin and Jeffery? I believe Lovie picked Shea and Phil picked Alshon.#bearsmailbag

@mikecwright: Unfortunately my man, you would be wrong. Those were both Phil Emery picks as he’s the man in charge of personnel. Lovie Smith was in charge of coaching them up. It was that simple, and that is usually the dynamic between coach and general manager around the league. Obviously, Alshon Jeffery has turned out to be a phenomenal pick by Emery, and Shea McClellin -- up to this point -- not so much. But I’m not going to write off McClellin just yet. We all know McClellin will try to make the transition to linebacker this season. But I think what a lot of folks don’t know is that, according to sources, Emery actually wanted that transition to take place a lot sooner, but Smith was reluctant to move McClellin to linebacker
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Ok, Wright has lost some points from his stupid post.

Is he talking to himself? He states he believes Lovie picked McClellin. Then he later says No!?

His answer is rather generic, and basic. Of course on paper the GM picks the players and the coach, coaches. Is that even true in today's game? How many coaches have no choice or input over players? I'm no insider, but I would think EVERY coach has a pretty big say in who gets a roster spot.

I'm confused!

I will say Lovie is an idiot! Especially during his "Rex is our QB" statements. His montone press conferences drove me up the wall! They could replay the same one after every game and you wouldn't know the difference. He said the same thing everytime!
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    I think he said Emery picked McClellin, but it was Lovie that kept him at DE when Emery wanted him moved to LB
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    He never had any points to begin with...LOL! Seriously, this guy drives me crazy. Especially his "Bears Buzz" video's where he talks about all the obvious things that were the topics of 2 weeks prior to his video.

The formatting looks to be wrong (even though it kills me to say it's not Wright that's wrong).
    The question came in from a Twitter follower, directed towards Wright.

Not to mention, his arrogance while speaking to media, etc.

I'm glad he's gone. He may be a good D-Coordinator, but he's an average head coach at best. And I won't even bring up his talent evaluation or player development skills. Good luck Tampa!
  5. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think Lovie wanted Shea to be the Bears' version of Robert Mathis in his system.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    Emery was forced to keep Lovie for one year. No way he then let Lovie make decisions on who was getting drafted.

Smith had a lot to do with the failure of the 2007 draft because of getting to the SB he was given more say in the draft room.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    That right there has been the only George McCaskey decision I have not liked.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Wright was answering a guys question who believed Lovie picked Shea and Emery picked Alshon.
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Absolutely, dead ass, on the money, correct.
    Which is exactly why I am so confident that Tampa Bay will become a swirling turd down the toilet of the NFL. The best they will be over the next few years will be this year. Once Lovie's plan begins to take a stronger hold, they will get even worse. I actually feel kinda bad for the Bucs fans. I would have loved to see Lovie go to Detroit or Minnesota.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    I'm not seeing the same future as you are for Tampa. Lovie got a lot of weaknesses as a head coach, but Tampa is in line for struggling this season, then getting 0.500 caliber football. 8-8, 9-7, just enough to maybe one in a while slip into the playoffs, go 7-9 and be out of it for a couple years, but never go anywhere long term. After the whole Schiano fiasco, that franchise has to get what's left of the team back on board with listening to coaches. They need a players coach right now, and that's one of Lovie's stronger points.

If there GM has a long term plan, the fans should hope it does not have Lovie in it. But in the short term, they could get watchable football compared to the mess they had last year.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    I think TB will get better under Lovie fairly quickly. Then I think they will stagnate. I just do not see them becoming a top tier team with Lovies inability to judge talent as well as his tendancy to go with cronyism over objective selection of coaches. His undying loyalty and his Sphinx-like ability to stoically stick with a plan despite the plan blowing up around him (Hester at #1 WR, Grossman at QB, McClellin at DE) shows he does not lack confidence but also has the gift of being able to completely overlook reality in order to be able to stick with a plan. That and his complete inability to lead an offense.
    I don't see him getting much past where he got the Bears. Eventually, some of his good coaches will leave and he will bring in a Tice buddy type that has no clue and the pattern will repeat. He may get them to a few playoffs, but I don't think the will ever win the big one. You have to be very good and objective in order to repeatedly knock on the door to a SB. I just did not see that in Lovie.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    It's all good. Maybe he'll catch lightening in a bottle like he did when Angelo drafted Devin Hester and maybe he'll find 5 or 6 pro-bowlers to play his Defense for him that makes his Defense look better than it is. However, Lovie is calling the personnel shots in Tampa, so I guess we'll see. I could be completely wrong about this and if so, I'll be happy to eat crow. I've dined on that rotten bird many times; I'm growing accustomed to it.:smile:
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Lovie can put together a defense. Unfortunately you need a offense to go with it which is why he needs a strong OC. He is so bad at offense he couldnt even figure out who a good OC is, he may have found one in Tampa though, with Tedford I believe he has. He claimed sitting out a year let him analyze himself and some of the decisions he made and hopefully staying out of personnel and putting players in the best position to succeed is something he learned.

Lovie came to the Bears as a DC and was a Rookie Head Coach. Yes he was not very good at it. Does anyone remember Belichick in Cleveland. He was probably worse than Lovie, his results definitely were, but the Pats are one of the best now. I think we can agree Lovie did not help us as much as we would have liked and I could not wait to see him gone. If he was able to admit his faults while building on his strengths he may surprise us, and starting out with Tedford as his OC shows atleast he realized he needed a strong coach on that side of the ball and I think he got that right anyway. Time will tell, and I know a Good OC seems so obvious and I think he believed he may have had them, not sure how he justified that with Tice but..... just sayin
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    yeah... I have to admit I do like Tedford.
  15. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    If Tedford truly is as good as he seems, he will leave to be a head coach soon enough
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,691ß
    Exactly. That was my point previously. Then Lovie will revert back to one of his buds, and history will repeat itself. If he picks a second competent OC, then I guess he learned from Chicago. But it took him a whole year of thinking about it to come up with Tedford.
  17. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    It will also depend on what he does personnel wise from here forward. OK, he's got Tedford, but if he reverts back to loading the Defense to the demise of the Offense, then when Tedford leaves, no one worth their salt will want to come here because they know they will always take a backseat to the Defense. He's already done that with their starting QB. Does anyone really believe that McCown will have the same success he had for 5 games here? That's what Tedford has been given to start with.
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,719 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,082ß
    Someone asked a question to him on twitter, thats probably where you are confused. The random twitter user suggested Lovie picked Shea, and Wright corrected him by stating both were Emery picks, but that Emery wanted to transition Shea to LB, and Lovie didnt. Which would make sense, since most of us thought She was better suited as an OLB in a 3-4 anyway, opposed to a tradtional 4-3 DE
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    JJ has a broom sweeping the floor known as CHICAGO BEARS clean.
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +715 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    430ß
    Why would anyone want a coach that requires him to get lucky in finding viable OC? Once he eventually gets that sun to shine on his ass and the OC is proven. Another team will take the OC for HC job and he'll be back to looking for another OC. Since Lovie is to inept to understand offensive schemes he can't possibly help in any shape or form. So the only reason you hire Lovie is because the players like him and you can rest assure he will never say something negative nor intelligent about your team. Tampa enjoy your wasted timeouts and red flag blunder episodes with no real response to why they occur. Other than knowing you have a MORON as a coach. By the way he's not that great a DC either. He fired the best DC he had and he tried out for job and failed. Don't believe all the BS on how great of DC genius he is because he's more lucky in that area.
    • Like Like x 1