Answer this question or the Packers will win the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 1, 2013.

?

With this team, would you kick off, or defer?

1. We want the Ball and we wanna score

61.9%
  2. Defer

38.1%
  3. Defer in overtime (Marty Mornhingweg was a genius!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilM

PhilM
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    WIth a vasty (hopefully) improved offense, you take the ball. Lovie's constant choice to defer was a blatant example of how stubborn he was--- and how he felt that the defense should always win games. And that's where Lovie invested all his efforts. Our offense, as a result, was never very good.

I think the Trestman hire was definitely a move in the right direction. Take the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Defer. Statisitcally speaking, most opening drives never score. The defense just started the game, and is fresh, so they typically perform better in the opening drives. Plus, if you defer, you start with the ball in the 2nd half, which is good: if you are ahead, you can build on your lead and possible go up multiple score, with less than a half to go. If you are trailing, gives you a chance to come out and catch up/tie the game.

3. yttocs

yttocs
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Don't you take into account what the team your playing is good at? Your playing a really good Defensive team, put your defense out there first, and get a short field for you offense. Vic Versa.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'd want the ball. If we're not good enough to drive the ball enough to at least pin them back in their own end early & start the FP battle, we're up against a brick wall anyway.

5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

Not necessarily. Say the Bears made the SB against the Steelers, and Cutty was healthy, would you have trusted that offense enough to score? Would you have trusted Urlacher and the D to stop Roethlisberger? Absolutely. Taking that thought process into the first game against the Bengals, they've a more proven team than we do (2 straight playoff appearances, good but unspectacular O, good D), you have to assume you're going to have some 3 and outs with a new offense, and you have a defense that's proven its reliability early season, for the better part of the last decade. Not saying they should do it absolutely 100% of the time, but it's something to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Excellent points...

I was looking it as being without #54 out there. Without his 'QBing' skills & reads, I have much less faith I guess.

7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

Last year, the defense actually held up for the first time, in his absence. We'll be better off without him being a full time starter (although, if he had stayed as a 2 down linebacker, we'd be a lot better off).

8. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

I went with defer as if there are halftime adjustments to be made along with a deficit to overcome I would want enough shots on goal in the second half to generate as much momentum as possible. It's all relative though, would depend on matchups, injuries, success of initial game plan etc.