Anthony Adams' son won't play football

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    In response to JABF, I would just like to add that while my wife and I chose to "discourage" football, we did not "prohibit" his participation. If he had loved the sport like his Dad did, he would likely be playing even though we would be biting our nails the whole time. While that was OUR decision, I simply CANNOT look down my nose at any family that DOES watch their son's on Friday nights. In my opinion, the benefits of the game are almost worth the risk. The only lifetime experience that even comes close to the dedication, discipline, teamwork and comaraderie of being a part of a football team (especially a successful one) was my time in the Army. Many other sports teach the same lessons, but I don't think they reach the depth of the game of football. There is a reason why war analogies are so often used in football, because the total physical and mental demands are so extreme.

I just think it's every families decision to make and I think my son would benefit from being a part of our local team in many ways, but I have also seen several concussions on our local squad, and one in particular being knocked of the honor role afterwards. None of our kids locally are going to play pro ball, some MAY play college ball, but I believe the risk for concussion is greater than the chance for athletic scholarships and I believe Academic scholarships are the better targets.

This is such a personal decision for each family given what we know today that it should not be used as another element to judge each other. Society has already given us too many of those.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,462 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Or he could, you know, let his son decide what he wants to be involved in and support him in whatever path he chooses... rather than just tell him he can't do something...
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Or, knowing the effects it can have he could strongly suggest not to do it. I have no doubts that there are quite a few NFL players who feel the same. Considering it is a very dangerous, life altering sport where men destroy their bodies for our entertainment.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    benji made the point better.

kids, even young adults tend to have a hard time grasping the long term effects of their choices, so as a parent you should try and steer them from something that could hurt them long term.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I think Evel Knievel would be the next best thing Ric. Life risking type of activity.... or at least life shortening.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    anything harmful, and Adams has the means to make sure his son can do something to make a good living w/out putting his body or health on the line.
  7. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,462 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    teach him how to long snap. lol
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,003 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    219ß
    5 Years old, and she is already deciding what career her son will have? I understand NOT wanting your child to do a certain job, but to decide what job while the kid is only 5 years old? Come on now. Maybe the kid will suck at biology but be a phenomenal theoretical physicist. You cant tell at that age.

Besides, he could always be a Place Kicker.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    I've known more then a few parents that had their kids careers planned out for them, I wouldn't do it, but I'll hardly condem it.
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Football beats the heck out of you. I didn't play organized football but I have played tackle football pick up games with my friends some of whom did play in High School and a few of them played in College. Let me tell you it beats the heck of you. Their was one time where a friend of mine who played LB in High School tackled me so hard that a few people actually thought I got a concussion or had died. I was fine just very sore but after that I knew why I never played football. I was a Baseball and Hockey guy when I was little. Didn't play in HS. I was the sports photographer guy LOL!

One of my friends broke his wrist in his Senior Year of High School and played thru it but now he wishes he hadn't because it screwed up his wrist. He has had three surgery's on it and may need a fourth one soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,846 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Hockey seems like a fun sport, but few play it around here. I love to watch it though. Is the equipment expensive to buy for the kids who play?
  12. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Didn't read it. However I think Adams should support his son on what he wants to do and not say what he should do.

If his son wants to play football, then he should.

Disgusting how he chose a career in the NFL and is trying to get his kid not to do that.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    Mike, people sometimes choose their career b/c it's their best way to make a living, even though it's very dangerous, once they have that "generational wealth" there is no need for their childeren to take those same risks.
  14. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't care. You don't say, I'm gonna make a living at playing football and them turn around and tell or convince you kids not to do the same no mater what.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    So, you don't believe in passing on lessons you learned to your kids in order to try and keep them from doing something you learned could be life threatening?