Anybody know anything on Will Clarke DE

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +476 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,423 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    587ß
    FWIW here's NFP's scouting report. Good size and decent athletic ability but more marginal football skills. If I had to spot him somewhere I'd say he somewhat on the order of guys like Trevor Scott and Austen Lane and if we took him in a later round that's probably who his competition would be. If we don't re-sign Wootton my guess is one of those two will make the roster.

I think Clark is a guy who as an NFL player will be a developmental type prospect with a capital D. He's doesn't seem all that special but the guy who would probably know the most about him is sox. He follows these guys in college pretty closely.

William Clark – West Virginia
    Clark is an interesting player to watch. He plays defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, though with his body type he is better suited to be a 4-3 end. Clark is a very tall, long armed athlete. He is listed as being 6’7" – 275. He has a lean build but looks as though he could easily gain 20 pounds.

As an athlete, he shows good change of direction, body control, and flexibility. He can bend, is light on his feet, and can run well. His play speed is about 4.88. Clark is said to be a top performer in the weight room, but on the field he plays with good but not great strength and power.

Clark has just average instincts, and he can be a bit slow to find the ball. He is not an instant reactor. At the snap, he sometimes gets tall and looks to find the ball. Because of this he can be slow to shed. He looks like a much better player when he just goes. When that happens, he plays lower and gets rid of blocks faster.

Clark plays hard, I have no problem with his competitive nature. He flashes both as a run defender and a pass rusher. When rushing the passer, he flashes a good bull rush but can also use moves and dip his shoulder to get under his opponent. While he didn’t get a high number of sacks (six), he gets a lot of pressures. He also does a good job getting his hands up to disrupt a throw. In the run game, he is inconsistent. Because he can be slow to react it takes him out of some plays. Still, when he is on he can shed quickly and make plays. He will chase the ball and has caught plays from behind.

I feel the 4-3 teams will have more interest in Clark than the 3-4 teams. Though he does have two-gap skills, his body type is more suited to be a 4-3 end. He needs to get a lot bigger to hold up at the point in a 3-4 scheme. Unless I see more at an All-star game, I see Clark as a mid-round pick who will be a productive backup/rotational type player in the NFL.