Anybody think it may we smart to draft DE (practice squad)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I know there is hope for C_Washinton with his size but Clarke seems to have the Physical traits one would want as well. We have needs but it seems to me the later rounds are really the chance to get them developmental players for the future, if you're getting your current starters and depth here you have bigger problems. I think with FA we have the starters and depth and 10 DE's on the team now. Allan, Houston, Young from FA are not going anywhere soon. C Washington will get another yr to see what he has and Bass I suspect will as well. So that leaves a spot for probably Izzy.

upload_2014-4-13_18-47-24.png

I have been watching Clarke for a while and he seems to have moved up a bit. Still a 5th or 6th round pick but I think it was BIH (Bears in Houston) who said something to the extent of if we improve as expected where will we get a future DE from, Allan has 2 years and maybe more to find a replacement for. Clarke has the physical measurables and with some solid coaching could really come on strong. I would like to see the Bears get this guy for the practice squad for a year if possible.

CBS has him rd 3 or 4 and NFL.com has him undrafted. Seems these opinions on drafted vs not drafted is enough to raise interest as a developmental player. Anyway that could be another story.

I upload_2014-4-13_18-54-56.png
    upload_2014-4-13_18-52-32.png

upload_2014-4-13_18-53-17.png
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't think I would draft a guy in the mid rounds to put on the PS. One it's a waste and two if he has promise then somebody could snatch him away and we're out one player and one pick. We had to keep Bass and Washington on the active roster last year to keep either one of them from being snagged, Washington especially, so if we want to do that it would probably be with an UDFA.

We have so may starters, backups and guys to develop now that spending one more pick on an edge guy this year seems a bit foolish. I thgink we'd be far better off double dipping at DT where the need is greater. We're short one DT already, the other is on a one year deal rehabbing an ACL tear, Paea is in his contract year and Ratliff is only signed for two and aging. We also have zip behind these guys on the PS already. If there's a glaring need anywhere on that line it's at DT and NT.
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Y'know Soul if you keep on stealing my lines from me ...
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Where? What?? When??? Why????

I only steal what I need, never more, and then only from the mini mart.
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Depends on someone falling into our lap as a no-brainer BPA. I wouldn't be bothered by us grabbing Chris Smith in the fourth if he's there.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Can he play DT too or are we gonna build an entire eleven out of DEs?
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,696ß
    We had to go with TE's. Lovie is now in TB and we don't think there will be any safeties left after he picks.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Nah, we're safe. I think that was a JA thing. If he couldn't figure out what else to do he had a dart board with Safeties names on it and would toss a dart and take whichever one it hit. Lovie liked his linemen more.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Well anyway it puts us back on track about whats needed ... 11 DE STARTERS ??

Hmmmm ...can any of them play QB ?

Angelo/Lovie was known to take nothing but Safetys in the draft and assign them different titles ...

i. e . Chris Williams ... Punt returner/Free Safety

J'Marcus Webb ... WR/Strong Safety

Chris Conte ... Chris Conte ...Chris Conte ...
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    yeah I guess youre right Lane, Scott, Ozougwa, Robertson, and Izzy. Were set for years to come with these starters.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I think you miss the point even you make in your own OP. That's six DEs right there you are saying will probably make the roster so I ask again. Where you gonna put another one if you can't risk putting him on the PS. Instead of responding with a smart ass answer just answer this one. YOU named the six, not me, and that probably one more than usual. If you take Clarke and he shows promise but can't convincingly beat out any of the others what will you do. No hypotheticals now brother. What's your plan.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I always worry about a team stealing from our PS if we put a guy there with a very high ceiling who was drafted relatively high (even a 4th or 5th round). It's fine for late rounders or UFA's though.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,696ß
    Just part of the game. We do it and we have it done to us. The trick is to only have people on the PS that no one would want. That worked well when JA was here.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, it happens. We've had guys taken from us and we've taken them from others.

I don't object to taking the guy if the idea is to upgrade a player we have and unless it's Izzy (because this kid is built like him) than it would almost have to be Bass or Washington. If not then we're ending up short a DT and a reserve DT to maintain a four man rotation. This why I don't want to get into these who do we take in rounds 4-7 or at least 5-7. There are way too may variables. That's for the draftniks who enjoy that shit. I don't. It's just mental masturbation and I have guitars I can use to lose myself in that mode.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    LOL, we had people of the roster no one else would even sign if we released them when JA was here too. :badmood:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,696ß
    :wank: That's for the mental masturbation part.

I hadn't noticed --- the smilies are back, LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,696ß
    Unfortunately, too true.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Most of them but we still don't have a lot of my faves from years gone by. I wonder if you can import them from elsewhere?

As for the rest there's something sort of peaceful about having my left hand wrapped around my, um.............Telecasters working out blues licks. The other requires the attendant grasp of a female friend with benefits whom I can instruct on the proper uh........fingering techniques. That way we can work out licks together.

:smilebig:
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I was hoping somebody would have comments based on Clarke. After I posted this I seen Clarke going in the 3rd rd in a mock. Just preconceived opinions and nobody wants to think stop and think sometimes. Smart ASS. Yeah here is smart ass answer, below. Guy may go in the 3rd, Nobody hear is interested, and once again I am a Smartass. Izzy is older, I would upgrade the team wherever I can and have no promises with Bass or C. Wash. If this guy can beat improve the team I would look at it. Is it worth it right now, I still say yes because what else you going to get in rd 5 or 6 but this type of a player. If latest mock is right and he really moves up to the 3rd round I doubt we would go for him unless Phil really liked him and had him rated higher than we realize. To respond with you Jerk off and smartass comments is just childish. Not happening again. your blocked.