Anyone besides me surprised Colt Lyerla is still available?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 4dabers, May 13, 2014.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I guess I shouldn't say I'm "surprised" because the dude has some serious issues; but he also has some serious talent. Frankly, I thought we would grab him up as soon as I realized he went undrafted. I honestly figured he would go in the 6th or 7th. I can't say I'm an expert on the dude, but I assumed someone would give him a no risk chance: perhaps his problems are deeper than the public knows. I still think we would be the perfect fit given our TE need and his past relationship with Kyle Long. Perhaps Long's "public" support for him and his support in Phil Emery's office are two different things.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    I thought someone would take him, just not the Bears. But I heard yesterday that this was considered the weakest TE class in several years, so if you are sitting at the middle to back half of it, you apparently are sitting closely at the edge of not good enough has is; then add in the coke problem and no thanks.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Hell no. He got busted in a parking lot doing cocaine, chose drugs over his friends, family and school AND has been blabbering about Sandy Hook being a government conspiracy. The dude is as mentally unsound as that San Diego State runningback that left the combine because god told him to. Not only all of that, but he's got a violent streak too.

It sounds like he has a mental problem, BUT the issue with people like that is getting them to admit and come to terms with it.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I didn't realize the extent of his disturbing personal problems--it's way more than one coke bust--until I read more about him.

Pass. He sounds like a cancer and a head case.
  5. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I was going to say that we should take a flyer until you mentioned the Sandy Hook thing. nah... pass. The guy sounds like the drugs fried something upstairs.
  7. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    What? Sandy Hook a conspiracy? Was it some kind of sick joke? How could anyone say that even in jest?

Perhaps that in itslef is all the answer we need.

Is this a recent thing or back when it happened. If so, then why is Kyle Long still supporting him? This is all too weird. best to keep our distance.
  8. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I've done a bit of Googling since Henry posted his reference to the Sandy Hook incident. All I can say is this guy is a freakin nutjob. No one is THAT desperate for a TE. By all accounts, we've built a good professional locker room and it can probably withstand some challenges, but this dude...Wow. Not worth it. Geez, I feel a little dirty for just starting this thread.
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    This points out that there are things much bigger than football.

IMO this young man is in serious need of professional help. I hope he gets it. Otherwise he will be throwing a very promising future away (not to mention any chance at a happy fulfilling life).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Even if he cleans up the drug addiction, he's still likely to go through life a tinhat wearing consipracy theorist w/a violent streak, plenty of people like that in the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Some really good players went undrafted. This PFT article mentions Colt Lyerla too.

12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Maybe it's because this draft was pretty deep all the way through the first four rounds or maybe teams are just getting sick of paying out money to guys who can't manage to behave like adults but there were quite a few draftable players with mid round grades who didn't get drafted including the LB the Bears signed, Christian Jones.

After watching the kids highlight video he looks like he has NFL talent but he blows hot for drugs at the Combine and aces himself right out of the draft. I mean it's not a surprise drug screening. They all know they're gonna be tested so if they still have something in their system it doesn't show much intelligence or restraint.

Look at what's happening with Justin Blackmon. Jax is washing their hands of the guy and he was a top ten pick two years ago. The league is coming down hard on these guys with suspensions so why take a chance on having them on the roster and eating cap space if there's even a small chance they won't stay clean.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    And as many of us have been discussing in recent weeks here, the margin of error in the draft is a killer as it is. These draft picks are precious as teams realize it's hard to build a winner through FA's with the cap realities nowadays. Why needlessly increase the chances of a draft "miss" with these guys? It's okay to take some carefully considered risks, but teams are understandably being VERY careful not to throw away a pick on a guy being stupid like this.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Exactly. Teams need to balance out their higher priced vet contracts with guys still playing on their rookie deals and out performing them. Ever since that new CBA was signed draft picks have risen in value.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Ever since I first watched "The Wizard of Oz", I never trusted people wearing tin hats. Plus, they squeak.

True story. We had a person at one place I worked that thought people had implanted things in her head and were reading her thoughts. She would pull her hair out to try to get to the implants. Scary stuff. Some people seriously need help and most won't get it.
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    One of the locals thought "they" could read his mind due to the interference on the tv that happened now and then so he made himself a tin hat. When the interference kept up he made one for his dog. It takes all kinds.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    LOL.... Well, maybe instead of keeping people from reading their minds, the dog was able to get Direct TV.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Guess you guys don't want to hear about the time I was abducted by aliens then huh?
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Was that you I saw on the ship?
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz: