Anyone besides me surprised Colt Lyerla is still available?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 4dabers, May 13, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    If you guys start swapping stories about being probed, I'm outa here!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Probed? I would not be "into" that.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    but the aliens would be....

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Aw thanks but my birthday is still about a month off. The cake will be stale by then.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nah that didn't happen but I can tell you this if you promise to keep it a secret. The lady Aaron Rodgers is dating isn't really Olivia Munn. She's a venomous snake like alien from a distant galaxy sent to suck out his life force.

Seems the Supreme Ruler of the Universe is a Bears fan after all.
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Not if you wrap it in tinfoil....

edit* Dammit, you posted again, killing my punchline. :)
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    :bah: Ah yes but it survived even that. Good punch line. There's a future for you in comedy after your number crunching days are done. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Pack just invited him to camp.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Then I hope he does enough to get signed and then get caught with a kilo of snort in his nose. I know, that's not very nice...but I'm not always very nice, especially when it comes to THEM.:gbsux:
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Just saw that. Maybe he'll come to the conclusion that Jimmy Hoffa is buried under the north endzone in Lambeau Field and that Bart Starr knew about it all along. Or maybe he's finally cleaned up his act. Cocaine can make your brain do funny things.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    We may be finding out how good the kid really is. The Packers just signed him. Not sure if he will stick or not, but he has talent so he may end up on the team.

Packers sign TE Colt Lyerla, DE Khyri Thornton

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 19, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
    [​IMG] Getty Images
    The Packers gave tight end Colt Lyerla a tryout at their rookie minicamp over the weekend.
    Now, they are apparently set to give him a longer audition.
    The club said Monday it had signed Lyerla, the ex-Oregon star whose collegiate career was marked by a number of off-field incidents.
    Lyerla joins six other tight ends on the Packers’ roster, including third-round pick Richard Rodgers and veterans Andrew Quarless and Brandon Bostick. The Packers’ top player at the position in recent years, Jermichael Finley, remains an unrestricted free agent.
    In addition to signing Lyerla, the Packers announced they had reached a deal with third-round pick Khyri Thornton, a defensive end from Southern Mississippi. Thornton (6-3, 304) notched 39 tackles (6.5 for loss) and a half-sack as a senior for the Golden Eagles. He’s likely to be a reserve in his first season with Green Bay.
    In other transactions Monday, the Packers signed two undrafted rookies — Hawaii safety Charles Clay and Miami (Fla.) defensive end Luther Robinson — and waived second-year tight end Raymond Webber.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Some team was bound to take a chance on him and he'll find cocaine a little less in the mainstream in GB than most other places. He may have to give it up and replace it with an addiction to Friday night perch fry's. I thought I was over mine until last summer but one trip back there and it came back. I ORDERED A DOUBLE!!!! :sad44:
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Whatever Colt is strung out on isn't comparable to what inspired some of the posts in this thread, lol
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    I hope he kicks some butt. Every kid screws up some more than others, hell as adults we screw up, in life you just try to get wiser and make better decisions as you age. I hope this kid makes it and proves all the doubters wrong. Hopefully he will realize he has been given an amazing opportunity and he respects that.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    One more thought, it would have cost nothing to bring him in as a UDFA or a try out. If he becomes the next nightmare up North I will blame Emery much as everyone wants to hold Tuckers feat to the fire I am tired of mediocrity. If we do not win it all and missed an opportunity to upgrade Cinabonn then its on Emery.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If the kid has a drug problem or another behavioral issue that hasn't been addressed then his chances of turning the corner are pretty slim. GB has always seemed to be more willing to take a chance on that type of player than we have.

If he does turn his life and his career around I'll be happy for him but there's no way we'll ever know if that would have happened had he come to Chicago. Any potential outcome is no more than a guess and it could be totally different.

For now I'd say we're far better off not having the potential distraction around. If Kyle Long believed in Lyerla that strongly then maybe he'd have lobbied Emery to bring him in but it doesn't look like he did. I just think he's one more possible headache we don't need.
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    BS big difference being in GB then in Chi-town, just b/c he makes it there doesn't mean he could have handled a much larger city. This might be the best place for him, and if he does turn it around I would put more credance towrads the place, then the person himself; and I'd still not want the Bears to go anywhere near him if he ever became a FA
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    +1
    It's a tough call in these high risk high reward players. You look like a genius when they work. The risk I see in these situations is that if you go into the regular season with one of these guys, you have to be able to count on them at that point. It can hurt a team when mid-season a key player, a key part of your offense ends up with legal or discipline issues. It's like changing the airplane's engine once it is in the air. Tough to do. Teams are already having to battle lots of player injuries now, so you'd like to be able to count on your healthy players not screwing up and missing games due to drugs, arrests, or whatever.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah, and then you have John Lithgow screaming "there's a little man out on the wing". LOL

We took that chance with ERod and even after giving him a second chance we lost. We not only wasted a pick but we wasted time developing another player for that role because IF he would have changed we wouldn't be having this thread now. We'd have our Colt Lyerla. It's really a multi-level problem which is why most companies won't tolerate drug use either. You blow a UA and you're gone. No second chances. No matter how good an employee you may be otherwise there's always another out there who doesn't have the same problem.

Geez the NFL goes ape over a little marijuana use and coke or meth are a hundred times worse. If Lyerla has a drug problem that hasn't been dealt with I can almost guarantee you it will pop up again within the next year or two and he'll be suspended. If he has an addiction as long as it exists he'll never be stable enough to depend on. If the Pack can get him straightened out more power to them but we don't need the headache again.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    I agree with BS here (Is that the opposite of calling BS on something)? It would have cost us nothing to kick the tires. We would have had a better read on his character, etc. However, sometimes you just can't read a guy because they hide who they are so well (aka Hernandez)