Anyone besides me surprised Colt Lyerla is still available?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 4dabers, May 13, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I am sorry but no risk, its not like we wasted a draft pick on him. As far as GB being better suited I do not buy that either. Chicago has the vets and far superior counselors in the Chicago than GB. Maybe thats why we lose to them all the time, because we think they are better. Being an ex-athlete you realize there is only one winner, everyone else lost. There may be some consolation in 2nd for some but the bottom line is you lost.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    http://narconon-chicago-illinois.com/addiction-chicago-il/cocaine-addiction
    ...In Chicago IL, cocaine addiction is high. The drug ranks number 1 in the state as far as availability ....

Yet you want the Cocaine addict to come to Chicago w/his old buddy who's finally clean, our former #1 pick, and think it's the same risk as GB who doesn't have any high pick player ties to him, or anywhere NEAR the cocaine problem in their city.

Keep believing that. IF coke was his only issue I'd almost be on board, but the guy is a first class whackjob conspiracy theorist w/violent tendancies to boot.

And I'd again point out that this was considered one of the WORST TE draft classes in the HISTORY of the NFL, so his upside cannot be looked at as all that high anyways, not to mention the whackjob/violent/coke problems. That's 4 strikes against the kid.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,884 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,184ß
    You mean he masturbates well?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,196ß
    Green Bay believes you can never have too many of these guys. They've probably studied his metrics and figured a talented wackjob is worth the risk. :lol 027:
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    no I mean he is a conspiracy theorist that honestly believes sandyhook was a govt job and all the parents were merely lying about what happened there.

the kid isn't mentally stable in a sport that requires them to be fairly intellegent.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    GB is in the middle of F'n no where, and can easily keep tabs on the goof, and if he is starting to slip can more easily hide it b/c no one from outside GB is staying in GB outside of when the NFL is there.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,884 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,184ß
    ah hell... you're no fun...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Addicts are going to find it no matter where they are at. Four hrs he can be in Chicago if he wants it that bad. The point is if he cleaned his act up like has been reported, He moved away from it all to get a fresh start. If he genuinely is making an effort it does no harm to Kick the tires as BiH says.

Rumors run rampant once media goes negative on ya, Hell he probably was in on the JFK assassination too. I am pretty sure if he was as mentally unstable as you suggest he would be no where near GB either. Not buyin it
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    you don't know that he's cleaned up his act, that's your assumption base on reports, that well could have been put out there to help him get drafted.

And you don't look for a fresh start at ground zero of your biggest addiction. Ya there is a big F'n problem to just kick the tires, b/c once an addict always an addict, see Phill Seymore Huffman(or whatever the dudes name was)you don't ever fully recover. So sure 1st mo', maybe 1st year he's fine but in Chicago where he's surrounded by it 24-7 the temptation could well over come him. GB doesn't have near the temptations so it's honestly the best place for him. I honestly cannot think of a place better in the entire NFL.

GB would be able to keep a MUCH closer eye on him then the Bears would, and a 4 hr drive is a HUGE difference then a phone call and a guy showing up in 15min's.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    We will look back and realize we screwed up. You are right I do not know if he is clean nor do you, but I am pretty sure the Packers believe he is or he would not be there. The kid was a first round talent before the season and a position of need. If the kid is going to do drugs he will get it anywhere so 4 hrs not that far and I am sure they have it in GB as well, its everywhere open your eyes. It may not be as publicized in GB but that does not mean it is not there. I agree you hear Miami, NY, Chicago, and LA all the time but the gangs and Mafia are still alive and well and they cover every corner of the map.
    What Are the Packers Getting in Colt Lyerla the Football Player?

By Zach Kruse, Featured Columnist
    May 20, 2014

NEXT ARTICLE »
    Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
    [​IMG]

Paul Connors/Associated Press
    Reads
    Comments
    You won't find many headlines about new Green Bay Packerstight end Colt Lyerla that do not include some wording of thephrase "talented but troubled."
    Lyerla's off-the-field problems—which include suspensions, an eventual departure from Oregon, cocaine possession andgovernment conspiracy peddling—are all well documented and widely available. His obvious red flags remain the central reason why he went undrafted in the 2014 NFL draft and then received nothing more than a tryout opportunity with the Packers.
    Believe it or not, less is probably known about Colt Lyerla, the football player.
    All transgressions off the field notwithstanding, Lyerla combines rare athleticism and unique versatility to provide a starting-quality talent package to the tight end position at the next level. After studying the majority of his 2012 snaps, it became clear he can be a difference-maker in the NFL.

One quick note on this process, which I think is important: I do not know Colt Lyerla personally. I was not a part of his interview process before the draft. I did not attend the Packers rookie minicamp. These realities negate me from providing a full and honest look at what kind of person he is when not on the football field, or how he interacts with other players in the locker room. For that reason, I will decline to make any assumptions on his character or makeup as a human being.
    However, I do believe in second chances, and that's exactly what Ted Thompson and the Packers appear to be giving Lyerla now.
    Most know the off-the-field risk in the former Oregon tight end. But here's what the Packers are getting in Lyerla on the field:

Yards After the Catch
    No tight end in the 2014 class, save for maybe Eric Ebron (who went No. 10 overall to the Detroit Lions), possesses more running ability after the catch than Lyerla. In fact, he was so good with the ball in his hands, Oregon freely used Lyerla—a decorated prep running back—as a primary ball-carrier on some formations.
    "As a freshman I compared him to (Rob) Gronkowski," one scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "They played him at tight end, H-back, fullback. In high school he was one of the top rushers in the nation."
    Over three years in Eugene, Lyerla carried 16 times for 94 yards and two touchdowns. Seven of those carries and 67 of his yards came in one 2012 game against Arizona.
    Here's one of his seven carries that night:

[​IMG]
    Draft Breakdown

You just don't see many tight ends with this kind of lateral agility, strength and straight-line speed. Lyerla takes the handoff and makes one swift cut outside, before delivering a crushing stiff-arm to a would-be tackler and then accelerating up the sidelines. The run goes for 20 yards.
    But Lyerla was equally deadly when Oregon got him the football as a receiver.
    He combines impressive acceleration with tremendous body control and an unrivaled reluctance to go to ground. Routinely, Lyerla either ran away from tacklers or bowled them over, and it usually took a crowd of defenders to finally get No. 15 on the turf.
    Maybe Lyerla's most impressive display of run-after-the-catch ability came against Stanford in 2012:

[​IMG]
    Draft Breakdown

He catches a quick, mostly routine out route against the defending linebacker. His speed out of the break and after the catch allows him to slip the diving tackle attempt from the linebacker, and then he lowers his shoulder to run over the pursuing safety. The safety arrives in good position, but Lyerla's power at the point of attack puts No. 8 on his heels and eventually on the ground. It then takes three other defenders putting a hit on Lyerla to finally take him off his feet.
    The Packers will like his ability to make plays after the catch, especially if Jermichael Finley (neck) doesn't return to Green Bay.According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Finley averaged 9.5 yards after the catch last season, which led all tight ends with at least 20 catches. He also created 10 missed tackles in just five games.
    The Packers fell in love with giving Finley short passes in space—particularly in the short flats—and then letting him chew up yards after the catch. A former All-State high school running back in Oregon, Lyerla has the kind of physical attributes necessary to be a similar menace after the catch in the NFL.
    Also, don't count out what the Packers could do with him in terms of formations. Lyerla caught one of his six touchdowns in 2012 on a flare out from the backfield. The Packers can move him around—from in-line to the backfield and even in the slot—in an effort to provide better run-after-the-catch opportunities.

Middle of the Field Receiver
    Any starting tight end in today's game needs to be able to work the middle of the field. Busting the seam, sitting down against zones and providing a comfort blanket underneath are all things the best tight ends in today's NFL do consistently well.
    Lyerla made the most of his rare opportunities to get down the middle of the field for Oregon.
    His dominant physical tools helped. At the combine in Indianapolis,Lyerla ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds—third fastest amongst tight ends and only a tick behind Ebron (4.6)—and also posted top numbers in the vertical jump (39", first) and broad jump (10'8", tied for first). He did it all while standing 6'4" (same height as Ebron) and weighing 242 pounds (only eight pounds lighter than Ebron).
    Using those tools, Lyerla burned Cal for two big plays over the middle in 2012.
    Here we see Lyerla attacking the deep seam in between coverages:

[​IMG]
    Draft Breakdown

The play-action fake helps this play develop, but watch as Lyerlabeats the nickel cornerback inside and then catches the pass beyond the safety, who is attempting to recover deep. It's a small window, but Lyerla creates enough separation—using mostly straight-line speed—to provide his quarterback an opening to make the throw.
    The Packers could use this exact look a lot in 2014. Play fakes toEddie Lacy out of a one-back, shotgun look, with Lyerla (or any other tight end) positioned in-line, could create big-play chances down the middle of the field. It's a matter of fooling the linebackers and occupying the safeties, both of which Aaron Rodgers is very good at accomplishing.
    The red zone is another important area for tight ends. The middle of the field can be a weak spot against heavily used red-zone defenses.
    The second time Lyerla split two deep defenders against Cal, he ended up in the end zone for six:

[​IMG]
    Draft Breakdown

Lyerla beats the initial jam from the defender on the line and works his way inside of the covering safety, who is floating around in his area. This is heavy zone coverage all the way, from the linebackers to the safeties. Teams revert to zone inside the 20-yard line because it allows defenses to further shrink the field. It can be hard to find room inside a confined space when seven or more defenders drop into a zone.
    But Lyerla finds the weak spot in Cal's zone, and when his quarterback looks off the deep safety to his right, he's open down the middle of the field.
    Lyerla's big frame and jumping ability allows him to make this catch—the ball was thrown somewhat high—look mostly routine. He snatches the pass with his 10.25" hands for the score.
    Lyerla might not be Rob Gronkowski in the red zone, but he's more than athletic enough to create mismatches and work the seam.Lyerla will likely be more of a Julius Thomas-type weapon inside the 20. The Broncos move him around and find the best matchup. And at 6'5" and 250 pounds, he usually wins when the Denver offense gets him the right look.
    Compare the physical traits of Lyerla and Thomas coming out (Thomas' combine profile can be viewed here). The two are almost identical, with the athletic nod going slightly Lyerla's way. Might Rodgers and the Packers have their own version of Thomas now on the roster?

Blocking
    It wouldn't be fair to call Lyerla a dominant down-to-down blocker. He can lose balance at the point, and he's not physically strong enough (15 reps at the combine) to consistently move defenders on the edge. But he is a try-hard blocker who understands angles and never gives up on a play.
    Lyerla is also plenty experienced engaging and walling off players from his time in Oregon's run-heavy offense. He enters the NFL needing refinement, but there's potential for Lyerla to become a legitimate two-way tight end.
    Below is one example of Lyerla getting to the edge, engaging his man and walling off the running lane:

[​IMG]
    Draft Breakdown

He lines up in the backfield. The play calls for Lyerla to be the lead blocker for a quarterback sprint to the right of the formation. Lyerladoes his job in finishing off the double-team on the edge, and Oregon has an easy touchdown to the pylon.
    The Packers will want to see more of Lyerla taking on defensive ends and linebackers one-on-one in the running game. He'll need to become a more trusted in-line blocker. The tools are there.
    More than likely, however, Lyerla's role—if he makes the team—will be as a move tight end. The Packers can put him all over the field, either as a bigger receiver in the slot or as a more athletic fullback in the backfield.
    In fact, he could slide right into the role vacated by former fifth-round pick D.J. Williams, who the Packers attempted—with little success—to make into a move tight end.

Who is Colt Lyerla, the Football Player?
    On the field, Lyerla has all the physical tools to become a starting NFL tight end. He has speed, jumping ability, production down the field and after the catch, and a workman-like attitude to blocking.
    His ceiling might be as a more athletic version of Julius Thomas, who caught 14 touchdown passes for the Broncos last season. The two are similar players, in terms of their size and impressive body control. Lyerla's versatility and ability after the catch reminds of former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez.
    There might be roadblocks for Lyerla off the field. Maybe his past will eliminate his future as an NFL player.
    Or, maybe the stable environment of the Packers organization will allow Lyerla to once again thrive on the football field. Because without much doubt, Lyerla can be a game-changing chess piece when between the white lines.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    their getting highlight reels? Sweet! Well shit Fales is going to be a starter for the Bears in 2-3 years and Lynch is going to be the #2 back behind Carey after Forte is gone....shit if only I had looked at youtube!!!!!

He was a first round talent based on who??? the draft experts that constantly get it wrong? The guys that said Nix/Jernigan were top 20 picks, and Tuitt was a late first rounder? There is a reason he/they fell. And the Bears might regret it, or any team that didn't pick him up(see Brady/Romo) but far more often no one ever remembers these kids that everyone was going to regret.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I guess Chris Carter and Michael Irvin never should have played football then and been given a second chance. Good to know the NFL and the Hall of Fame are wrong.
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yeah the Hernandez thing is kind of a shock but someone somewhere knew more about his dark side than they're letting on. He didn't just wake up one day after he became a successful NFL player and decide to get involved with the shit he has. I'll stop at calling him the accused because so far that's all he is but to even be accused of the stuff he has should make some of his old teammates shiver.

If we believe that Phil Emery does a great job of vetting players with some prior personal issues as he did with players like Marshall and most recently with Ka'Deem Carey then we have to believe that he did the same with Lyerla and decided it wasn't worth kicking his tires. On top of that he had Kyle Long to ask about him and it seems that even Kyle wouldn't stick his neck out for the guy so what does that tell us?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I also feel like Kyle would have been under a bit of pressure, even if it was only media driven, to help guide him or mentor him.

That's not what Kyle needs as he enters his second season; he needs to focus on his own job and not worry about checking in on Colt as he transitions to the NFL.

I've read as much as I can read about Colt and hoped he was a success story. Until he signed with the Packers. I don't want him to end up like Philip Seymore Hoffman but I SURE as hell don't want him to succeed on the field. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be good, especially with Rodgers and the GB offense. So I'm torn what I want to see happen with him.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    lets play the exception game now colts gonna be a hof'r!!!! fck emery what were u thinking!
    ts
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,196ß
    I hope he straightens his life out. I just don't want him to play well against us. Other than that, I wish him the best. I don't wish bad on anybody.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Sorry but with a guy with a drug problem there's ALWAYS a risk. You just don't want to see it guys. I've been down that road before and getting people to trust you again is a process not an event. If you make it the latter then you're usually in for a big disappointment when the guy relapses and that usually happens after some kind of commitment to him has already been made so there IS a risk.

Someone who had so little regard for his team and teammates as Lyerla isn't a guy who would fit in very well with someone like Brandon Marshall whose about as much opposite of that as you can get. Maybe you want to think that being around good guys will make him better but that usually doesn't work and all it does is put a babysitting burden on some of your star players when they don't need it.

Look, this guy didn't just snort a little nose candy once in a public parking lot. This is a guy whose making outlandish statements about Sandy Hook and a government conspiracy. So he's either a militia type, a "truther" who looks for conspiracies, or his brain has been so fried by coke or meth or whatever else it is he can use to get his highs that he probably sees little green moon men outside his window too. I'm opting for the drug thing.

So to say there was no risk just because we didn't need to spend a draft pick on him is IMHO shortsighted and incorrect. There's also an even bigger risk if he makes the team and you come to depend on him and then he falls apart. Isn't that what happened at Oregon? Ask NE about that with Hernandez. So there's a huge risk once you're willing to look at all of the possibilities and when you do the risks outweigh the potential reward right now. Later who knows?
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Not going back and forth no more on this just your Once an Addict always and Addict comment is very closed minded. Generally I agree with many of your posts and thoughts, we disagree on this one. Lettin go......
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's fine but you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that once an addict, always an addict and I can say that because I was and am no more. My issue was with alcohol and not cocaine or meth but alcohol is still a drug. Brother recovery is a process not an event. Trust me on that. I've been around it plenty while I was dealing with my own issues. I'm not close minded, I'm experienced in it.

Maybe Lyerla has had an awakening but the odds are against that right now. That's why I said later who knows. So it's not once and addict always an addict but relapses early on are common and addicts will always tell you they're cured but you know what? They lie like a cheap rug and they'll keep doing it because they've been doing it so long they don't know another way.

So I'll let it go by repeating what I did before. If you or any other Bears fan trust Phil Emery's process of vetting players over off field issues like Marshall, like Ka'Deem Carey, and maybe a few others and he was willing to ride with them then what makes you think he didn't vet Lyerla and come to the exact opposite conclusion? He had every opportunity to do it and also every opportunity to either sign him as an UDFA or just invite him for a try out but he didn't. Not to be insulting but do you know something about Lyerla that Phil Emery and his scouting staff don't?

Whether you're right or I'm right makes no difference. The only thing that counts is that Phil Emery didn't believe he was worth the risk. All I did was agree and maybe try to understand why.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    that's fine, but seeing it first hand(my sisters first husband was a pot head, went to jail "cleaned up" is still a pot head 1 day upon release), and her 2nd husband(alcoholic) is still an alcoholic, he's "cleaned up" only b/c his new wife strong armed him into it, but he's not allowed to drink at all. My grandmother was an alcoholic until the day she died, no matter how hard my grandfather tried to keep it from her, to the point he didn't drink. These are a few of my personal intimate relationships dealing w/addiction, sorry if those make me "close minded". Can some finally clean up for a time, sure but the urge is always there. I've yet to know an addict that was 100% clean and you're asking me to believe a guy w/a coke problem(serious hard core addiction) is now reformed after a year or two and isn't going to have a relapse in a city brimming w/cocaine when he's going to have a ton of spare time and excess money I'll never buy that.