Anyone besides me surprised Colt Lyerla is still available?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 4dabers, May 13, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,141ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    their getting highlight reels? Sweet! Well shit Fales is going to be a starter for the Bears in 2-3 years and Lynch is going to be the #2 back behind Carey after Forte is gone....shit if only I had looked at youtube!!!!!

He was a first round talent based on who??? the draft experts that constantly get it wrong? The guys that said Nix/Jernigan were top 20 picks, and Tuitt was a late first rounder? There is a reason he/they fell. And the Bears might regret it, or any team that didn't pick him up(see Brady/Romo) but far more often no one ever remembers these kids that everyone was going to regret.

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,573ß
    Ratings:
    +1,472 / 4 / -0
    I guess Chris Carter and Michael Irvin never should have played football then and been given a second chance. Good to know the NFL and the Hall of Fame are wrong.

3. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,191ß
    Ratings:
    +2,121 / 7 / -3

Yeah the Hernandez thing is kind of a shock but someone somewhere knew more about his dark side than they're letting on. He didn't just wake up one day after he became a successful NFL player and decide to get involved with the shit he has. I'll stop at calling him the accused because so far that's all he is but to even be accused of the stuff he has should make some of his old teammates shiver.

If we believe that Phil Emery does a great job of vetting players with some prior personal issues as he did with players like Marshall and most recently with Ka'Deem Carey then we have to believe that he did the same with Lyerla and decided it wasn't worth kicking his tires. On top of that he had Kyle Long to ask about him and it seems that even Kyle wouldn't stick his neck out for the guy so what does that tell us?

• Like Like x 1
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    I also feel like Kyle would have been under a bit of pressure, even if it was only media driven, to help guide him or mentor him.

That's not what Kyle needs as he enters his second season; he needs to focus on his own job and not worry about checking in on Colt as he transitions to the NFL.

I've read as much as I can read about Colt and hoped he was a success story. Until he signed with the Packers. I don't want him to end up like Philip Seymore Hoffman but I SURE as hell don't want him to succeed on the field. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be good, especially with Rodgers and the GB offense. So I'm torn what I want to see happen with him.

• Like Like x 4
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,141ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    lets play the exception game now colts gonna be a hof'r!!!! fck emery what were u thinking!
    ts

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,333ß
    Ratings:
    +4,622 / 4 / -1
    I hope he straightens his life out. I just don't want him to play well against us. Other than that, I wish him the best. I don't wish bad on anybody.

• Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,191ß
    Ratings:
    +2,121 / 7 / -3
    Sorry but with a guy with a drug problem there's ALWAYS a risk. You just don't want to see it guys. I've been down that road before and getting people to trust you again is a process not an event. If you make it the latter then you're usually in for a big disappointment when the guy relapses and that usually happens after some kind of commitment to him has already been made so there IS a risk.

Someone who had so little regard for his team and teammates as Lyerla isn't a guy who would fit in very well with someone like Brandon Marshall whose about as much opposite of that as you can get. Maybe you want to think that being around good guys will make him better but that usually doesn't work and all it does is put a babysitting burden on some of your star players when they don't need it.

Look, this guy didn't just snort a little nose candy once in a public parking lot. This is a guy whose making outlandish statements about Sandy Hook and a government conspiracy. So he's either a militia type, a "truther" who looks for conspiracies, or his brain has been so fried by coke or meth or whatever else it is he can use to get his highs that he probably sees little green moon men outside his window too. I'm opting for the drug thing.

So to say there was no risk just because we didn't need to spend a draft pick on him is IMHO shortsighted and incorrect. There's also an even bigger risk if he makes the team and you come to depend on him and then he falls apart. Isn't that what happened at Oregon? Ask NE about that with Hernandez. So there's a huge risk once you're willing to look at all of the possibilities and when you do the risks outweigh the potential reward right now. Later who knows?

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,573ß
    Ratings:
    +1,472 / 4 / -0
    Not going back and forth no more on this just your Once an Addict always and Addict comment is very closed minded. Generally I agree with many of your posts and thoughts, we disagree on this one. Lettin go......

9. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,191ß
    Ratings:
    +2,121 / 7 / -3
    That's fine but you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that once an addict, always an addict and I can say that because I was and am no more. My issue was with alcohol and not cocaine or meth but alcohol is still a drug. Brother recovery is a process not an event. Trust me on that. I've been around it plenty while I was dealing with my own issues. I'm not close minded, I'm experienced in it.

Maybe Lyerla has had an awakening but the odds are against that right now. That's why I said later who knows. So it's not once and addict always an addict but relapses early on are common and addicts will always tell you they're cured but you know what? They lie like a cheap rug and they'll keep doing it because they've been doing it so long they don't know another way.

So I'll let it go by repeating what I did before. If you or any other Bears fan trust Phil Emery's process of vetting players over off field issues like Marshall, like Ka'Deem Carey, and maybe a few others and he was willing to ride with them then what makes you think he didn't vet Lyerla and come to the exact opposite conclusion? He had every opportunity to do it and also every opportunity to either sign him as an UDFA or just invite him for a try out but he didn't. Not to be insulting but do you know something about Lyerla that Phil Emery and his scouting staff don't?

Whether you're right or I'm right makes no difference. The only thing that counts is that Phil Emery didn't believe he was worth the risk. All I did was agree and maybe try to understand why.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,141ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    that's fine, but seeing it first hand(my sisters first husband was a pot head, went to jail "cleaned up" is still a pot head 1 day upon release), and her 2nd husband(alcoholic) is still an alcoholic, he's "cleaned up" only b/c his new wife strong armed him into it, but he's not allowed to drink at all. My grandmother was an alcoholic until the day she died, no matter how hard my grandfather tried to keep it from her, to the point he didn't drink. These are a few of my personal intimate relationships dealing w/addiction, sorry if those make me "close minded". Can some finally clean up for a time, sure but the urge is always there. I've yet to know an addict that was 100% clean and you're asking me to believe a guy w/a coke problem(serious hard core addiction) is now reformed after a year or two and isn't going to have a relapse in a city brimming w/cocaine when he's going to have a ton of spare time and excess money I'll never buy that.