Arkush: "Bears are not ready to run with the big boys yet"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    This is not a bashing of the Bears, but rather an objective evaluation after 5 games. I think it's an accurate evaluation of the team - no "sugar coating" but it also doesn't go too the other extreme.

There's only so much the Bears can do this 1st season of the Trestman era. We probably should be positive about the "work in progress" that we have, but realize we need another off-season of some player upgrades. Trestman and the coaches will get better over the course of this year too. I just think we're delusional if we think THIS is "The Year" we are an elite team like the New Orleans Saints.

I especially liked this from Hub: "We also have to acknowledge the offensive line still is a work in progress. It's better, but needs to get a lot better to play with the big boys."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I agree. Pretty much sums up the realities of the situation.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß

Exactly BIH. Our expectations for this season (mine included) were too high. Hell, I was talking about how we were going to "sweep the Packers" this year and win the division. How delusional is THAT one? :(

Now we're getting a "dose of reality" and having to get a bit more "real" for this season's expectations. I still think we're a good team, but one with some really tough issues. Two of them that I see are the lines - both offensive line and defensive line. The OL isn't so hot run-blocking, and they're still getting it together pass blocking. They look like they can be really really good (hopefully), but they have definitely not "arrived" yet as a great OL. I think we (me too) had them down as 5 studs this year. I guess we had such poor play there for years that we're over rating them at THIS early point.

The DL was something we thought would be a strength this year. With 2 Pro Bowl players and some people around them we thought would be solid. Instead it looks horrible, and a huge weakness for the team to have to overcome. I was in denial on that too. I thought they'd be GREAT this season. I was wrong.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I hoped at the beginning of the season that we would win a few games just because of the improved talent on the offensive side of the ball. Well that is exactly what has happened. But I did not expect the D line to be so bad. Melton's injury and Peppers drop off really hurt us.

I am now hoping that the Offensive can improve. I know this is a passing league and that is the direction I think we need to go, but Forte and Bush can help when the defense is gassed because it has been on the field so long.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    "Another real concern with this Bears offense five weeks into the season is it still doesn't seem to know exactly what it is or wants to be. I find it near impossible to believe the plan going into this game was to call five running plays and 19 passes in the first half."

Here is the real problem, we have plenty of weapons, but aren't using the best one, or his backup. I just did the stats for all the weapons and cutler, and Forte is averaging under 20 rush attempts, and Bush is only averaging 1. That isn't enough. If the D is that worried about stopping Marhsal the Bears should have 30+ rush attempts to force them back to 8 in the box.
  6. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    A good deal of that has to do with slow starts. They come out early, get stuffed on the run, pass ineffectively, a turnover or 2 and BAM, its time to play catch up. Trestman is a great 2nd half play caller, but sometimes its too late then. He needs to make those adjustments on the fly instead of late in the game. Look at the few games we were up early in. Forte did well. When we are behind, he is taken out of the equation. Even late in this last game we went back to him and it paid off on that drive. There has to be a bit more balance.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    The run-blocking is abysmal on many plays. I see zero improvement over last year's run blocking. Forte get what he gets, on his own, on many plays. Hopefully Kromer can teach the boys to run block. They ain't getting it yet. Butt-ugly run blocking.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The receivers are the best run blockers. He is better off going outside most of the time. B Marsh and Jeffrey are beasts on the edge, the line.... not so much
  9. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The medicine is hard to swallow, but I have to admit it should make me better. Improvement, improvement, that is where I need to focus my expectations as a fan. Playoffs would be a worthy goal, and it is not like the team is horrible. There still isn't a game on the schedule that can't be won, and that's something!

There are still many NFL teams that are playing better football. It is going to take some productive work to reach 10 - 6 and match Lovie's last year. The franchise wasn't added on to, it was torn down and rebuilt. Only the lot and utility hookups were left behind... I'm impressed with the foundation and groundwork that has been done but it is unacceptable as a final product if your sold into Emery's plan. They are not ready to call the cabinet builders in to finish off the trophy room just yet, despite our anticipation.

From what I see, we are going to have to reorder some of the material we have to work with also... That is disheartening, because I thought we had some more time before the glue set.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I can't say that I ever expected to sweep the division, but I did expect to beat the Lions, even knowing they are a good team. I am really not too far off from where I thought we would be. I had hoped 4-1, and we are 3-2. I had hoped, but not really expected to beat the Saints. After the year started and I saw how the D was playing, I knew that was going to be a loss. I will be disappointed if we lose either of our next two games.

The things I didn't see were the D that we are fielding. I just did not expect that. I did expect a drop in ST. Not to this extent,but I expected a drop, so not TOO surprised there. I actually am happy with the O. I did not expect Cutler to be "cured" immediately. I did not expect him regress like he did in Detroit, but looking back, that was probably unreasonable. It is reasonable that there will be ebbs and flows and that he will get better and be worse again. The main thing is, how will he end the year? Will he really have evolved, or will it be incremental, and what will be managments reaction to that?
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    The slow starts are a reason, but not a good one. We have rarely been down more then 2 scores early so there is no reason to have under 10 rush attempts at the 1/2. and the team, at the end of the 3rd had a very nice drive that was mostly runs and they moved the ball really well..it ended w/the Earl drop I beleive. One thing I have believed since I was a kid, and still do is that rb's; really wr's to a smaller extent, need to get lathered up w/touches. Forte averaged 4.8 ypa yesterday, and that is his average on the season, and it's 7.4 per rec yesterday and 8.4 this year....Trestman has to use him especially if the D is going to take away Marshal. Forte that means no 8 man fronts.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Yeah, but it would be nice to have offensive linemen who can run-block. I agree the WR's are great at blocking. I think B.Marsh has set a good example for the other WR's in this particular area. Marshall has always been good to mix it up as a blocker.

But we still need the OL to open up holes too.
  13. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The other medicine that is hard to swallow is that our previous wins were not all that decisive. Rushed comebacks. A little luck. We had to know going against better teams we would get beat. The good news is so far we haven't been totally blown out. We come back, but it's always a little too late (so far). I wish we could use that comeback spirit in the first half, not just the last quarter.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +436 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    If we could of played like this last week in Detroit we would have had a completely different outcome. Can we beat the elite teams, not with out a little luck and a lot of mojo on our side.These 2 teams Bears and Saints are in such a role reversal since last time they played weird how time changes all things. Father time has not been kind to our D. Welcome to Bear football by the time we get one thing fixed 2 other things breakdown D and ST. Well back to the drawing board.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree. If the Lovie regime was turned over a few years ago, we may have been a top contender. But with three years of age later, and several o-line caused concussions to Jay, we are worn out.
  16. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Years of shitty drafting are finally coming to bite us in the ass. Emery can only address so much at a time. There's little room for error if they want to remain competitive and not fall off too far. It's a tough job ahead for him because he needs to hit on a lot of these draft picks. No more Shea McClellins. More Long, Bush, and Jeffrey.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    This ^^^^^
  18. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0