Arkush: Free agency success leaves Bears well positioned for draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I thought he made a pretty good point with all our DE's and DT's. But on the other hand Allen is not good against the run and Young isn't a proved player much like the rest of the DE's on our team besides Houston+Allen.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well as usual Hub's lack of an in depth knowledge of the plan leads him to his also usual false conclusions. The Bears signed Houston to play DE not DT. He was originally slotted for RDE but I think a few could see, and in those few I include Emery, that he was far better suited for LDE and although Young played a lot of LDE in Detroit he was actually more productive at RDE because of his size. But.......Young has yet to prove he's a top pass rusher who can close the deal and get you a dozen sacks a year to go with his pressures. Pressures are nice but it still leaves a QB upright to possibly complete a pass. He can't do that laying on the ground so sacks are game changers.

So Emery upgraded RDE with one of the best pass rushers in the NFL which leaves Young free to spell both Allen and Houston. He's the least expensive of the bunch and not over paid as a swing DE which he played in Detroit when Avril was still there. Izzy was signed because he can move into the DT spot and it a fairly effective pass rusher from there and not so much from LDE. I'm not saying Houston won't be used inside but my understanding coming from both Houston himself and Brad Biggs whose a lot closer to the team than Hub can ever hope to be is that there is no plan right now to make Houston a full time 3 tech DT. In fact Houston has already said that he wants to drop 15-20lbs so he can be a more effective edge rusher. If they were gonna play him at DT I would think they'd want him to stay around 300lbs like he is.

It's entirely possible that if the draft breaks differently than we all expect that Houston could end up there or Ratliff ended up playing 3 tech on most downs although he's really more of a NT in a 4-3. Collins can also play both and actually so can Paea but none of them have the same set of skills Melton had so logic says they'd like to replace that and I believe they will in the draft. What we don't know is where but it's likely to be in the first two rounds since after that the better 3 techs will be gone. Hub also forgets that the Bears rotate their linemen so we often keep 4 DEs and 4 DTs. The draft may dictate who stays and who goes but it's fairly certain to me that if Emery didn't feel that Izzy was an upgrade over Lane and Scott he wouldn't have asked him back. All I know is that we're going to camp with a lot of DL and Enery his gonna make damn sure he has enough frontline and quality backup talent to ride out another injury storm. We may even keep more than 8 since we aren't carrying an active position for Hester this year and we won't have Scott as an OT either.

There's really no way of telling for sure what the plan is now that Allen is on board too, and I at least agree with Hub that's it's opened up other possibilities which make it much harder for anyone to figure out what the Bears may do and of course Emery likes it that way. A good poker player never tips his hand unless he means to and if anything Emery is a very good poker player.

Nice post Zif. Thanks!
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't know that he's all that bad against it because he has a lot of tackles for a RDE but it's been said that he doesn't like to play the run as much as he does teeing off on the passer. We'll see what they do with him. Young would make a good swing DE since he plays both sides about equally well. With his size though I don't know that you want him playing the LDE spot on early downs as much as Houston.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I noticed that too, Soul. I don't know where people are getting this idea that Houston is going to magically become the teams 1st-string 3tech after being a DE his whole career. There's no credible evidence to support that and what little we have heard in fact contradicts it as you pointed out. The fact that he's known to be stout against the run and has flexed inside here and there does NOT make him our new 3T!

Geez, haven't we learned our lesson recently with trying to shoehorn players into new positions or ones they're not best suited for? Maybe we should move Peanut to S and Alshon to CB while we are at it....
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,285 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    Don't give Mel any bright ideas.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,779ß
    He makes a good point.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,285 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    Personally, I categorize a Tillman replacement at a future need. Possibly a critical future need. At this point, I have no reason to believe that Tillman won't get the job done next year. An argument can be made that he is old and he was oft injured lately, and those are real discussion points, but I just don't see his replacement as a glaring need at this point.

S, yes. and even LB. We have half a busload of them but only Briggs (who might now be questionable) and DJ Williams performed at all well last year. Running backs were getting in the backfield way too often. I would say that S and LB are more critical at this point in time than CB, but that's just my opinion. At this point in time, I don;t know how good or how bad our inside rush will be either. We have good additions, but mostly are on the edge. Will they affect the play in the center? They should as they draw the attention of the OL, but not sure how much pressure we will be able to generate in the middle. I'm not comfortable without a proven, penetrating DT in the middle. Allen is a stud, but he is an aging stud. Like Peppers a few years ago, he is only going to play a few more years. If we don;t have an inside pass ruch, we waste one of those years. For me, that is still the #1 priority, but I don't know if Emery sees it the same way.

I WOULD say that quality depth is a current critical need at CB though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That I won't deny it but did he forget the Mundy was signed to be a starting Safety and that any successor to Tillman will sit this year if both CBs remain healthy all year? I just read another mock that has us taking Dennard when of the three top CBs he's the worst fit of the bunch for us.

It's early and I probably need to just stop commenting on these wild ass ideas made up by people who aren't all that familiar with the team. Hub likes to think he is but he became a persona non grata around Halas Hall more than a decade ago. He has no more info or inside scoops than I have.

I just read an article for Brad Biggs that for some reason only God and the publisher of the Trib knows won't post so all I can do is summarize what Biggs said he does get info from the coaches and the front office. Houston was signed with the thought of playing him a RDE but they were concerned about the lack of sacks he might produce and as I did felt he might do better on the left side. Young was signed to compete with him for one of those two spots but they were still concerned that while they had two guys who played the run well neither was a top pass rusher.

Emery moved quickly once Allen left Seattle without a deal and made him a market level offer to be the starting RDE, something Seattle would not do on either score, and we got Allen who turned down a $1 mil more per year from Oakland in order to play for a contender. Now the Bears feels comfortable moving Houston to LDE and using Young as a swing DE to relieve on both sides. Allen has been playing as much as 90% plus of Minny's defensive snaps and although he's hard to get off the field the Bears would like to cut that back to around 70% with Young taking up the slack. He could also move to LDE to rush if Houston moves inside and spell him on 20% of the defensive snaps.

That's the current plan as it's been outlined to Biggs by the Bears themselves. There is currently no intent to play Houston at 3 tech DT as an every down thing. So what we have is a whole bunch of media types running around saying the totally changes the Bears plans when all it does is open up some option again and make them less predictable which is good because otherwise what would we have to debate right? :smilebig:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Of course not cuz that would be STOOOPID. Get a clue, Hub.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Houston has played all along the line, and we have 2 other DE's paid like starters in Young and Allen, so while you can agree or disagree w/the idea of Houston as a DT, there is reason to think it could well be the case b/c you've paid 2 other guys in Allen and Young to start at DE. For ANYONE to think they know what Emery is planning on how the team is built is foolhearty, it's all theoretical. The team also has Ratliff and Collins to play DT, Rattliff proved last year he's a capable starter, so even if Houston isn't the day 1 starting DT, he's definately in the rotation, so that gives you 3 guys in a rotation at DT and 5 at DE, the Depth at DL is pretty thick right now.
    If you can say that a replacement for Tillman is a back burner, then you could say the same about Ratliff. And Tillman is as likely to get hurt at Ratliff and the depth at CB is FAR less. Starting S, possibly 2 is a far larger concern then DT also. And We haven't even gotten into the lack of depth at LB, where we have 3 SAM guys in Bostic/Shea/Greene, 2 possible ILB's in DJ/Bostic(if DJ stays healthy and Bostic actually takes a GINORMOUS leap forward), and no one backing up the 1 armed man at WILL.

Per usual Soul's arrogance is also showing, for a guy that has missed so much in the past to talk shit about a guy that makes his living actually talking to people in the organization, and other beat guys that talk to people in the org is laughable. :lol-032: . I mean seriously tell me more about how Campbell was a great backup. :stfu:
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,779ß
    Regarding Hub and Biggs, I like reading what both of them write. Neither is right, or wrong all the time. But they often have good things to consider. Hub is not a Bears hater as some want to believe. He often writes about things we Bears fans don't want to hear because we are in denial. This particular article is pretty positive for Hub, and I agree with a lot of it. Not all, but a lot of it. Regarding Tillman, while we may not HAVE to think about his replacement now, it still is a valid point that this is something we need to address sooner rather than later if possible. I'm thinking that when the dust all settles and we begin summer training camp this year, we will see that Emery has upgraded the defense nicely. And you never know WHAT Phil will do in the draft. Expect the unexpected.
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Is it just me or does it make more sense that we are going to be looking at a hybrid type defense?
    Izzy is capable of playing both DT and DE, Ratliff can play NT and 3 tech, Shea is going to be playing LB and has played DE, the rumors that Huston will play DT.

It sounds like an offense will not know where our guys are going to line up or who might be coming after the QB.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Thats what I been saying for a while now
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    There's a difference between a player who can line up at multiple places on the line situationally and being a full time player at a particular spot as a primary.

Peppers shifted inside plenty of times in various alignments for us over the last few years. That didn't make him a DT.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Hybrid Defense takes advantage of a Peppers being able to switch inside though, or a 43DE to slide back to LEO. The players may not be a primary starter at a given position but the ability to transcend a scheme becomes a greater value. Many of the players on Seattle Def were not stand out players at a given position but they are valuable in Seattle and there version of Hyrid D.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Some, sure, and they've said that but also said they're staying with a 4-3 one gap front. I expect we'll continue to see guys swap position at times to create mismatches and we may even show some 3-4 looks to create some confusion on blitzes but it all depends on what you mean by hybrid. Any teams base defense, the one they're in most often, is either a 3-4 or a 4-3 and we'll still be playing a one gap 4-3 according to Emery.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

If that's the definition you're using of a Hybrid Defense then I'd agree. It's mostly variations on a theme to create confusion or mismatches but it's still a base 4-3 one gap front. If you play the DE in a two point stance then it becomes a variation on a 3-4 but the gap responsibilities may or may not change so is it a really a 3-4 or just another 4-3 variation? The base defense Emery says they'll run is still a one gap 4-3.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think it's worthwhile suggesting something here to all and that is taking a run through the two tutorials by Matt Bowen that are stickied at the top of the page. One discusses in depth a one gap 4-3 front and the other a two gap 3-4. You'll notice that the gap responsibilities change quite a bit as do the type of player you want in the key positions of each.

Just standing up one DE to play a LEO (as Seattle calls it) hybrid doesn't make it a 3-4 front unless you move another LB off the shoulder of the RDE and the MLB and SLB take on run responsibilities that are very different from those they have in a one gap front. So it's not only how the personnel changes but also how they line up and there gap responsibilities.

BSB's definition is right as far as some of these positional changes being part of a hybrid of a 4-3 but it's still not a 3-4 type hybrid.
  19. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The added flexibity should give the Bears a reason to move down on the draft.
    Lets hope the Browns or 49ers want to move up
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Lato, the problem is that no team sees the need to move up b/c they don't see the 'elite player' outside of the top 8, they kind of just lump everyone after that into the 'really good' catagory. So one of the top 8 needs to somehow fall to the Bears for them to be able to trade back.
    • Agree Agree x 1