Arkush: Free agency success leaves Bears well positioned for draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Mar 29, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,788ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Regarding Hub and Biggs, I like reading what both of them write. Neither is right, or wrong all the time. But they often have good things to consider. Hub is not a Bears hater as some want to believe. He often writes about things we Bears fans don't want to hear because we are in denial. This particular article is pretty positive for Hub, and I agree with a lot of it. Not all, but a lot of it. Regarding Tillman, while we may not HAVE to think about his replacement now, it still is a valid point that this is something we need to address sooner rather than later if possible. I'm thinking that when the dust all settles and we begin summer training camp this year, we will see that Emery has upgraded the defense nicely. And you never know WHAT Phil will do in the draft. Expect the unexpected.

2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    240ß
    Is it just me or does it make more sense that we are going to be looking at a hybrid type defense?
    Izzy is capable of playing both DT and DE, Ratliff can play NT and 3 tech, Shea is going to be playing LB and has played DE, the rumors that Huston will play DT.

It sounds like an offense will not know where our guys are going to line up or who might be coming after the QB.

3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,917ß
    Thats what I been saying for a while now

4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,288ß
    There's a difference between a player who can line up at multiple places on the line situationally and being a full time player at a particular spot as a primary.

Peppers shifted inside plenty of times in various alignments for us over the last few years. That didn't make him a DT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,917ß
    Hybrid Defense takes advantage of a Peppers being able to switch inside though, or a 43DE to slide back to LEO. The players may not be a primary starter at a given position but the ability to transcend a scheme becomes a greater value. Many of the players on Seattle Def were not stand out players at a given position but they are valuable in Seattle and there version of Hyrid D.

• Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,850ß
    Some, sure, and they've said that but also said they're staying with a 4-3 one gap front. I expect we'll continue to see guys swap position at times to create mismatches and we may even show some 3-4 looks to create some confusion on blitzes but it all depends on what you mean by hybrid. Any teams base defense, the one they're in most often, is either a 3-4 or a 4-3 and we'll still be playing a one gap 4-3 according to Emery.

7. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,850ß

If that's the definition you're using of a Hybrid Defense then I'd agree. It's mostly variations on a theme to create confusion or mismatches but it's still a base 4-3 one gap front. If you play the DE in a two point stance then it becomes a variation on a 3-4 but the gap responsibilities may or may not change so is it a really a 3-4 or just another 4-3 variation? The base defense Emery says they'll run is still a one gap 4-3.

8. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,850ß
    I think it's worthwhile suggesting something here to all and that is taking a run through the two tutorials by Matt Bowen that are stickied at the top of the page. One discusses in depth a one gap 4-3 front and the other a two gap 3-4. You'll notice that the gap responsibilities change quite a bit as do the type of player you want in the key positions of each.

Just standing up one DE to play a LEO (as Seattle calls it) hybrid doesn't make it a 3-4 front unless you move another LB off the shoulder of the RDE and the MLB and SLB take on run responsibilities that are very different from those they have in a one gap front. So it's not only how the personnel changes but also how they line up and there gap responsibilities.

BSB's definition is right as far as some of these positional changes being part of a hybrid of a 4-3 but it's still not a 3-4 type hybrid.

9. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    The added flexibity should give the Bears a reason to move down on the draft.
    Lets hope the Browns or 49ers want to move up

• Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    Lato, the problem is that no team sees the need to move up b/c they don't see the 'elite player' outside of the top 8, they kind of just lump everyone after that into the 'really good' catagory. So one of the top 8 needs to somehow fall to the Bears for them to be able to trade back.

• Agree Agree x 1