Article Suggests Bears Should Sign Suspended FA Will Hill.......

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Finding Ideal Homes for the 10 Best Still Unsigned NFL Free Agents

By Sterling Xie , Featured Columnist
    Jun 3, 2014
    3. Will Hill, S: Chicago Bears
    [​IMG]
    Safety Will Hill might simply lack the dedication required for the all-encompassing NFL lifestyle. The Giants released Hill despite a breakout 2013 season, as the league suspended the safety six games for his third violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. Based on his recent comments, Hill sounds as though he has continued to make excuses for his repeated mistakes.

Hopefully the light will come on at some point for Hill, who is a tremendously talented player. Pro Football Focus (subscription required) graded Hill as their second-best safety of 2013, thanks largely to superb coverage abilities that helped him hold opposing quarterbacks to a 62.0 quarterback rating. Though Hill did concede 19 receptions on 31 targets, those catches went for just 9.8 yards on average, an extremely impressive number for a free safety.

Hill's skill set would play well in Chicago, where the Bears' offseason defensive renovations could have them contending for the NFC North crown. However, Chicago signed only a pair of reserve-caliber safeties in M.D. Jennings and Ryan Mundy, and 2013 starter Chris Conte is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Fourth-rounder Brock Vereen could contribute, but the Bears do not have any bona fide starters they can lean on to command the secondary.

Hill is the type of player who could boost the Bears in the second half of the season. According to Pro-Football-Reference, Chicago conceded 59 pass plays of 20 or more yards, the seventh-worst mark in the league. Conversely, Hill's Giants gave up 41 such plays, the fifth-lowest mark.

At 24 years old, Hill is the rare athlete who has hit the market while still ascending as a player. His off-field issues may derail an otherwise promising career, but on a non-guaranteed contract, the Bears could very well unearth the player who helps end their three-year playoff drought.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    Yes. He passed through waivers already, so sign him so we can get help by week 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    This kid was suspended again this year for six games. I guess last years unpaid 4 game vacation didn't sink in. I think he was busted on a hot read for weed again so that should tell us something. I think his excuse was that he was just around people who were smoking but didn't toke himself. Or maybe he did but he didn't inhale. :bah: Nice try Will but if more than just a trace showed up you were hittin' the bong too.

Personally I don't care how good he might be or how much upside he has until he can stay clean for a year I can't see any reason to sign him now and have him chewing up a roster spot until seven games into the season. By then we'll have our answers at FS and if we're still in need we can consider it then.

In the meantime of someone wants him they can have him but obviously the Giants have washed their hands of him even though they lost Mundy to us in FA. That should tell us something about his true value. Anyone else have some thoughts on it?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    If he could be signed to a team friendly low risk deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I understand the points about him taking up a roster spot for 6 weeks on suspension and being a repeat offender.
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I'll take inactive Will Hill over MD Jennings/Steltz type player. He's a New Jersey native so it'd get him away from "those friends". Probably his final shot in the league and we need the help. I'd take a flyer on him.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If they're allowed to list him as inactive due to suspension then I guess maybe he won't take up a roster spot but doesn't that also mean he's banned from any team activities including OTAs and the entire preseason as well? I don't think he can even work out on the premises or meet with coaches.

So how do you get the guys the work he needs to take over his position later this year? If NY would have kept him at least he knew that defense and they may have gotten some use out of him this year but for anyone else his 2014 season is almost a total loss.

The thing that annoys me the most about these guys is that they're letting their team down through their own stupidity and selfishness so no matter how good he might be how do you depend on the guy at all. One more hit and he's out for a year or longer so unless he's willing to admit he has some issues, and I don't think he has, I wouldn't go near him until he been clean for awhile.

After that Sam Hurt thing a couple of years ago I don't think the Bears are gonna risk looking stupid again where there's a drug issue involved and all getting him out of NJ does is change his supply channel. This kid still thinks he can slide by on the side and it ain't working.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I'm not doubting he couldn't get some in Chicago of all places but sometimes it's hard to cut ties with guys you've known since before even college. He's been hanging with these guys since high school (or earlier) and hanging around them its easy to fall into bad habits. But you get out of that situation and into one where it's a new group of people around you and that can change your life for the better. It's like someone going to rehab, they get out.. hang with the old crowd.. and relapse. You have to actively change your life top to bottom including those you put yourself around. It'd be hard to turn your back on HS friends and maybe a change of scenery would do him good.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    Hard to cut ties with people who are bringing him down . Stupid . Maybe the best way to handle him is say keep ur nose clean , have a great career , make lots of money then u'll have plenty to blaze up with when u retire . He could help no doubt .
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Having watched him play since high school I can tell you this kid is an unbelievable talent. The only thing keeping him from being an all pro is him. His decision making off the field is less than good. Having said that I'd sign him. Any deal he gets is going to be of no risk to the team signing him. He solves a need right away...and in the grand scheme of things...it's weed...it's not like he's covering up a murder.
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Can we wait and see how our safety's are going first. If they are playing well then maybe we don't need a guy with questionable character.

Seattle did fine with lots of these knucklehead types and their adderall prescriptions etc but I'd rather take someone who doesn't have such poor judgement that they'll sacrifice their career for a high.

If our safeties are horrible and he's unsigned after the practice games then go for it.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Absolutely 100% true and yet he's still in denial telling the NFL and his own team he wasn't smoking he was just around others who did. I figure the results of his drug screen showed higher concentrations than that so the NFL isn't buying it and neither are the Giants. He's been in the league for three years and each year he's failed a drug screening he knows is coming. He's an idiot.

Every year in FA there are bad seeds whose team have given up on them and nine out of ten times they're right about the guy. I don't relish the thought of going back to the era when JA was so hard up for solutions that he was willing to take chances on losers like that. We don't need to do that anymore. It's not like this kid was a former top ten draft pick and we'd be getting some kind of steal.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    He may not have been a former top 10 pick, but his talent and play would be a steal for us. Trust me...you'd be surprised at the drug use of a lot of these guys...and it's a lot worse than just smoking some weed. They may have the brains to not get caught, but they're no better. If it's no risk, which it wouldn't be...I'm all for it and may the best man win at the position.
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I think that the bottom line here is weather Emery and Trestman think he is worth the time and energy it would take to help him get his act together.
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I don't care if they smoke pot, snort coke or whatever, I am not their guardian. The point is, the league has a policy against it and they take it seriously. Since the league takes it seriously, there will be consequences to the player, and thus, the team that they happen to play for. THAT'S what I care about.

Let's also be a little realistic here. There is a difference between enjoying an occasional spliff when you are relaxing with some of your buds or enjoying a romantic evening with your lady and someone that feels like they need to get high every damn day. Those that abuse drugs daily will eventually have a problem, and if you can't control it when your mega dollar job is on the line, then you may have a problem. It sounds like this cat is still in denial about his "problem" which is a whole "problem" of it's own.

I would dearly LOVE to have his talent on our defense, but not with the risk of losing his services for extended periods of time just because he can't put the bong down.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I would pass.

Much like Josh Gordon, the guy doesn't seem to care
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Let me tell you...a majority of these guys enjoy far more than the "occasional spliff". There are plenty of guys out there who have had "problems" and been no problem for their new teams...Marshawn Lynch, Ricky Williams, and on and on. Listen...the league is going to let players smoke this stuff anyway once they get done paying off the pain meds law suit.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Don't be so sure. Since it's still illegal in 48 states and 30 football team areas they will never let it slide. Any of it
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I think that's the biggest problem, the guy looked at this as a free ride, not a career that had to be worked at.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Why? The NHL doesn't have marijuana on it's banned substance list...last I checked they play in the states. It wasn't banned in the NBA until 99. Which is better...the heroin like pain pills they pass out, or smoking weed which is a proven anti-inflammatory?
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Just using logic. Does not make sense to give the appearance of condoning something illegal.

If the NFL wanted it to be off the banned list it would be. They know how much of an issue it is, and think they still need it. I just don't see it changing any time soon
    • Like Like x 1