Article Suggests Bears Should Sign Suspended FA Will Hill.......

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    I bet you it does. The NFL won't take it off for nothing, I think they want to use it as a bargaining chip to gain the ability to test for HGH. Either way, them not testing for it doesn't mean they condone it. Further, like I said...I think lot's of things are going to be considered once this pain pill law suit is through.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    HEck...even WADA has increased the amount needed for a positive test 10 fold! And they pretty much don't care if you're smoking during non-competition periods.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well said and to me that's what's at the heart of the matter. Another musician friend of mine would dearly love to smoke a doobie or two since it's now legal here for anyone over 21 but he knows they do random drug screens where he works and he's not about to risk his job over it.

I'm not subject to random drug screenings but I'm aware that some of my clients and other professionals I do work with would not be enthused about working with me if they believed I was a pot head so legal or not I choose to abstain and not risk those relationships.

Guys like Hill, Josh Gordon and a handful of others have that same choice to make but they always choose the wrong one. At what point do they come to their senses and realize what they're risking by not being a little smarter about when they choose to toke? If losing a million dollars or more in some cases isn't enough to discourage them then what is?

Their problem seems to be believing they can have it both ways and that's usually the way it goes with a guy whose too immature and self-centered to change. Hill has failed a drug test in each of his three NFL seasons. That's a pretty well established pattern so should we sign him and see if he can make it four in a row and probably be suspended indefinitely. I fail to see how that would improve our situation at FS.

Maybe we'd be far better off to focus on Brock Vereen who seems to be turning some heads in the OTAs with his instincts and his quickness. Why stunt his development by bringing in a guy to compete who has a known issue with weed especially when that guy can't even join the team until the end of October or early November. I can't see how it would be worth taking a chance on Hill now.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Correct. Most Colorado employers have taken the position that they will still not permit their employees to use weed regardless of it's legality. This has already been challenged in court and the courts have decided in favor of the employer and stated that it is within their rights to set standards for their employees that require them to remain drug free even outside of the workplace.

Someone, someday may challenge this decision again and win but for now it is what is it and the NFL is within their rights as well since they can't effectively have a different set of rules for Broncos and Seahawks players than they do for 30 other teams. I feel bad for players who are sometimes caught up in using a prohibited substance that may have been an ingredient in something otherwise legal but this is an entirely different story. These players know the rules and they know the penalties for violating them and yet they still do. We really don't need those guys on the Bears.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    We are off into the weeds here a bit on the original topic of this thread but it's June and there's nothing else to talk about so what the hell.

The law is evolving on this issue and will continue to do so. Employer policies will too, though they will lag the law awhile until public perception catches up. I guess it comes do this: how much sway does your employer have to regulate your off-work activities regarding substance use if A) the substance is legal for you to use at your own risk and B) you don't use or be under the influence at work?

Alcohol and tobacco are legal and I sure as he'll don't want anyone to be "tested" for what they do on their own time as long as they don't do it at work or show up less than fully sober. MJ is moving that way. Eventually I predict it will be fully legalized (it's stupid and wasteful to criminalize it) and the NFL will be forced to back down on suspending players for hitting some weed off-hours and especially off-season.
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    They can regulate it as much as they want. They can issue drug tests as often as they choose to enforce the policy.

Well, as long as it is illegal in 96% of the country, I fully support the NFL banning it as well
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    I agree...and I also think it's stupid for players to piss away careers for something so trivial. But the more you learn about weed and it's medicinal benefits...truthfully...if the league were forward thinking, and wanted to avoid further law suits...this would be something it would look into getting off it's banned substances list. Never mind the hypocrisy of them providing opiates that are much more harmful in the long run. At the end of the day, eventually this is going to be legal in this country...and thats coming sooner rather than later. Like I said...the NHL doesn't have it on their banned substance list and the NBA didn't for a long time as well. And the players who have come out and said they smoked during their careers to help aid pain is pretty long and illustrious...Lomas Brown, Ricky Williams, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Dre Kirkpatrick, Robert Smith, Dwayne Bowe, Keenan Allen, Tyraun Mattheu, and on and on and on.

Further, there is science out there that cannaboids can help reduce the effects of brain injuries:
    "Cannabinoid receptor agonists inhibit glutamatergic synaptic transmission and reduce the production of tumour necrosis factor- and reactive oxygen intermediates, which are factors in causing neuronal damage. The formation of the endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol is strongly enhanced after brain injury, and there is evidence that these compounds reduce the secondary damage incurred. Some plant and synthetic cannabinoids, which do not bind to the cannabinoid receptors, have also been shown to be neuroprotective, possibly through their direct effect on the excitatory glutamate system and/or as antioxidants."
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Technically it's legal in 40% of this country for medicinal purposes.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    A) Of course. Until public acceptance and political pressure force a change in attitude in the next CBA negotiation years from now.

B) It won't be illegal in 96% of the country for much longer. There are medical marijuana laws in a number of states now (incl here in AZ) and that's a clear stepping stone to full legalization. Gay marriage was illegal everywhere too not very long ago. Things are changing and the NFL will eventually have to change too. Criminalization of private recreational MJ use is as stupid and wasteful as alcohol prohibition was. Legalize it and tax the hell out of it IMO.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    No doubt laws will evolve and probably the first step will be to ask for consideration for those who have a medical reason for it but that won't be won without a huge fight either since there are all kinds of legal prescription pain management alternatives. My bet is those factions will lose the first round of battles even at that level.

The NFLPA probably has more strength as a labor union than most any other organized labor union and I don't see them pushing the ball up court on that battle right now either. Personally I agree that what a person does on his own time should be his own business as long as it doesn't affect his employer in any adverse manner but the truth of it is that it often does if it's not under control.

When it's not under control there are plenty of instances when and where you can be terminated for the use of a legal drug such as alcohol or medically prescribed prescription drugs even when it does take place on your own time. That line is usually drawn where simple use becomes abuse and in the matter of an employee whose failed three straight drug screens for an illegal substance that would probably fall under the heading of abuse.

I also expect even more states to legalize the personal and non-medicinal use of pot this year and every year thereafter until the few remaining states are pretty much forced to surrender as well and then it will also be legalized at the federal level as well. Even then I still think employers will look for ways to retain some rights as far as it's use and it's impact on an employees performance if only because the THC can remain in the system long after it's been ingested.

It's a very slippery slope as far as determining legally when a person is under the influence of it or not. They're trying to come up with some standards out here right now to apply to DWI or DUI as it applies to pot and that won't be easy either but they'll arbitrarily set some because they have to. If those are successful maybe that will end being a standard for testing in the workplace as well or maybe employers will attempt to set tougher standards.

It'll be interesting to watch the progression of it as it rolls forward but this may take ten years to happen and in the meantime as employers go the NFL will probably employ some of the toughest standards out there. I think we can count on that.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    It must be really difficult to stay away from weed, coke,pop'in homies and stuff to stay in the NFL for a few million a year. I feel sorry for the guy the NFL dragging a brother down like that it's not fair with all these rules now he can get back to all his homies and stuff.
  12. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Aside from the interesting "weed debate" that's going on, I wouldn't mind to take a flyer on him for a incentive laden deal with protections for any league trouble. We have shown that in the right circumstances, this FO can turn a player around. He is fantastically talented and young. Perhaps he needs to be taken away from all of those familiar faces and put into a strong locker room full of good influences.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The real question with Hill is will anyone bother to sign him now if he can't participate now. I have to investigate that more. I'm not sure if the suspension bans him from all activity or just from playing in regular season games.

If he can practice and play in the preseason then maybe some team takes a chance on him and maybe it's us but if he can't even be around the team or practice until his suspension is up he's not gonna be of much help this year.

Plus if he does play well enough to win a roster spot then does the team have to go with 52 active players and hold a spot for him or does the team get an exemption for him and they can roll with 53 until his suspension is up?

Those are issues I'm not sure of so I'd need to check it out.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Truthfully the NFLPA is pretty weak. NFL Players don't get half the benefits they should once they're done playing the game, and they are the only sport with non-guaranteed contracts. Every time they strike they're really not willing to give up game checks and owners know that. There are plenty of stronger unions out there.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Yeah...all good points. He cleared waivers...as for his availability I'm not sure. There are lot's of ways you could hide him and not lose a roster spot though...you see it all the time with rookies going onto IR or the PUP with "injuries".
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Actually, I'd say the MLBPA was the strongest. It took forever for them to cave on normal steroid testing.

The other leagues are usually bent over the barrel when negotiations take place.
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I no longer really want him after reading this article, seems a lot worse than smoking some green. If Emery did sign him I would think he's done his usual in depth research and truly believes the guy is turning it around. But as of right now, no way in hell. Sounds like he's going down a dangerous road.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...d-will-hill-signs-with-arena-leagues-rattlers
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Just from knowing his back story...he's been going down a dangerous road, and this is going back to high school. It's truly unfortunate because he has the skills to be a great football player.
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I hope he figures it out, that's a shame. I'd love for him to play for us if his head is on straight, regardless I hope he gets it straight.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Stop right there! That's all I needed to know. This guy is a bad seed who either has some psychological issues or a real maturity problem. His first step should have been figuring out how to clean up his life and instead he's just looking for an easier way to maintain his lifestyle as is. I wouldn't even accept a call from his agent right now. He'd be a very poor fit for the Bears.

Four f'n pit bulls and a maggot infestation? WTF! His whole life is about ignoring the rules like they don't apply to him. If he ever sees the inside of an NFL locker room again I'll be surprised.
    • Like Like x 1