At this 1/4 mark of the season, who are the 3 players who surprised you the most so far?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Good or bad, who surprised you the most so far, after the first 4 games of the season? Here's mine:

1. Jordan Mills - It just blows me away how good this guy is. 5th round rookie, looks like a stud tackle.
    2. Martellus Bennett - he didn't look so hot in training camp and Pre Season. Looks like a stud in real games.
    3. Kyle Long - I sure had my doubts when they spent our 1st round pick on this guy. Now I'm mighty glad they did.

Honorable Mention: Roberto Garza. I thought the guy was 100% finished in the NFL. I was wrong. He looks really solid out there this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    I would say our 3 new offensive linemen
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +533 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    That O line is great all around. I hope they can do the same thing with the D line but that will have to come next year sorry to say. Holy shit we now have a legit bonafide TE see Lovie this what a TE looks like. I still think we are better than craptroit that was aberration.

oops, it's the 3 you picked easy.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +533 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    there's 4 new ones
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Tonight I re-watched the Detroit game. The OL really looked pretty decent, with a few bad plays thrown in. You know what was really cool? Garza. He ended up, on some plays, matched up with Suh, 1-on-1, and looked solid as a rock. He doesn't look anything like he did last year. Like a different guy entirely.

Cutler has time to throw. Not a boatload of time, but he has ENOUGH time. As he gets more trusting with this new OL, I think (hope) we won't see him become so rattled. The OL is gonna protect him just fine, and he needs to learn to trust in them. He just needs to get the ball out on time.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Anderson, I thought it was a good signing to replace Roach, I never thought he'd be as good as he's been.

Forte, I thought he'd have a good year, but w/so many other weapons I figured he'd find himself well short of nearly 35% of the O yards and 33% of the TD's.

(gonna cheat) Long/Mills as a combo, I really was shit scared of having 2 rookies on the right side of the line, and they've done really well as a whole.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    McC as a complete bust to date
    Podlesh-even working with the ST coach before can't help him
    Brandon Hardin-with an eggshell skeleton could not even make the team
  8. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Anderson
    Mills
    Cutler

Expected Long to be good after preseason
    Anderson is good, Mills comes out of nowhere and Cutler was praised for 3 games with only, really only, 1 time being bad jay
  9. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Anderson, Mills, and DJ Williams. Wasn't sure how he would recover from his last two years of drama. Also guys, I believe Slauson is only 26, and could hopefully end our other problem at LG for the foreseeable future. It's hard to believe, but I think we have all of the pieces necessary for the O, except maybe an eventual Garza replacement. Draft should focus VERY heavily on the D.
  10. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Anderson - I think he has played better than Roach.
    Mills - I was pretty surprised and quite upset by the fact we went for a 5th round Oline men but holy shit has that turned out to be a great find!
    Cutler - Good Cutler can probably lead us to a superbowl or atleast an NFC championship game but he has to be good Jay all day and season long. I expected him to do better than the previous season but not exactly this good. If it havn't been for the meltdown against Lions I could play with thought that this is a completely new QB.
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Long, Mills, Webb.
    So, Long and Mills have been discussed already... I did not expect Webb to not make the first team much less be cut. Not to say I thought he was a superstar, but Mills was certainly an outlier verses his draft rank.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Mills is an easy pick. With both Webb and Carimi gone, I thought for sure we were in for a very bad season.
    To even see a glimps of old Hester thus far felt great, I sure hope he has a few more good games and maybe he can pad his record with a couple more returns.
    Peppers, I sure wish it was not such a dramatic drop off. I still hold out hope that he will start to hit his stride and surprise me.
  13. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I remember the good old days of the offseason when some posters were floating the idea of moving Garza back to RG. How horrible does that idea sound now?

For me, it would have to be Jordan Mills. It is just so unlikely that we would draft a 5th round rookie at RT, have him start week one against some really good defensive lines, and have him look better than Webb, Chris Williams, and Carimi at the position in the years they were with the team. I figured we'd play Webb for his last year, then they would move Mills in at RT after he'd developed enough to take the role. Nope, he was ready now.

James Anderson is my second pick. Minimum salary guy that has been around the ball since he's got here.

Matt Slauson is my third pick. I was very encouraged that we picked up a solid young pass protecting guard, but from all accounts from different radio hosts like Hub and some internet research he was a punching bag in the run game. He's looked great.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +671 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I agree with all these guys; these were the "pleasant" surprises. However, we have a couple of "unpleasant" surprises on Defense, and one of them is my guy and adopted Bear, Lance Briggs. I don't know if he is having difficulty adjusting to being the play caller of the Defense or what, but he needs to step up and start making plays/tackles that he used to make. JMO

I'm also a little disappointed with DJ Williams. He seems like he is often out of position or getting swallowed up by O-Linemen. I'm starting to wonder if we may start seeing Bostic a little more after the Bye week.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    well, i did expect good play from Slauson, Williams, Anderson... the guy that suprised me the most is of course Mills. 4 of our strongest D guys were a dissapointment, of course some of them had an injury excuse, no doubt about it, but Pep, Melton, Jennings and Briggs - I expected more of them really, hope they pick up. Tillman was ok, could be better
  16. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1. Mills and Long. That's some good stuff right there.

2. McClellin. I was hoping to see a big step this year. Same picture as last year. I do not consider him a total bust (even last week he had some good snaps), but obviously not the contribution you'd expect outta the first round.

3. Forte. Just feels like he is in a better place in Trestman's system.

p.s. Forte would go under some of the previous examples for me (Cutler, Garza, Peppers, Briggs), but I wanted to offer up another nominee.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I overlooked Webb, but yeah. That surprise is right up there with his replacement.

Ric nominated Forte also, on post #6... Umm, I'll wake up tomorrow I guess.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I re-watched the game last night and realized the problems on defense are not all on the DL, especially our run-stopping woes. The LB's were out of position. Late in diagnosing plays and responding to make tackles. I attribute that to being new to this team (Williams who missed a lot of training camp, and new guy Anderson is good, but still getting it together I guess). I can see the speed and talent is there with this LB corps, but they are a work in progress right now. They will get better (I hope).
  19. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +535 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    128ß
    I deleted the game cuz' I couldn't stomach watching it again. In your rewatching the LBs, can you tell if they were out of position because of their own reactions to the developing play, or is it Briggs' pre-snap play calls that are off kilter?
  20. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +671 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Unlike JABF, I did not/could not re-watch, but I'm not really sure that your question can be answered by just watching the game. It's a good question, I just don't think we can know without knowing what the calls were and what they meant.
    • Like Like x 1