B/R Says; "Cutler Won't Live Up To Marshall's MVP Hype......

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Jay Cutler Won't Live Up to MVP Hype Created by Brandon Marshall

By Tyler Duma , Featured Columnist
    Jul 30, 2014

[​IMG]

Tony Dejak/Associated Press

According to Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler will be the NFL's MVP for the 2014 NFL season.

Marc Sessler of NFL.com reported Wednesday the outspoken wide receiver made these thoughts quite clear when speaking to Michael Irvin and the Inside Training Camp Live crew. In speaking with Irvin and the rest of the series' staff, Marshall heaped praise upon Cutler:

"He's the first one in the building, last one to leave now, his leadership is through the roof," said Marshall. "He's correcting the coaches. This is his offense. This is his organization, he's running it, and I love it."
    Unsurprisingly, Twitter users far and wide disagreed with Marshall in his assessment of Cutler's potential in 2014.

"Random" drug test time. RT @adamjahns: #Bears WR Brandon Marshall said Jay Cutler could "absolutely" be league MVP if he stays healthy.
    — Kevin Hoffman (@KevHoffman) July 30, 2014
    Brandon Marshall believes Jay Cutler will win MVP in 2014 and I'm gonna lead the NFL in rushing
    — Joe Chapp (@JoeChappM1) July 30, 2014
    I love Brandon Marshall but he needs to CHILL with the whole Jay Cutler can win MVP this year stuff.
    — Treven Hunter (@Mr_Thunter) July 30, 2014

OK, so fans tend to overreact toward these types of comments, especially when they're given a forum like Twitter to voice their opinions. However, in this case, they're right.

Jay Cutler won't live up to the MVP hype Marshall has created for him, and for a number of key reasons.

Injury Concerns
    The 31-year-old quarterback hasn't played a full season since 2009. Since then, Cutler has managed appearances in 15, 10, 15 and 11 games in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, respectively.
    [​IMG]

Michael Thomas/Getty Images
    Fans of Cutler and the Bears have become all too familiar with this look.

Last year, Cutler posted respectable numbers in then rookie-head coach Marc Trestman's new offense, racking up 2,621 yards through the air, to go along with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. More impressive, however, was the fact that Cutler did all that while missing a whopping 31 percent of the regular season.

But therein lies the problem: Cutler missed 31 percent of last season.

Cutler is healthy for this season, but that hasn't stopped him from missing time in his previous four seasons.
    As long as Cutler is a starting quarterback, he'll be in danger of being sacked. As long as Cutler is in danger of being sacked, he'll be an injury risk.

If he can stay healthy, Cutler is likely to post a strong season, but not one of the same caliber as the group of players who he'll have to contend with for MVP honors.

Strong Competition from Other Sources

A good chunk of the reason Cutler won't win this year's MVP award is no fault of his own.
    In order to win the award, Cutler will have to contend with perennial MVP favorites like Drew Brees, as well as some past winners, including Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Consider Cutler's numbers, along with those of the players mentioned above since Rodgers became a full-time starter back in 2008.

Passing Stats 2008-2013
    PlayerGYdsTDINTCmp%Rate
    Jay Cutler8319,4391269360.783.8
    Peyton Manning8023,3381856667.7101.7
    Drew Brees9529,8922299567.7101.1
    Aaron Rodgers8723,8681875166.0105.6
    Tom Brady8122,7791624864.099.2
    Pro-Football-Reference.com

The group of players analyzed in the chart above have combined to win six of the last seven NFL MVP awards, with the lone exception being Adrian Peterson in 2012.

Basic statistics used to analyze quarterbacks and their level of play put Cutler clearly below the top tier of NFL quarterbacks. The eight-year veteran owns the worst marks in all but one category, that being interceptions, where he holds a two interception lead over Drew Brees—Brees also played in 12 more games than Cutler over the years in question.

Cutler has a strong receiving corps, headlined by Pro Bowlers Alshon Jeffery and Marshall. In addition to one of the best wideout duos in the league, the Bears' offense boasts one of the league's better tight ends in Martellus Bennett.

That group is joined by one of the best running backs in the game, Matt Forte.

The Bears have surrounded Cutler with a number of outstanding playmakers, but he'll still have to outwork the game's best quarterbacks, who also find themselves in outstanding offensive situations surrounded by playmakers.

Inconsistencies

Perhaps the most important reason Cutler won't live up to Marshall's hype is the inconsistencies he displays on the playing field.

In his time with the Bears, Cutler has averaged 1.70 turnovers per game. In comparison to that group above, Cutler is the worst.

Turnovers Per Game 2009-2013
    PlayerTO/G
    Jay Cutler1.70
    Peyton Manning1.13
    Drew Brees1.39
    Aaron Rodgers0.94
    Tom Brady0.91
    Pro-Football-Reference.com

Cutler is inconsistent in his decision-making and forces passes. Part of that was likely the result of the deluge of pass-rushers he had breathing down his neck for all those seasons—he ranks as the second most sacked quarterback of that group over that time frame, trailing only Aaron Rodgers.
    Can Jay Cutler live up to Brandon Marshall's hype for him in 2014?
    • Yes

70.7%
    • No

29.3%
    Total votes: 2,368

Cutler's inconsistencies could improve this season with a second year of work in Trestman's offense. With an additional offseason to further his understanding of the system, and also to work with the rest of the offense in general—most importantly with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte—this is within reason.
    However, he could also see those interception and sack totals rise again as the result of increased pass opportunities in an offense that ranked sixth in the NFC in pass attempts last season—including the five games Cutler missed.

If Cutler's propensity to turn the ball over returns in 2014, it will prove damning for his MVP chances.

All stats courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com unless otherwise noted.
  2. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    its great when you can make a living writing stupid opinions based on nothing more than a passive, supporting your teammate comment.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think this is interesting if only because of the way the question is phrased. I don't think there's any question that he can and if the author were to get his head out of his p..ass..t he'd see it.

Even ignoring all that it's really pretty simple. If Jay Cutler takes this team from an 8-8 finish in 2013 to an NFC Championship and a Super Bowl appearance then I'd say he'd be a very good prospect to win the MVP even if he didn't win the Super Bowl. Of course actually winning it would be a lock.

So it CAN be done but short of at least getting to the Super Bowl I'd have to agree. No matter how well he performs the NFL's QB darlings will out vote him.

So what's the consensus hear DaBears fans. Are you with the majority or the minority and remember it's not WILL he, it's CAN he. That's two different things. Vote and expound.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

That's how they do it over at Bleacher Reports. After all they have a rep to uphold even if it's not a very good one. They probably picked a guy who follows the Packers to write this one.
  5. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Uhhh Bleacher Report is the worst. Where do they get these writers?? Dollar Tree rejects?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I believe Cutty can win the MVP this year, if the Bears can stay relatively healthy on both sides of the ball best believe they're going to the superbowl and win it.

But I agree with you soul, the QB darlings still wouldn't give it to him if he played lights out......which is sad indeed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,784 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,457ß
    Well, like all of us, I'd like to see him play at the level required to beat out one of these QBs. The simple truth is he never has. Can he? Yes, I think so, but every time I think he can he doesn't. So trying to be perfectly objective about this, while this is his best year to be able to do so, since he has never done it, I am taking a "show me" attitude on this.

And I don't think he necessarily needs to play at that level for us to win out. You have to be a very good QB, and he is. I think this year he will be the best he has been, but honestly not sure he will get to the elite level. I do think he can, but every time I think so, I read about another forced throw he is making into coverage he has no business making. We'll see. Not sure this is a requirement. More of a "would be nice." It sure would vindicate him and his abilities. I'd like to see him win it, but I would not bet the house.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,461 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,479ß
    Obviously nobody knows who will be the MVP this coming year. But it's certainly not crazy to think Jay has a shot - especially with the talent he has supporting him on this offense & being in his 2nd year of the Trestman offense. It's looking like we will now have another big/fast WR to add to the stable (Marquess Wilson), and Forte could be even better in this second Trestman year too (it boggles the mind to think that).

If you watch Jay at camp, he's in a zone with these guys. A precision machine firing passes that are absolutely amazing into tiny windows. He's often putting that ball where defenders simply have no play on it.

I think the Cutler detractors are going to have some egg on their face after this season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    747ß
    OMG . As a lifelong member of the commode magazine readers club - I can attest to the total unreliability of ANY Pre-season proclamation from ANY source , and of any kind . BM is just trumpeting his own hopes and wishes upon a good and dear friend for the 'hopes of it ' .

Take it w a grain of salt . It's a hope ........ nothing more . Dipshits
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    What's most annoying about the article itself is that even after listing the weapons Cutler has in this offense like most of his detractors the author chooses to select the past as his reason for saying it won't happen. It's as if it's virtually 100% certain all of those negatives will be repeated including an injury that will cause him to miss a significant part of the season. That in itself is almost laughable.

Aaron Rodgers missed more games than Cutler did last year but apparently the same logic doesn't apply when it's being used to consider one of the "elite" QBs. Only the "non-elite". It amazes me how some of these guy will use most anything they can to put down Cutler. The guys has the talent and the weapons to produce an MVP season so it CAN be done. Whether it will be done or not has as much to do with Cutler's lack of popularity with the media as it will with his record.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    You are so right that I read it 3 times.

This 1 of the reasons Cutty treats the media like he does. He'll say it their faces they write false things just to sell papers and there response "oh, no your teammate said this we are reporting what he said." If you watch the clip it's more tongue in cheek by Bmarsh and as a team you want your players to say and believe things like this whether it's true or not. What if Bmarsh would have said Rogers would be the MVP could you imagine the field day these assholes would have. If I was in the position these players are I would have difficult time not calling them assholes to their faces I would be most hated player in sports because of the media. Look were Cutty perception falls next to the criminals of the NFL and look where Rogers ranks is all in how these shitheads want to portray you. Even now he's getting beat up for a comment he didn't even make but facts and reasoning are not important in today's media on all levels.
  12. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +509 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    470ß
    MVP voting takes place at the end of the regular season and doesn't take into account anything that was done in the post-season.

With that said, I think Cutler will have an incredibly hard time winning MVP if for no other reason than the quality of players around him. Even if Cutler has a tremendous season, a lot of the credit will go to his all-star cast of players (Brandon, Alshon, Matt, Martellus, etc) which will dilute his overall value to the team in the eyes of the sportswriters who vote on this award. I also think their is a negative view of Cutler in the media that he will have a hard time overcoming.

Ultimately, I don't give a shit about the MVP award. The value of a player is impossible to quantify especially for sportswriters who simply go out on a whim and give it to their sports man crush of the year.

As long as Cutler shows improvement from last year and takes the team to the playoffs with the help of his offensive unit I'll be happy. Cutler clearly has value on this team and I think Brandon's comments about his ownership of the offense and his improved leadership on the team are the most important words he uttered. His vocalization of his confidence in Cutler, even if it's a bit exaggerated, should work to further the solidarity this group of offensive players has toward one another and should help them kick some ass this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I thought the biggest slam on the media so far the year goes to Derek Jeter who told Joe Buck to get out of the AL dressing room before the All Star Game. There's Buck :asshatsign: walking around the locker room like he owns the place and Jeter tells him to move on. They've got a game to play. I thought Joe was gonna break out in tears.
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Another Bear with an attitude toward the media is Adrian Wilson. Refuses to do interviews (or at least he did the last few days).

I can't find the quotes but I thought he took some digs at the media when he was initially signed and was talking about his heel injury.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    They the dumbshits keep reporting he tore his Achilles which at his position would indicate a career ending injury. A Haglunds deformity correction surgery is NOT career ending. So when assholes keep telling you your career is over because of their miss reporting of his injury, I would tell them to fuckoff as well.
  16. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    They were posting it was a wasted FA signing as well. Wilson has a reputation for using this kind of stuff to motivate himself. I can hardly wait to see the hits he lay on the Eagles in the first PS game.
  17. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,331 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,871ß
    Can he? Sure.

Will he.... I have my doubts.

He needs to be able to stay healthy for all 16 games (which even B-Marsh stated IF he plays all 16 games). But it will be hard to unseat the best QBs in the league. Plus, he has the whole thing of not being a media darling working against him. Not sure the asshats who vote for the award would vote for him even if he was the best statistical QB in the league. Among players, media.... he is not well liked at all