BACK-UP RB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweetness1982, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Sweetness1982

Sweetness1982 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I am just wondering everyones views on Michael Ford being our back-up RB. I have not seen many mock drafts having us drafting a RB in the later rounds.

I would like to see an experienced vet brought to back up Forte - not that I dont think Ford is capable, but with Forte having some injury history, I do not see Ford being able to carry an entire work load if Forte misses any time.

The free agents I would like to see signed, in order are LeGarrett Blount, Andre Brown, or Knowshon Moreno. I could see some potential of Willis McGahee signing a 1 year deal here if he came at a CHEAP price tag.

Hoping everyone can share their thoughts on our RB situation heading into 2014-15.
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    Like Ford and find the RB position to be the easiest to fill in the NFL.

That said, I think it is likely that we will sign someone.....but the determinant factor will be price. Blount would be a very nice compliment, but likely too expensive.
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    124ß
    I would probably go with Ford, but we need to have 3 RB's on our roster so we will absoloutely sign one
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +900 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    887ß
    Or draft one in the late rounds.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    don't waste anymore cap on "vet rb's". Grab one in the 6th round or in UDFA
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Ford looks good as a back-up, but we do need a third that can be a ST help. Pretty sure that Ford was a UDFA, so we could go the same route for the #3
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    I like Ford. I'm not very high on Blount to be honest. I don't know. I'm biased with Andre because I know him...so I won't offer an opinion on him. Knowshon would be a good one...great pass blocker, can catch out of the backfield and a solid locker room guy. I'd be ok picking him up.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,251ß
    Yup. Every vet RB we bring in to back him up turns to shit
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +479 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Yeah I agree, I'd rather us roll the dice on a young guy with ford...either young cheap FA or mid-late draft
  10. kegstand

kegstand George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm just assuming Khalil Bell will end up in Chicago again, it's like tradition now.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    In addition to Ford they also have Willie Carter whose a bigger power back like Bush. Maybe more of FB/H-Back type but apparently also a good receiver and a fit for a WCO type team.

Willie Carter
    School: Tulsa
    Position: FB

Bio: Part-time starter at H-back the past two seasons. Senior receiving totals included 49 receptions/382 yards/3 TDs after 61/868/7 as a junior when he was awarded all-Conference honors.

Positive: Terrific pass-catching lead blocker/H-back who projects as a West Coast fullback. Possesses consistent hands, nicely adjusts to errant throws, and makes receptions away from his frame. Works to pick up yardage running after receptions, using an effective straight arm to keep plays alive. Occasionally lines up in the backfield and gets a lot of momentum going carrying the ball. Gets out front and blocks when necessary.

Negative: Lacks the speed and quickness necessary to turn the corner. Does not always play to his size/speed numbers.

Analysis: Carter looks the part and occasionally played to it for Tulsa but is a bit of an enigma. He possesses the underlying skills to be a ballcarrier, lead blocker, or receiver in a West Coast offense but must quickly elevate every aspect of his game.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nothing like tradition eh kegger? LOL
  13. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Once you go Pack, you can never go back.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, you can never get the smell of cheese off them. :haha:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    What about Dri Archer the jet from Kent State. He is not an every down back because of size, but has the speed to be a mismatch out of the backfield. Looks to be a late round draft pick.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +479 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I want to bring up an idea Ric mocked. In his most recent, Ric mocked Storm Johnson (UCF) to us in the 6th round. Until I saw this I forgot how much I was impressed by him in UCF's bowl game in particular, but all year in reality. Possibly going to UCF he can fly under the radar and give us great value at the position. He would be able to take over the short yardage situations, but catches the ball out of the backfield pretty well too. For me, HB gives you just too much value wherever you draft them to not draft a backup this year. Let a rookie and Ford fight it out, dont just give an unproven guy like Ford the keys outright. Whoever is our backup, they are just one hit away from being the full time starter and if we get one dimensional the offense will suffer.

Another option is Sims from WVU. He would likely cost us a 4th rounder but is probably the best pass catcher in this class. Runs similar to Forte, so we may be lacking a go to short yardage guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,532 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    528ß
    Last year Bush failed because they were using him as a "bruiser" back, when the o-line wasn't good enough to support that type of run game. They just need to find a cheap guy with speed to spell Forte every once in a while.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    If Sims could be a likely replacement for Forte in 1-2 years I would take that in the 4th, but anything less then an eventual replacement cannot be taken before th 6th, and cannot be had before the 4th.

What I've read about Johnson I really like, especially for a guy that will cost us next to nothing in a 6th rd pick.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    My guess is that somewhere along the line Emery will bring in more competition for that #2 RB slot. Michael Ford made some nice runs in the preseason and he's really somewhat like a smaller version of Bush but with a little more shake and bake to him. It's blocking that's probably most suspect but that can be fixed. And like I posted before they have Willie Carter on the roster whose more of a 230-235lb FB type but also a very good pass catcher so he'll get a chance to see what he can do carrying the ball. I may be wrong but with so many rookie backs out there and even a few vets who may settle for one year minimum deals to play backup somewhere I can't see using a pick on one as long as we have Forte.

Another ace in the hole might be Fiametta. The guy is a very good lead blocker and he looked pretty agile for a FB catching a couple of passes last year. Maybe he can fill a role like John Kuhn does for the Packers. He's about the same size and skill level. You don't want to pay a guy the kind of money we paid Michael Bush to make a handful of short yardage or goal line carries so using Fiametta in that role does make some sense. When Bush came in on short yardage everyone knew who was getting the ball. Forte has improved his short yardage and goal line game and by keeping Fiametta in their with Forte or the #2 RB there's more options for deception as far as running the FB on some straight ahead dive plays when the defense is looking for the ball to go to the #1 RB.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    Would have liked this guy, but while he would have gotten more carries with the Bears than the Vikings, I think he wanted to be the man

Toby Gerhart: I’m ready for my shot now
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 27, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    Toby Gerhart had a close view of a workhorse tailback in Minnesota the last four seasons as he played a reserve role behindAdrian Peterson for the Vikings, but never got to fill the role himself.

Now the running back has signed with the Jaguars and is in line for heavy use. Coach Gus Bradley said that he thinks 18 carries a game is “feasible” for Gerhart and Gerhart thinks he’s in perfect position to capitalize on that workload after such sparing use with the Vikings.

“I had the skill set to be a starter from the onset, but I was playing behind one ofthe best in the game,” Gerhart said, via the Florida Times-Union. “I’ve gotten comfortable with the speed of the game, but don’t have the wear and tear on my body of someone carrying it 250 times a year. I think I’m in a unique situation. Even though it’s my fifth year in the league, I can come in and be a dominant guy. I’m ready for my shot now.”

Gerhart had 353 touches with the Vikings and was productive enough as both a runner and receiver to make it easy to understand why the Jags would think he’s capable of doing even more in an expanded role. Barring a big addition in the draft, Gerhart should get every chance at proving himself right about being a dominant back. If he’s right, the Jaguars offense will have one less thing to worry about in 2014.