Bad drafting has led the Chicago Bears to only 5 playoffs in the last 22 years

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 11, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    FWIW

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    Yep, and I'm not 100% sold on Emery just yet. IMO he has a lot of Angelo traits in him; he seems to look at combine stats over football stats to much imo.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    I'd also add he kind of gives of that "smartest guy in the room" JA vibe. I just hope he just trusts in his expanded scouting dept. and get solid football players-save the reaches for the non-lean years.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,452 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    755ß
    Of course nobody is "100%" sold on emery yet, he hasn't been GM for that long, so his body of work is small. Still, he has shown the ability of not only drafting QUALITY players (AJ, Long, Mills), but also acquiring good pieces in FA to complete the team (Martellus, Bushrod, Slauson, etc). If he were only proficient in one area, then that would be troublesome, but the fact he has shown capable in both bodes well for the future of this franchise.

Granted, not all picks or acquisitions will work out, but i think its safe to say he has done a better job in the short time he has been here than Angelo ever did during his tenure here. Emery also went outside the box in acquiring Trestman to coach, and this has helped us to have the #2 offense in the league, the first time in decades. It took a historically bad season from our defense to derail our playoff chances this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    I like a lot of what I see with Emery so far. We'll just have to wait and see how he does over the next couple of years before we really know how good he truly is as GM. Same with Trestman. I think most of us understand that they both will make some mistakes. I want to see if they learn from their mistakes. I believe building a championship team is like a tripod supported by three legs - solid player talent, solid coaching & some good luck along the way. If one of those legs is weak, then you're screwed. Right now we really don't know how good Trestman & his coaches really are. They'll have to prove themselves. And while Emery has had a fairly good start here in Chicago, he still has to prove he can build a defense with solid talent. We need better luck when it comes to injuries too. We'll always have injuries, but I do see that some years are more devastating than others.

I hope we see Emery do well, and Trestman too, but only time will tell if they have the gears to take over the division & ultimately wins championships here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Yea... and in other breaking news. The sky is blue.