Be honest: Do you like watching the Bears get into fights with other teams?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,553 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    565ß

Those of us overseas had to watch this at around 3 a.m., and boy, did it EVER get us going for the game. I personally love football fights(with no one getting seriously injured), and this was my fav.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I hate seeing my team get into fights. Never want to see my team get into fights.

That being said..... If it does happen I will enjoy watching it
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    I worry when it's a Bears player, simply because I don't want to have guys ejected, and stupid personal fouls can hurt the team. I was at the game years ago where Peanut cost us a win against TB. The game was ours, but it ended up a loss due to one stupid personal foul penalty. It really sucked leaving that stadium that day........Bears fans were in shock. Man, I felt like somebody kicked me in the groin.

Stupid penalties can cost a win, and ultimately, in a worst case scenario - a season. Gotta be smarter than that.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Always protecting the QB...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I remember watching that Lions Bears fight. I almost lost a remote because of that.
  6. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You should stand up for yourself and your teammates, but you HAVE to keep it between the snap and the whistle. As the article on Tillman points out, drawing the foul (or at least unwarranted attention) was the main purpose as Clayton explained.

I can see fights often as being a purely emotional response, but keeping your heightened emotions in check and carrying a long memory about such things helps the team. Occasionally, I can support instant retaliation on a blatant attack, but ONLY when the consequences will not affect the outcome.

Teams should emphasize some doomsday clock type codes for it. Say Green, Yellow, and Red using field position, down, scoring situations, and clock management, etc. as criteria. You make code red mean something during practice: You get a PI call on third down... go ride the pine; fumble in the red zone or cause a turnover... get off the field; get an unnecessary roughness penalty when the game is on the line... go ahead and take your gear off. You get the point, as bad as those things are you should really exaggerate the consequences in practice and if you can during the games so that players are instilled with basic team concepts.

The flip side of course is that a unified team will make additional use of the time between the snap and whistle. You can't let assholes walk all over you, but you shouldn't necessarily have to be the one to directly hand deliver the message either. Frustration of loosing out on your match ups, entertaining or buying into any "talk" during the game is better off left for your teammates to pass judgment on anyways.

That's my take on it with my feet propped up and a half-full bag of popcorn within reach.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I like to see some piss and vinegar from the linemen, I enjoyed the hell out of watching Kyle Turley rip a guys helmet off and launch it down the field. I am not for doing it all the time, but standing up to a bully and letting them know you are there and will not be taking their sh!t is great. I would have liked to see an o lineman get in donkeykong's grill after any of the times he punked cutler. Or hampton or dent flattening martin after the cheap shot on mcmahon.
  8. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    While I don't like to see my teams' players get into fights, if someone brings one to them, I don't begrudge them if they don't back down. Regarding DJ Moore going after Stafford. I think Moore did the right thing. Stafford effectively attempted to break Moores' neck by grabbing the facemask and the back of the helmet then twisting his neck to start what he later described as a "hip toss". That kind of crap shouldn't tolerated in ANY sport. The way Stafford handled that situation caused me to lose all respect for him as a person. Had he said that he was frustrated and reacted poorly, I could have accepted that as a mistake made in the heat of the moment. Dodging all responsibility for his actions makes him nothing more than a thug that happens to play QB. The only thing a person like that understands is force. He needed to be taught that if he tries to end someones career, that the same can and will be done to him. The sooner he (Stafford) is out of football the better.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    As a player and a spectator I hate it. I hate it because it is stupid to be ejected over it and totally screws over your team. Football is a violent game. I teach my team that if you have a problem with a player, walk away and on the next play light them the f*** up. I don't have a problem if people want to get back at someone between the whistles. All thats going to be is a 15 yarder, it sucks to give up the yardage but at least the opposition will know they can't screw with you. But when you do it between the plays its going to get you kicked out and that just lets down your entire team.

I remember a few years back Tommy Harris throwing one punch into someones helmet early during the 1st quarter and he was ejected. Tell me how one punch into a helmet and getting ejected is better than smacking the bloke in the side of the head during the next play and at worst getting a 15 yarder (and thats if any of the refs even see it).

This isn't Hockey. It's not the place for fighting.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I don't like football fighting, because I don't see the entertainment in it. It's not a hockey fight where you can beat eachother up
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    It's all about being smarter than the other team's players. Punching an opponent may "feel good" for about 30 seconds, but if you get ejected, or suspended for a game or two - or worse, end up being a key factor to your team losing the game - well, that is just stupid.

It's all about winning. Not about 1 player's personal satisfaction for a few seconds in time. You want to kick a guy in the groin, then do it by lighting up the scoreboard on offense, and by crushing them on defense. Kill their team THAT way. It can end up hurting them for an entire season and post-season, rather than punching a player who has so much protective equipment on that it doesn't do squat to really hurt them.

Beat them by winning, and making them losers.
  12. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like to see some aggression from the Bears, especially from the linemen.
    I don't mind the fighting personally, its the injuries, ejections, and suspensions that irk me.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    Today's game was a good example of how personal fouls can turn a win into a loss. Hope those stupid Bengals players enjoyed those tiny moments of tostesterone displays - that cost their team a win.

Stupid. Personal fouls are stupid. Period.
  14. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Same thing happened in the Tampa - jets game, stupid personal foul cost them the game with 7 seconds to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,553 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    565ß
    Okay, let me rephrase it (because BOTH of my teams won today because of idiotic personal fouls), I just mean to see a fight, just to see a fight, (minus the penalties and such). Although Alonzo Spellman fighting the Rams back in the 90s kinda disturbed me, because that came out of ******* nowhere.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I believe that once a player loses his temper, he's lost his game-focus. If a player wants to REALLY get back at a guy, do something that wins a game. That's more effective than taking a swing at a guy who's wearing a helmet and NFL protective gear. If you REALLY want to hurt the guy, keep your focus and WIN THE GAME.

Better than a kick to the groin. Infinitely more hurtful and effective. Get back to the huddle, get your head screwed on straight, and win the game.