Bears 3rd-round pick could prove a steal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 10, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,945 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    956ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-bowen-spt-0511-20140511,0,1697803.column

Bears 3rd-round pick could prove a steal
    If Will Sutton can keep weight down he can be explosive player with quickness off ball that allows him to be disruptive

Tribune reporters Dan Wiederer and Rich Campbell discuss Bears' new DTs Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton
    Matt Bowen Scouting the Bears
    1:53 a.m. CDT, May 10, 2014

During the third round of the NFL draft, the Bears went back to the defensive front once again to pick up Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton.
    As a junior, Sutton was a very productive inside defender (13 sacks) at 285 pounds because of the speed he displayed off the ball. This allowed him to penetrate the line of scrimmage versus the run game and work vertically up the field to attack the pocket.
    However, Sutton added weight as a senior (320 pounds) and his production dropped (four sacks). That affected his first step off the ball and his conditioning level took a hit on the film I watched.

Back at the Senior Bowl, Sutton flashed at times, but I thought overall he had an up-and-down week when compared to burst off the ball and the production Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald showed on the practice field.
    If Sutton can play around 285-290 pounds, he does project as an ideal fit at the 3-technique tackle in the Bears defense.
    That's where he can showcase his speed, athleticism and provide the interior rush that is so crucial to the success of this scheme in both the base and nickel sub packages.
    This type of production would give Emery and the Bears tremendous value in the third round of the draft to land a pass rushing talent at defensive tackle.
    And I would have no problem calling Sutton a "steal" on Day 2 of the draft if he can display the talent from his junior season that allowed the defensive tackle to collapse the pocket and live in the backfield.
    Special contributor Matt Bowen spent seven seasons in the NFL as a strong safety. He covers the NFL for Bleacher Report.
    Twitter @MattBowen41

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I'm pretty excited about this pick. The defense is getting some excellent young players who should develop to be an outstanding for years to come. I still believe it will be 2015 before the D is completely finished, but piece by piece, Emery is putting the players in place that will be a solid D for us again. I sure feel a lot better about our future, watching this take place. Solid young talent is being infused into the D.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,945 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    956ß
    The only thing I disagree w/is I think Sutton can play at 290-300 w/out losing anything, and imo I think that's where the Bears might want him; IF they believe in the bigger=better mantra. This is where I think Donald would have failed, I don't think he can play w/the extra weight.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    The Bears will get him into better shape physically. It sounds like his college coach had him just "pack on weight" rather than build him to be a better/bigger athlete. He was getting gassed in games. The Bears are smarter than to just feed the kid more pork shops and gravy and think he's a better DL player. With the Bears, he will get bigger/stronger the right way, and have much better stamina too. It may take a year to do this, but it's coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,945 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    956ß
    Ya the Bears learned that from the Webb diet plan. They'll now add strength, not just weight.
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I'm very excited to see what our drafts look like when we're not handicapped by needs. Emery is building a team that boasts immense talent in the starting line-up and very reliable depth throughout. Once we've got that set we're going to be grabbing playmakers every draft at every position. I can see us ending up like the Patriots where we're trading our players for loads of picks and trading back to collect more ammunition on draft day to move up and down as we wish. It's nice to have an organization ran the right way for a change.

I remember going nuts watching Angelo blow pick after pick and sit on his hands like an idiot during FA not getting the depth we should have been. I'm sitting here watching Emery just nodding like, "Yup, that makes a lot of sense." "Oh.. good pick there." No one is going to do everything exactly as you would, but to actually see a GM go forward with a sensible plan and attack the draft with conviction is a joy. We're constantly looking for upgrades at every position no matter what time of the year. If there's a trade worth doing, it's done. If there's a guy cut who would help, he's signed. It's a thing of beauty to watch him in free agency as well as in the draft. Nothing is off limits as far as acquiring talent for this team. I don't think he'd ever be satisfied and that's a necessary trait in the league today. No prisoners. We're here to win a Super Bowl.
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I agree with this. We are talking 5-10 pounds. For an athlete with his build, he should be able to add the right weight and maintain his speed and increase strength. Maybe increase speed too.