Bears are in on Michael Bennett

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Marshall#15, Mar 8, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    yep, then we can go after Johnson since Wootton is gone. Now that would be a FA splash. LOL. I would be shell shocked and never been in a war zone so.......
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    yeah, i know, but we have other needs and no pep then. but market sets price, so it is what it is
  3. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    IF they get 1 do they really need to shed themselves of Wootten? I mean all things considered he did good last year, asides from his recovery I think if they can swing it why not? Wootten, Bennett, and Johnson switching it up could be nice....but then DT help I guess comes from draft? Paea and Cohen is our only DTs atm?
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Can't keep Pep anyway without a major pay cut. And he has zero motivation to accept that right now as the only real DE on the roster. If Emery is truly making a major push at FA DEs, then Pep is as good as gone IMO. 2014-Peppers doesn't appear to be in the teams plans from the way it looks right now.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    140ß
    What makes you feel Wootton isn't coming back?
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    We aren't signing Bennett and Johnson. No way to pay for that. It's one or the other or neither. Wootton will be a wait-and-see thing. He's not going to command much $ coming off a 3 sack season and still recovering from surgery. No other team is chomping at the bit to sign him. I hope they eventually keep him but he's a 2nd-3rd stage FA decision.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    I dont know if he will or will not be back but he is not signed. I could see another team overpaying for him as he is young. I like Wootton and would like to see him back but suspect he is pushing for bigger money than we will pay. Guess we will have to see what the market is for him and decide from there. If we get Bennett I could see Seattle making a run at him. He is versatile DT or DE and I feel somebody will give him 6 to 7 million and we will not match it.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Interesting ^^^

The numbers are gonna be the main decision-maker for him as they should be but maybe if he's got two very similar offers, it tips the scales a little bit our way.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
  11. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    hahaha great stuff
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    r
    I'd agree. Bennett should be their first target and hopefully he not just using them to leverage his negotiations with Seattle. With Martellus already here I would think he's seriously considering it. Second in line behind Bennett has to be Michael Johnson. If they let Melton walk they'll have the space to sign one of these guys.

Melton is drawing some interest and if somebody is serious enough to offer him a four year deal with some guarantees I'd say he gone. I could see the Bears doing one or maybe two years for somewhere around what Ratliff got or a little more but not any more than that. The risk that he may have lost that burst and quickness is too great to tie up a lot of money in him this year or on guarantees that could hurt afterward. It's a shame he was injured because before that I was 100% in favor of keeping him.

Fortunately there are two DTs in the first round that are very good fits for the Bears 4-3 line. I'd rank Donald ahead of Jernigan due to the fact that he a pure 3 tech DT who has both that quickness to penetrate, decent strength at the point of attack and the flat out foot speed to pursue. For a guy whose just 6'1" and 285lbs he's kind of a physical freak who was extremely productive in college. Behind him is Jernigan who more of a 4-3 NT who could rotate with Paea. He's also quick and strong but doesn't have the pass rushing ability Donald has. If Melton goes and they sign Collins either of these two would work and cost far less over 4 years than Melton is probably looking for.

If they sign Bennett they have no need for Hageman and if the sign Johnson he can replace Pep at RDE and then it becomes imperative to re-sign Wootton to play LDE and DT like Bennett would have. So to me the two guys are the key to their search right now. They absolutely need one or the other if they hope to come out of this with a line that can work for them. It also makes a decision about Pep far easier to make.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    That's exactly how I see it, Soul, and I hope that is the precise plan Emery is enacting. Melton is a "no thanks" for me if its anything beyond a short term, team friendly deal. Too much risk (Tommie Harris 2.0?) and his replacement should be there for the taking in round 1 for way less money.

Said this before and it's not rocket science to figure out--we need a DE and a S in free agency above all else.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It wouldn't surprise me if Hatcher or Starks end up with a "C" on the helmet if they let Melton walk. They will be cheaper than Melton & would make our 1st rd pick a complete mistery assuming they get either Bennett or Johnson & sign a vet safety. It's all speculation at this point. Tuesday can't get here soon enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Earl Mitchell...will be cheaper than Melton with lots of upside.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Even if its a bit hokey, it's fun to see MartyB be so enthusiastic about being a Bear and trying to get his brother to agree.
    Sure beats the whining and carping we've seen lately from the likes of Briggs and Urlacher.
  18. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Butkus, please excuse my ignorance but who is Earl Mitchell?
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    140ß
    NT for the Texans, 26 years old. 3rd round darftee in 2010.

97 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 ff.

Not really impressive numbers if you ask me.
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    A DT who played for the Texans entering FA this year.