Bears are planning to honor Brian Urlacher

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,181ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    ByAdam L. Jahns
    Inside the Bears,Sports
    - March 24, 2014 4:34 pm
    [​IMG]

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Bears want to honor longtime linebacker Brian Urlacher, who abruptly retired after leaving the team on bitter terms last offseason.

Bears chairman George McCaskey has reached out Urlacher, saying he called him a few days ago and sent him a text message. McCaskey said Monday from the NFL owners meetings that he is still waiting to hear back from Urlacher.

“I said, ‘I’d like to talk to you some time. I’ve got a couple of things I want to bounce off you,’ ” McCaskey told the Sun-Times. “We certainly want to recognize his great career at a time and place that’s suitable for him.

“When he retired, I told him, ‘We certainly want to bring you back.’ And he said, ‘Anytime that it’s not cold because when it’s cold I won’t be here.’ We can certainly do that.”

Urlacher said during Super Bowl week in New York that he was “indifferent” about being honored by the Bears. He was clearly still upset with how he exited the Bears.

It was during last year’s owners meetings that the Bears announced that a deal could not be reached with Urlacher. Not long after that he retired after 13 seasons with the Bears.

“We want a good relationship with all our alumni,” McCaskey said. “Of course, Brian is a sure-fire, dead-bang Hall of Famer. It’s got to be the right timing for him.”

2. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    If the Bears reached out first, it is time for Brian to show some class, and accept an invitation to be honored by the Bears and the Chicago fans. Only positive things would happen for both sides I'm sure Brian will feel better after the celebration. I'm sure most Bar fans would like to see this happen.

3. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    It would mean I can wear my 54 jersey again lol

4. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,181ß
    Don't think it means they are going to retire it

5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,905ß
    I personally lost a lot of respect for his whiney bucket and although I would love to see them patch it up I willl hold my reservation on how he acts in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    Good for the Bears. They can't change what has happened, but they can control how they treat Urlacher moving forward & can show some class by trying to mend some fences here. I hope Brian takes them up on this and while it may not make everything "right" again, it can help begin a healing process. It's a step in the right direction.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    No way in heck they retire his jersey now or ever. Ditka was planned to be the last and it'd take someone that is once in a life time to change that.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    Not now. But if he were to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, then maybe down the road they retire it. If a guy makes it into the HOF, then a case could be made to retire that guys jersey. The numbers thing (too many jersey numbers retired due to the Bears having so many great ones) can be worked out at some point. There are solutions for that.

9. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,181ß
    You do remember them say that Ditka's number would be the last they would ever retire right?

10. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    I was not implying the the number should be retired.... I simply was saying that as long as he bad mouths my beloved Bears no matter which side is right or wrong, no way in hell am I gonna wear his jersey.....he don't show the jersey respect, I won't show his respect!!!!!