Bears are planning to honor Brian Urlacher

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,065 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    ByAdam L. Jahns
    Inside the Bears,Sports
    - March 24, 2014 4:34 pm
    [​IMG]

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Bears want to honor longtime linebacker Brian Urlacher, who abruptly retired after leaving the team on bitter terms last offseason.

Bears chairman George McCaskey has reached out Urlacher, saying he called him a few days ago and sent him a text message. McCaskey said Monday from the NFL owners meetings that he is still waiting to hear back from Urlacher.

“I said, ‘I’d like to talk to you some time. I’ve got a couple of things I want to bounce off you,’ ” McCaskey told the Sun-Times. “We certainly want to recognize his great career at a time and place that’s suitable for him.

“When he retired, I told him, ‘We certainly want to bring you back.’ And he said, ‘Anytime that it’s not cold because when it’s cold I won’t be here.’ We can certainly do that.”

Urlacher said during Super Bowl week in New York that he was “indifferent” about being honored by the Bears. He was clearly still upset with how he exited the Bears.

It was during last year’s owners meetings that the Bears announced that a deal could not be reached with Urlacher. Not long after that he retired after 13 seasons with the Bears.

“We want a good relationship with all our alumni,” McCaskey said. “Of course, Brian is a sure-fire, dead-bang Hall of Famer. It’s got to be the right timing for him.”
  2. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    If the Bears reached out first, it is time for Brian to show some class, and accept an invitation to be honored by the Bears and the Chicago fans. Only positive things would happen for both sides I'm sure Brian will feel better after the celebration. I'm sure most Bar fans would like to see this happen.
  3. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    It would mean I can wear my 54 jersey again lol
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,065 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Don't think it means they are going to retire it
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    I personally lost a lot of respect for his whiney bucket and although I would love to see them patch it up I willl hold my reservation on how he acts in the future.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    Good for the Bears. They can't change what has happened, but they can control how they treat Urlacher moving forward & can show some class by trying to mend some fences here. I hope Brian takes them up on this and while it may not make everything "right" again, it can help begin a healing process. It's a step in the right direction.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No way in heck they retire his jersey now or ever. Ditka was planned to be the last and it'd take someone that is once in a life time to change that.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    Not now. But if he were to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, then maybe down the road they retire it. If a guy makes it into the HOF, then a case could be made to retire that guys jersey. The numbers thing (too many jersey numbers retired due to the Bears having so many great ones) can be worked out at some point. There are solutions for that.
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,065 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    You do remember them say that Ditka's number would be the last they would ever retire right?
  10. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    I was not implying the the number should be retired.... I simply was saying that as long as he bad mouths my beloved Bears no matter which side is right or wrong, no way in hell am I gonna wear his jersey.....he don't show the jersey respect, I won't show his respect!!!!!
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    I didn't believe that for a minute. More will be retired over time. It may not be Brian's but how do you quit retiring jerseys if you have a truly great player? They could have a player in the future who is greater than ALL of the players already retired. If you had a guy greater than Walter Payton or Butkus do you ignore that? Heck no. And they will retire that guys jersey, just like the others.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    At least they aren't waiting as long as they did with Ditka. There were a lot of cigars smoked, pork chops sold, and rounds of golf played between his less than amicable departure and the welcome home ceremony. This is one of the big differences between George as the head of ownership and Michael. :asshatsign: I'm sure George would have wanted it to end differently too and certainly Ginny as well.

I don't think Brian will turn them down and he needs to make certain he doesn't. Like I keep saying his issues aren't with the Bears as a team so much as they're with Phil Emery. It would probably be a very good idea to keep Phil in the background for this one. Way in the background. Let the owners and his teammates play the biggest roles in this and let the front office sit back and watch.
  13. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Maybe this is McCaskey's way of getting him to stop badmouthing the team.
  14. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,607 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    716ß
    Maybe it's a secret plot to get him in a specific place at a specific time.

15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    How? Because they're running out of them. :rofl2:

Whose numbers are retired?
    Posted Feb 13, 2006

Larry: In your article about Bronko Nagurski, you said that his was one of 13 numbers retired by the Bears. Who are the other 12?
    Brandon R.
    Orland Park, Illinois
    Brandon: In addition to Bronko Nagurski's No. 3, the 12 other players who've had their numbers retired by the Bears are George McAfee (5), George Halas (7), Willie Galimore (28), Walter Payton (34), Gale Sayers (40), Brian Piccolo (41), Sid Luckman (42), Dick Butkus (51), Bill Hewitt (56), Bill George (61), Bulldog Turner (66) and Red Grange (77). And one more Mike Ditka (89).

If they retire Urlacher's #54 then the list should also include; Dan Hampton (99), Richard Dent (95), Mike Singletary (50), Gary Fencik (45), Steve McMichael (76), Otis Wilson (55), Dave Duerson (22) in memorium ......................and Bobby Douglass (10). :bah: Well he did set a rushing record for QBs.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    But only if it's September or early October. No cold weather games he says. LOL
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,204 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    577ß
    Urlacher won't return the call. No celebration this year.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    I am really hoping Brian returns the call, it would be a great missed opportunity. Should he not return the call HE is MUD.
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,065 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    And Phil is the biggest reason why I think he ignores any invites to the Bears until he is gone.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,504ß
    Should have waited about 5-10 yrs to do this, let things cool WAY down.
    • Like Like x 1