Bears are planning to honor Brian Urlacher

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    +1

I believe you hit on a great point here. I really do believe George is night-and-day different from Michael. I think George and Ginny are wanting to do the right things.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +479 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Classy moves by the Bears. If Urlacher denies the invite then the Bears have done their part and there is no need to extend any more olive branches. If Brian can't get over the fact that his play drastically fell off as he aged and he was just going to be detremental to the team if they gave him what he wanted to be paid then frankly, :4_2_211[1]: him. He can accept the invite and be celebrated by Bears fans for his historic career. Either that or he can turn his nose up at the team and fans that MADE HIS LEGACY and go back to his second rate network and badmouth the Bears. If he chooses option B I hope that the Bears do not reinvite him in the future regardless of weather Emery is here or not. Facts are facts, Emery did what he needed to do to put the team in the best possible situation. Nobody else even offered Brian a contract so I think Phil offering him a farewell tour was actually quite "loyal."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't think he'd go that far. There's a huge difference between just making your point and being brat about it. Maybe it's not quite time yet. I'm sure his ego is bruised but then so was Ditka's and so was Butkus's but you may not remember how those deals ended. Butkus actually sued the Bears over his knee injuries. Time heals all wounds and so will it this one. When the time is right it'll get done.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Michael knew nothing about football but thought he did and on top of the he was a deceitful a$$hole. There was a good reason the old man didn't want him involved with the team. Ginny ignored that and eventually the team and Bears fans paid the price for over a decade. I'm just hoping that while he's off sailing his boat around the world that he gets hijacked by Somali pirates. George is the antithesis of Michael.
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    After watching George at work and seeing the effect of his decisions, I am getting the feeling that we have a situation similar to Rocky Wirtz and the Blackhawk organization. It takes a few years to root out all the garbage and get everything on the right track, but I am getting more and more optimistic about the Bears franchise.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,251ß
    Until he actually says Phil Emery's name and stops referring to him as "the GM" I do not think he will consider it.

Since I am not in his head, I could very well be wrong. But Urlacher is holding a grudge over how things ended with the Bears, an Emery is at the center of it.

Much like Ditka basically stayed away until Mike McCaskey was out of the picture, I can imagine Urlacher doing the same as long as Phil is here.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    865ß
    Urlacher needs to analyze the situation and realize nobody in the NFL offered him any more than Phil, he was just to proud to accept it. Phil apparently was ready to overpay him considering the lack of offers he received elsewhere. He should be thankful for the great career he had, Even though he cared less about the fans by his own admission, I get the feeling many, not all, but many of the fans are tired of his whining, now he has a chance to start improving relations. For many, myself included I hope he takes it, if he chooses not to I will return the favor and care less about his feelings as well.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,532 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    528ß
    That's the most polite way I've heard someone asked to STFU
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm hoping George and Rocky become best buddies if they aren't already. The Hawks have done a great job of keeping their stars while developing young talent and filling spots with some crafty vets who've played important roles. That's a study in how it should be done for sure.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    LOL, yeah that's no shit. He still has a bitter taste in his mouth for how Emery did his business. He'll get over it and I doubt he'll wait 'til Emery's gone. That could take years. I think George and Ginny will work on smoothing things over as far as the team goes but it'll be a cold day in hell before he ever forgives Emery for busting him before he was ready to go.

I know a lot of people will say that it was his decision but in reality that way it was handled from the start it was pretty apparent they wanted him to announce his retirement last winter before any of that crap even began. All the end game did was assure it. JMHO
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And I get the feeling that a lot of fans just don't get it. He doesn't really care if he improves his relations with them. Think about it.
  12. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Just wait until (IF) s into the he gets into the HoF. Best on both parties.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think he's probably a lock for the HOF. That's gotten to be a tradition with Bears MLBs and he's surely no worse than any other in the bunch. Just played a little different style game is all. I think it'll happen this fall scotty they just need to iron out the rough spots and send Phil off on a college scouting trip that weekend is all. :bah:
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    865ß
    I do not see why Phil needs to go anywhere, Urlacher needs to man up and admit he had gotten old in terms of football. It happens to everyone and Phil saw it and Brian apparently disagreed. Its a bussiness and Urlacher and Phil could maybe benefit greatly from a discussion, but I believe it would be wrong to run off your GM for a whiney bucket player and hope the Bears do not even consider that as an option. It would send a bigger message to the players which would be a bad message to send IMHO.
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    This is absolutely true. But my take on it may be a bit different than yours.

Regardless of the validity of a fan's opinion, or whether it is informed/knowledgeable/etc or not the game is put on for the consumption of the fan. The fans are the player's revenue source. They are the game's sole source of revenue.

So IMO, BU and everyone else should just get used to it. This doesn't go just for the players, it applies equally as well to the teams, the league, etc.

To take it back directly to BU, at this point in time he is very close to totally pissing off a large percentage of the Bear fan base. Possibly a significant majority. Once he crosses that line, he will have a hard time reversing his perceived reputation and legacy. So (again IMO) he had better figure out if he will ever need the fan base for anything in the future and act accordingly.