Bears beat Vikings 31-30: Post Game Analysis

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I think if not for the wet field Hester would have had 2 return td's today, but he's gonna break one soon enough.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    From the first INT on, this game reminded me of the Seattle game last year, where the Bears toyed with them the entire first half, didn't put them away, and then lost late. The crappy broadcast cut out on the Vikings' TD drive before halftime, so I can't vouch for that. Otherwise, the Bears should have been up at halftime by a score of about 31-7.

The Bears are lucky that the Vikings aren't a good team. They're 2-0, with no injuries, so that's good. But they have lots of crap to work on. We also have to find out if Earl Bennett is still alive. He was credited with one catch today, but I just assumed the announcer made a mistake and it was actually Martellus.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    A great win IMHO. You usually lose when you should be ahead by 14-17 pts @ halftime & only lead by 3. Lots of momentum swings throughout the game. Really big to hold them to a FG to keep the game within reach as Minny played it a bit conservative. Obviously we have to get better but wether you win by 1 or 30 it's still a divisional win. Hester was the Hester of old. Man is he exciting to watch!
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    You can see incredible upside with this team. It's far from a finished product. Trestman will be all over this team - improving, teaching & coaching up the youngsters. He's already done wonders with Cutler. Jay made some mistakes today, but he's doing better.......he will continue to improve too.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Here's what I think we learned:
    I was at B-W's and the game wasn't on w/audio and I couldn't get the radio gamecast on my phone, so if there is something I'm missing, please correct and understand I only had my eyes w/no ears to help w/the understanding.

Chicago O: Bears O needs to open up the run via the pass, the run was okay don't get me wrong, but it didn't have those "explosive plays" we are used to. This O will struggle when Cutty turns the ball over, and in todays NFL you will not win against good teams w/a .500 TD to TO ratio. The Bears beat a desperate but very average team today, and I think most on this board and on the radio under estimated how desperate the Vikes were to try and win. Cutty HAS to be safer w/the ball; how often do you ever here Cutler under threw Marshal? Well he did on that 2nd pick, there was no one in front of BM and he lofted it up for an easy play by the safety. Again the Spreading of the ball was good though, that's huge...there needs to be more bush, that goal line Int was all b/c they decided to get cute and not pound it in w/their bruising back. M Bennett is huge, but again there were not enough throws to the Earl.

:edit: let me add, I give no credit to Cutler for coming back from behind, since his TO's were directly responsible for that...and before you bitch, I said the same thing about Tebow in his first year..when Tebow "won" all those games. You do get credit for the win, but not for the comeback.

Chicago D: The D didn't win the turn over battle, but not for lack of trying. 3 TO's should be more then enough for this team to win, escpecially w/the kind of field posistion the ST's/Hester gave. I know people are going to say not enough sacks, but the team got 2 and had 7 PD's and a couple tackles for loss. Again for Melton and Peppers, this is their pre season. Lets give it a few more games before the crucifying begins. And before you complain about giving up 30 to that team, remember again that 7 came from ST's, 7 came from the O, and there were 3 more TO's by the O on top of that one....and 7 of the Bears scoring points came b/c of a great pick 6 by Jennings.

Chicago STs: Hester had a hell of a game, a few times he almost had it, and he set a team record for return yards today. Considering he stands 0 chance of hitting WR escalators on his contract, he's a bargin for the field position he gives the team, take out the Hester rule and he probably has another TD or so. Gould is what he is, and Podlesh was solid. To be honest I missed the opening 2 drives as I and my kids were in church and the game wasn't on down here so I cannot comment on that.

Chicago Coaches: Trestie didn't have his best game calling in the 2nd half. This isn't the CFL Bra, and running the same reverse is a great way of getting neg field advantage. 40-26 pass to run ratio isn't great either, not w/Cutler at least. Last week he had a little over 30, no more then 35 and he was fine, and there were mid 20's or more rushes. Today that didn't happen, Bush didn't get more then 2 carries? Why anything less then an inj and that is inexcusable.

Minny O: Ponder looked okay, and that is b/c the chicago D tried to stop Petersen...who still ended up w/100 yards. But that opened up the middle for Ponder to hit easy passes which he is more then capable of doing.
    over the hill Jennings and Rudolph are hardly world pro's that he's throwing too but it was more then enough for a very good Bears team to have to handle.

Minny D: I could well be wrong, but again it looked like they were more interested in stopping Forte 1st and Cutty and the pass 2nd. I think this will continue to be a trend until Cutty shows he can make a team pay for that w/out turning the ball over. 4 TO's in all, 3 on Cutty 1 on Forte, and that made this game way closer then it should have been.

Minny ST's: hey you give your team 7 points you did your job, btw, Hester is speical, you should probably kick that OoB's, or way from him.

Minny Coaches: These guys gave a clearly better team a run for it's money, if they weren't held down by Ponder and some very average weapons out side of Petersen and they would probably have something special. Could we be seeing another HoF rb in our Div saddled by a horrible everything else again in AP? Before it was ol boy in Det, and now ol boy in Minny.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Rapid Reaction: Bears 31, Vikings 30
    September, 15, 2013
    SEP 15
    4:16
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    What it means: The typically opportunistic Bears nearly learned what it was like to basically give away a game via turnovers. The Vikings scored 13 points off turnovers, including 6 in the second half. But Jay Cutler brought back Chicago by throwing a scoring strike to Martellus Bennett with 10 ticks remaining. If anything, the Bears proved resilient in building a 2-0 record on consecutive come-from-behind victories.

Stock watch: Despite the comeback, Jay Cutler’s stock takes a fall here. After a strong performance in Week 1, Cutler committed two costly turnovers -- including a fumble returned for a TD -- that led to 10 Vikings points.

Return-a-thon: Rookie Cordarrelle Patterson broke the opening kickoff 105 yards for a score, marking the first time since Sept. 30, 2007 (at Detroit) Chicago allowed a kickoff return TD; the second-longest against the Bears (Green Bay’s Al Carmichael scored on a 106-yard kickoff return on Oct. 7, 1956).

The Bears answered immediately with a 76-yard return by Devin Hester on the ensuing kickoff. Hester broke his previous franchise record of 245 yards on kickoff returns (249).

50th anniversary: The Bears honored members of the 1963 World Championship prior to Sunday’s game. That team, coached by George S. Halas, finished with a record of 11-1-2, and outscored opponents 301-154.

Offensive line still developing: Chicago’s Week 1 performance provided encouraging signs about the offensive line’s future, but the Vikings gave the Bears somewhat of a reality check. Coming off the edge, Jared Allen blasted left tackle Jermon Bushrod into Matt Forte, and sacked Cutler for an 8-yard loss, causing the quarterback to fumble. Brian Robison scooped up the loose ball and scored from 61 yards out to tie the score at 14.

Although sacked only once, Cutler was under duress, especially in the second quarter. There’s room to grow.

Start of new record? The Bears scored on eight INT returns last season to tie the 1998 Seattle Seahawks for second most in NFL history. Maybe Tim Jennings' pick-six of Christian Ponder in the second quarter marks the start of the quest for a new record. The 1961 San Diego Chargers hold the NFL record for INT returns for TDs in a single season (nine).

What’s next: The Bears return to Halas Hall on Monday for treatment and review of Sunday’s game before taking Tuesday off. The club begins preparations Wednesday for its first road game of the season at Pittsburgh.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    Over the course of the season, he's going to be a nice asset to have. He doesn't have to take it to the house like in years past. Just getting Jay in those short field positions is plenty good enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Well, at the same time, maybe not. The wet field held back the Vikes coverage as well. He was not the only one affected.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/09/15/cutler-bennett-lead-bears-over-vikings-31-30/a9i6zq8/

Cutler, Bennett lead Bears over Vikings 31-30

By AP Sports Writer ANDREW SELIGMAN (AP) - Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:35 p.m. CDT
    [​IMG]
    Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) pumps his fist after throwing a touchdown pass to tight end Martellus Bennett during the first half of an NFL football game against the Minnesota Vikings, Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jim Prisching) (Jim Prisching)
    CHICAGO (AP) — Jay Cutler threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Martellus Bennett with 10 seconds left to lead the Chicago Bears to a 31-30 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Minnesota's Blair Walsh had just kicked a 22-yard field goal with 3:15 remaining when Chicago took over at its 34. Cutler, who led the Bears back from an 11-point deficit in a season-opening win over Cincinnati, struck again.

A 23-yard pass to Bennett along the sideline put the ball on the 16. Cutler then spiked the ball before connecting with Bennett in the front corner of the end zone. Chicago remained unbeaten under new coach Marc Trestman despite committing four turnovers.

Cutler completed 28 of 39 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns. But he was also intercepted twice and got stripped by Jared Allen on a sack, leading to a 61-yard touchdown return for Brian Robison in the second quarter.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    Bennett looks like a major upgrade over K.Davis. Night-and-day difference. We finally have a TE who is a serious weapon receiving.

Can't wait for the Steeler game now. They will have a short week to prepare for us, due to the fact they play Monday night.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I was watching a lot of plays in slo-mo. I thought the rookies on the OL did not play as well as last week. I think this is due to the fact that our opponents have tape and can scheme against what we are doing to protect the rookies. Not being critical of their play ... but after all, they are rookies.

The only TO I would put against Cutler is the pass in the red zone in the 3 TE set. I thought he forced it and should have either eaten the ball or thrown it away. I didn't mind the fumble as much. Sometimes a wet ball can be a bit tricky to hold onto.

I thought DJ Williams had a pretty good game. He stuffed AP a few times. As did Anderson. Overall I thought the D played much better than last week.

All in all I agree with JABF. We have a work in progress. Now we go on the road. I hope we can at least split the next two games and be 3-1 or 4-0. I hope we can see a pretty consistent offense and defense by game 4 or 5.
  13. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Nothing like a cold Sam Adams Hazel Brown Ale. Ummm good. Takes like victory!
  14. Kidla

Kidla Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    In aperfect world we run the ball on that INT in the endzone and we may have dominated the rest of the Game but its not always a perfect world.It seemed our offense lost confidence or mojo whatever they lost something.Bottom line is we screwed up plenty on offence and defense but the D played well enough to give us a chance to win the Game at the end and JC has the weapons to do that.From the Oline blocking(oops 1 holding call)to Marshall going Sky for a 1st Down to MBennett with 2 BIG CATCHES to win the game.We gotta be happy its going to be a good week at work listening to Sports Radio.GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!
  15. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +751 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    629ß
    Jay finally has the weapons around him which makes a huge difference. I would have to say having an OL and wrs along with a legit TE makes a huge difference in this team. The play calling seems real good and we seem remain calm through out the game. I like what I see right now with this team.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,203ß
    Devin Hester! He gave the offense great field position time after time. That gave the team (and me!) a big emotional lift at just the right time.

I am fast becoming a fan of M. Bennett. Man, he is clutch receiver. He can outrun linebackers and out muscle CBs.

Trestman made a horrible play call and Cutler a horrible decision on that interception in the endzone. Of all the mistakes today, that's the one that drove me up the freakin' wall. From the 1-yd.line, run and pound it in behind Long and Mills. Also. that's M. Bush territory. He must be wondering why he's not being used.

Bottomline: 2-0!
  17. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    Better get used to it. Trestman will roll the dice and do the unexpected, the unconventional, and sometimes the unwise. The plus side to this, every DC the Bears will face this season now knows that the Bears have the cojones to throw from the 1 yard line. That make their lives just a tad more complicated.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    ^^^^

I thought the play calling at the start of the 3rd quarter was way too conservative. 3 straight runs into the line for little or no gain.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    681ß
    The d-line is getting a lot of criticism, but some of that has to be deflected towards the upkeep of the turf, and how much it is overused. A day before the Bears-Bengals game, there was a college game played on it, and although it was resodded, one day is not enough time to make a complete difference. Soldier field is annually voted as the worst place to play, and has come under criticism from our own players in the past. Add to that that it was raining today, and it's going to be significantly more difficult for any sort of pass rush to happen. I've mentioned in another thread that Gabe Carimi was able to hold JJ watt to zero sacks in similar conditions last year, and logic should dictate that, given the inferior talent of Gabe Carimi to both JJ Watt and the current offensive line, that that was due more to the conditions than to a "good game" by Carimi.

Although Heinz field isn't a great field either, don't be surprised in the slightest if the d-line is able to find Big Ben on multiple occasions, especially since their former first round pick, Maurkice Pouncey is out for the year, and it isn't a landfill of a field like our is.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    These guys are developing much better chemistry with these type of grind it out wins then if the games were handed to them. Knowing you can get threw a shit storm when things are not going your way to be able to persevere through it and still win the game says a lot. Even when the referee that tries to use his head for the other team and you still don't let it affect you by staying focused getting it done. Without the big talent the Bears possess they obviously lose this game. So the bottom line talent, drive and determination with no quit is all you have left to rely on in some games and that's just what these guys did.
    • Like Like x 4