Bears beat Vikings 31-30: Post Game Analysis

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm with you on this...should have won by at least two touchdowns..if you take away the opening kick off touchdown return and Cutlers fumble return,I think that would have made a better score..
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,044 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,270ß
    There are those who take a win as a win and don't look for things to improve because they won

Then there are those who take the win as a win but also see things that can be approved upon which could prevent the team from reaching the playoffs and/or Super Bowl.

Being the second is not a doomsayer
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    How about the cluster-f*ck of the 1st and goal call where we went with a 3 TE heavy package and then passed. That is the one that made my blood boil.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I've been a Bears fan for a bit over a half-century now. That doesn't mean I know anything, other than I'm an old guy. But, if I've learned 1 thing in all of those seasons, it is to "stop and smell the roses" when you're winning. Soak it all in. Believe the best in that year's team unless they prove otherwise.

I am going to enjoy this season. I love being in first place in the NFC-N over the Packers. I love being unbeaten at 2-0.

Those who want to wring their hands and worry over bad things that MIGHT happen to us this season......well......that's cool too. But I'm not going there. And I'm not going to give up on us winning against the Packers yet either. Let's watch the games before we roll over and give up future victories to the Pack this year.

Gotta play the games. Believe in the team.

Go Bears!
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    573ß
    Word around the NFL is that he isn't being considered for roster spots after several pictures popped up implying that he is gay. Not passing judgment, just repeating what I read.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,538 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    540ß
    I read that too, but also that the Giants were looking at him. I honestly think it's because he wanted $3million while being well past 30, and not the pro bowl talent he once was.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    950ß
    Okay, a realist looks at what IS happening, not what MIGHT happen, and it changes week-to-week. Based on current information, it takes a Pollyanna to PREDICT Bears will beat Packers in Green Bay. The doomsayer says its hopeless. The realist says it's unlikely unless the DL and safety improve considerably in the coming weeks. One thing we agree on is that we are both very happy to be 2-0. We were very close to being 0-2.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. phatdude

phatdude Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I agree with:
    and
    To be 2-0 with this many changes is impressive, even if there is "luck" as a factor.

I'm totally forgiving when it comes to offense, but I'm sticking by my guns that the D should be a little bit better than they are. I'm on the "anti-peppers" bandwagon right now. He was a superstar last year. Now he's just taking up space. I'm starting to think more and more #54 has some other effect on the D that we aren't seeing. That and a new DC could be causing this too. From what I've heard, the D has been pretty much unchanged, but if it is, then why are they just not performing the same as last year?

Again, I think 2-0 is something we should be happy about. Also give the offense a little break. Sure some INTs and fumbles, but would you trade that in to have last years o-line back? I think the D just needs to find it's magic again.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,538 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    540ß
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. If the d-line doesn't improve, we just need a defense that can allow us to survive a shootout.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    The key as we move forward with this season, will be to see overall improvement week-to-week. Lovie had his share of faults, but I did like the way he broke the season into mini-seasons of 4 games each. If we use that model for the Trestman team, I'd hope to see us settle down and be significantly better after our first 4-game span. If we could survive the initial 4 games with new players, coaches etc, and be 3-1 or even 4-0, AND be playing significantly better ball, then that's a huge first step.

Then at the midpoint of the season (after our 2nd 4-game span.......with 8 games under our belt) I believe we'll know exactly what we have this year, in this initial Trestman team. If we could have 5 or 6 wins at that point, we'd be on our way to a 10 or 11 game season. Many here predicted an 8-8 or even a 7-9 season this first year under Trestman, so we'd be doing well, IMHO, if we are at 5 or 6 wins halfway through our season.

Then after the 3rd span of 4-games (after 12 total games for the season), all of the newness of everything should be a thing of the past. Even the rookies should be beginning to peak for this first season. Timing, chemistry, familiarity with the new coaches and schemes, should be pretty solid at this point after 12 games. If the team is solid this first year, then I'd expect us to have 7 or 8 wins at this point and be either 7-5 or even 8-4.

The final mini-season push would be our last 4 games of the regular season. We play the Cowboys at home, then play away at the Browns and Eagles, then have a grand finale against the Packers at Soldier Field. We shouldn't have any trouble beating the 'Boys and Browns. I could see us winning 1 of the 2 other games to finish with 3 wins out of the 4 game final stretch. That would make us 10-6 or 11-5.

If we make it into the playoffs at this point, we should be playing our best ball. We would be 100% settled in with Trestman & company, and the newness will be gone. I'd think we'd be a formidable team at that point.

The only thing that can derail all of this is injuries to key players (like Cutler). That would change everything. But if we remain relatively healthy, it looks like a good year for us.
  11. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Except of course, if it had worked.

Didn't see the game as the Canadian cable channels were carrying the Bills (no accounting for taste), so I don't know what killed the play. Perhaps someone can fill me in on the details.

Trestman had a goal line pass package in Montreal that works fine if the run is sold. Overload the box, sell the run, roll the QB outside and isolate a single defender. If he chases the QB, a short pitch and catch to the receiver nets an easy TD. If he covers the receiver, the QB walks in.

But of course like any play, it must be executed properly for it to work.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    950ß
    Packers pass defense is pretty weak, so it will be a high-scoring game. Rodgers has about 1,000 passing yards in two games. That's why I said "unlikely" we are going to outgun him in Green Bay.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    It wasn't the fact that it was a pass out of a formation heavily stacked for run. It was the execution. The receiver wasn't very open and a defensive player tipped the ball. To my eye (and I am just a fan), the play looked like it wa going bad from the start.
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    950ß
    Dan Jiggets says any offensive lineman worth a damn should be able to punch it in from the 1 yd. line. Pound it with Bush a couple times. Make them prove they can stop us before risking a pass. The new Bears OL with Long & Co. has been very good on that, and Forte had some good runs already on that drive. Tear that page out of the first-and-goal-from-1 yd.line playbook! Second: Don't throw the ball into a crowd of people in the middle of end zone. Throw it away and play second down.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Exactly ^^^^.

It was a dumb play call and poor execution on top of it. Throwing the ball over the middle from the 1 (on 1st down no less) was unnecessarily risky. If you really really really want to pass (why I don't know when you have a power goal line back for just these situations), then throw a corner fade or a play action fake into the flat. Those aren't into traffic and are far less likely to be picked. They're also good "throw it safely away if nothing is there" plays. That was a stupid and avoidable play that kept Minnesota in the game going into halftime.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,538 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    540ß
    The best thing about that, is I just realized we'll be coming off our bye week, with an extra week to prepare for them.
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    950ß
    True, and the other good thing about getting a bye in the middle of the season is that players have time to rest and recover from minor injuries. Kudos to the schedule-makers for giving us a bye the week before GB.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    I think the idea is to throw the ball at the goalline to help keep the D honest when you do run it. A lot of teams throw it at the goal line w/great success. I would have preferred them run it too, but at the end of the day throwing isn't a horrible option, hell it worked w/Bennett earlier in the game, I don't hear anyone griping on that. This is just another example of Trestman going to the well 1x to many times(like the Alshon reverse); but on the JC show he said w/the D look they were giving even if it was a run he would have optioned to a pass.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I thought the same thing. And the Packers ended up with a week-4 bye week (after only 3 games of the season played). They'll have 13 games to play after their bye week.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,044 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,270ß
    IMO the perfect week for the bye week is week nine. Midway through the season. But I would not say no to one a few weeks later to get rested closer to the playoffs
    • Like Like x 1