Bears Begin Cuts Early...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    Chicago Bears Report
    Bears early cuts done as courtesy
    August, 25, 2013
    Aug 25
    12:03

PM CT
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- The Bears released veteran safety Tom Zbikowski on Sunday, according to ESPNChicago.com’s Jeff Dickerson, and the team also parted ways with veteran defensive end Kyle Moore, a source confirmed.

The moves came two days before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET NFL deadline for teams to trim their rosters to 75 players, and as often is the case around the league, done as a courtesy for players to give them the best possible chance to find work with another team as soon as possible.

Zbikowski came into the league in 2008 as a third-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens, where he played four seasons as a standout on special teams. Zbikowski played in the second half of Chicago’s exhibition win over the Oakland Raiders on Friday, and contributed three tackles. As of early Saturday, at least one general manager had expressed interest in acquiring Zbikowski. The Steelers expressed an interest in free agency, but Zbikowski chose the Bears.

As for Moore, a fourth-round pick of the Buccaneers in 2009, high numbers at defensive end might have contributed to the Bears making the decision to part ways. Moore posted a sack against the Raiders for an 11-yard loss, but he was fighting an uphill battle to win a spot at a position already stocked with players such as Julius Peppers, Corey Wootton, and Shea McClellin. Moore was competing with rookie sixth-round pick Cornelius Washington and veteran Cheta Ozougwu for one of the final spots at the position.

Moore signed for the veteran minimum in April ($715,000) with no signing bonus. The club had already invested $103,788 in a signing bonus for Washington. It’s important to remember that when a team invests money in a player, it will always give him more opportunity to make the roster than a player it didn’t spend to acquire.

In addition to the sack tallied Friday night against the Raiders, Moore had contributed three tackles in three preseason outings, meaning he’s compiled plenty of film for teams to study if they’re interested in acquiring the defensive end.

The Bears could wind up releasing even more players today and the next couple of days in advance of Tuesday’s deadline to cut down to 75. Teams aren’t required to release players early, but this is done every season as a courtesy for veterans so they can find new work as soon as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Bears also waive TE Miller, DT Russell, LB Trahan, P Way and LB Wilson.
  3. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    Nothing unexpected here. I was hoping Zbikowski might beat out Steltz but he was even worse in coverage and when he blew coverage on that TD pass last week against the Chargers that sealed his fate. A rookie might be forgiven for that but not a four year vet.

Moore had everything but an ability to tackle a guy. He didn't know how to bend over and wrap a guy up. He got pressure and then decided to tackle shoulder pads and helmets instead of legs and torsos. Even on that sack where he ran Pryor out of bounds it was almost horse collar tackle.

So thirteen more will hit the bricks between now and Tuesday. I'll bet I can name at least half of them. :p
  4. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. No surprises so far.
  5. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Benji. I had Miller and Russell already after last weeks game and Trahan after Friday nights game. There was no chance Way was gonna beat out Podlesh and frankly I don't even know who the hell that LB Wilson is so if I didn't notice him I'm sure the coaches haven't either. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    The waived players were: WR Devin Aromashodu, RB Curtis Brinkley, DT Eric Foster, T A.J. Lindeman, C P.J. Lonergan, S Derrick Martin, DE Kyle Moore, TE Gabe Miller, TE Leonard Pope, DT Brent Russell, LB Patrick Trahan, P Tress Way, LB Lawrence Wilson and S Tom Zbikowski.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/25/bears-cut-14-from-roster/
  7. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    OK so DA being released means Marquess Wilson will stick, Boggs is now the heir apparent at OC, Ford did enough to impress that he's now the #3 RB, Foster was here just long enough to dirty a jock strap and that's it, Lindeman I had on my cut list after last weeks game, Pope's release means they're gonna keep trying to figure out why Onobun can't catch a football, Miller out and Fiametta and Adams now fighting for the FB spot, Russell gone but Minter sticks, and all of those LBs and Safeties were nothing more than camp fodder. Well maybe Zbikowski will latch on somewhere else but he looked out of place playing in that defense.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Was hoping Gabe Miller would get more looks than Oh-No-Bum, but his suspension makes him disposable.
  9. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    The Bears waived 14 players on Sunday, whittling down their roster to 76.

The list of players cut:

WR Devin Aromashodu
    RB Curtis Brinkley
    DT Eric Foster
    T A.J. Lindeman
    C P.J. Lonergan
    S Derrick Martin
    DE Kyle Moore
    TE Gabe Miller
    TE Leonard Pope
    DT Brent Russell
    LB Patrick Trahan
    P Tress Way
    LB Lawrence Wilson
    S Tom Zbikowski

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/aromashodu-among-14-bears-cuts
  10. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    So who's gonna be the last cut?
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,524 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we can pick up a TE who can catch a football, once other teams cut players. Heck pick up a couple. We don't have a decent TE on the roster other than Bennett who can catch a football. The others are bums.

Including Onobum.
  12. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    That and they've got Fiametta and Adams for FBs and Manieri as a mini OT blocking TE so he's expendable. We need another all around TE not just a blocker and if they can solve Onobun's dropsies they may have one.
  13. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    The list of potentials is lengthy so look where we're overstocked as opposed to under stocked. Probably one of the WRs or a Safety.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,524 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad they cut Aromashodu. I was worried they'd keep him and cut one of the youngsters who show a lot of promise at TE. Hope Wilson makes it now, and I'm hoping that 6'5" WR, Terrence Tolliver, gets to make our practice squad. He did some good things in camp and even in PS games. He's fast for a big guy, and even had some good ST's play. Maybe he could be like Joe Anderson and make the most of a year on the PS, and come back strong next season. One can hope anyway :)
  15. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    webb.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Akuma2000

Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering that myself, I was sure Webb would be on the first list of cuts out the door.
  17. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
  18. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    Until Scott can even practice again Webb is safe and still safe after than if Scott continues to have knee problems or can't do any better than Webb. We don't have another LT on the team besides him even if he's sliding back into oblivion again he and Scott are the only game in town right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Soul I know that ,...

guess a guy can 't crack a joke around

Soo serious ,... So life and and death
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +845 / 0 / -0
    :oops: Sorry brother. It's Sunday and somehow the holy spirit must have over taken me there for a minute. Too much multi-tasking. I'll shut down the website with naked women now and pay more attention to what I'm posting.;) :pamela: