Bears could deliver severe blow to Vikings

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Oh god, I want that to happen so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    We have a bad habit of letting AP go crazy, but this is a new staff so lets see how they plan for AP. Some players you can just hope to slow down, if we can get a lead on them we will force it into Ponders hands. We need a good Offense early.

3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    If lovie/tice was still here, there would be no game planning other than putting 8 men in the box and rolling the dice and see what happens......feels good to have real head coach who actually gameplans for our next opponent and uses the teams strengths on both sides of the ball to create mismatches putting the team in the best possible position to win.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    A couple of things related to the offensive line:

Last year, the Vikings offensive line was 7th best in terms of penalties. As far as their run game goes, they were 15th and 13th, respectively on running on the outside of the left and right tackles, 8th and 5th behind the tackles, and 19th running it up the middle. This should dictate that, if Paea can ride that hot streak he had in the 2nd half of the last game into this one, we'll have a REALLY good shot of stuffing AP on "up the middle" runs. Hopefully Peppers and Wooten can control the outside, and force him to run up the middel. Chicago ranked 1st (according to Football outsiders) on stopping the run, and stuffed 24% of all runs. This, I believe, will be significantly more important to watch for than the pass rush.

The Vikings were ranked 16th in pass protection last year, having given up 32 sacks. However, Cincy was ranked 28th in pass protection with 46 sacks last year. Take that as you will. (keep in mind AP had the second most rushing attempts last year, and ponder was 21st in pass attempts)

Ponder only had 2 200+ passing games after Percy Harvin (who was considered an OPY candidate at the time of his injury, in week 9) was lost for the season. Cutler had only one game last year in which both his completion percentage and passing yards were better than the opening game this year (which also happened in week 1, but against a horrible Colts defense). Not enough sample size to go out on a limb and say this is proof Cutler's going to be significantly better, but it's another stat to keep in mind.

IDK, I'm kinda tired (homework and this site been keeping me busy), but this all makes me really think their weakness in the running game (up the middle) vs. our strength in stopping the run will make all the difference in the world. With Briggs and Peppers manning the weaker side of the Vikings running game, it might be on Anderson and Wooton to make a lasting impression. If Trestman's offensive strategy to get the right side of the line fully into the game by taking it slow in the first half, unless Forte or Marshall can break off some big plays (keep in mind the Vikes are starting 3 rookies on the defense), it would make sense to guess that the Vikings WILL be running the entire first half. The question is: will it wear out our defense in the second half? The Bengals didn't, and AP, outside of the last game last year(which I hit on in an earlier post), has had mostly pedestrian performances against our D. In his last 4 games against us, he's scored 6 TD's with 4 of them coming in the last game.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,734ß
    here's some stuff from Jared Allen on the Cutler and how they have fared in C-Town:
    from espn
    Allen: Cutler will 'mix it up' with opponents
    September, 12, 2013
    Sep 12
    7:00
    AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Whether it helps to gain an advantage, Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen doesn’t know. But it’s not difficult to coax Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler into a conversation on the field.
    So does that make Cutler more or less easy for defenders to rattle?
    Cutler “I don’t know if he’s more or less rattled,” Allen said. “I think he’s a competitor. I remember playing against him in Denver back when he used to run his mouth back at the D-linemen. That was always fun. He likes to mix it up. I wouldn’t say he’s one way or the other, easily rattled or not. But you can definitely get him engaged in a conversation.”
    The chatter between Allen and Cutler should resume Sunday when the Bears host the Vikings at Soldier Field. During the two matchups between the teams in 2012, Allen failed to sack Cutler. In 2011, on the way to setting a franchise record with 22 sacks, Allen posted 4.5 in matchups against the Bears.
    But only one of those sacks came against Cutler, who lit up the Vikings that day for two touchdown passes to finish with a passer rating of 115.9. Cutler missed the 2011 season finale between the teams due to a broken thumb, a game in which Allen racked up 3.5 sacks.
    “If [Cutler] can sit back there and set his feet, he’s deadly,” Allen said. “When he runs on his terms, when he gets outside the pocket and does things on his terms, he’s a very dangerous quarterback. The key to him [is] you’ve got to put pressure on him constantly. You’ve got to be around him. You’ve got to hit him. Just like any quarterback, the more you can get pressure on him, the more you can get him focusing him on the rush, or [a] missed assignment by an [offensive lineman], whatever it is, then his eyes aren’t downfield making plays that he’s capable of making.”

also on ESPN

Allen: Vikings' struggles in Chicago 'embarrassing'
    September, 11, 2013
    Sep 11
    2:21
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Vikings’ recent futility in Chicago is not lost on Minnesota Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen.
    To find the Vikings’ last win at Soldier Field you have to go all the way back to October 14, 2007 -- a 34-31 final that featured Adrian Peterson, then a rookie, rushing for 224 yards, the second highest total of his career.
    Since that signature Peterson performance, the Bears have won five straight at home against their NFC North rivals and six of the last seven in the overall series.
    “Goodness, we haven’t won since 2007, I think,” Allen said. “It’s got to change to be honest. It’s embarrassing. It’s annoying. We can take the same team and bring them back to the dome and be successful against them.
    “I think when you travel you have to have your mindset (being that) it’s going to be tougher than you think. Things always aren’t going to go your way…there is going to be some adversity and you have to play through that. You have to understand why you are there. We’re not going to Chicago to go down and grab a bite to eat at Gibson’s, you know what I mean, we’re there to work.”
    The last three meetings between the two teams in Chicago haven’t even been close, with the Bears outscoring the Vikings by a combined 94-33. The Bears are coming off a Week 1 home win over the Bengals while Minnesota enters Sunday 0-1 after dropping a close one to Detroit 34-24.
    “I think when you get in there and (get past) the crowd and the ambiance, the field is still the same and you have to play ball,” Allen said. “I don’t know why we’ve struggled there. We’ve had some good individual efforts; Adrian (Peterson) in 2007 darn near rushed for 300 (yards). We’ve had games where we were blown out in the first half, and then we start clawing our way back and shoot ourselves in the foot somewhere along the way.
    We have to play better - bottom line. We have to play better when we go to Chicago. It’s a huge game for us.”
    The Vikings would catch on break on Sunday if Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kevin Williams can return from a knee injury that sidelined him for Week 1. Minnesota head coach Leslie Frazier said on Wednesday that Williams might be available to see action against the Bears at Soldier Field.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,734ß
    Here's another one from Leslie Frazier
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ed-minnesota-vikings-20130911,0,6043995.story
    Bears offensive line impresses Vikings
    By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter

10:30 a.m. CDT, September 11, 2013
    Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has watched a lot of film on the Bears' offense since he started with the organization as a defensive coordinator in 2007. And when he analyzed the newest edition from the Bears' 24-21 win over the Bengals last Sunday, one element in particular stood out about coach Marc Trestman's team.
    "It seems like their offensive line is much improved," said Frazier, who became Vikings coach during the 2010 season. "They did a good job of protecting the quarterback. They played together very well. Jay (Cutler) played with a lot of confidence in the pocket. Nice throws, and they worked a lot from the pocket early in that ballgame. But probably the offensive line play is what stood out to me."
    The Bears will take the compliment. Their overhauled line featured four new starters Sunday, including rookie right guard Kyle Long and rookie right tackle Jordan Mills.
    Cutler was not sacked, a feat the offense accomplished in only two games last season. The Vikings had one sack in their first game against the Bears last year and two in the second.
    Frazier sees a limit to how much his experience coaching against the Bears defense can help him this Sunday. Trestman's new scheme includes new personnel, so Frazier must study a small sample size from the preseason and Week 1.
    "There’s so much more, I’m sure, in Week 7 or 8 that you’ll glean from their offense than what they showed in the first ballgame," Frazier said. "So you get an idea of their personnel and a little bit of what they’re thinking, but I don’t know if you can hang your hat on everything that you saw. I’m sure there are going to be some tweaks based on our defense versus Cincinnati’s, so that preseason snapshot, along with that one game, I don’t know if you can just say that’s their offense."
    rcampbell@tribune.com
    Twitter @Rich_Campbell

It's so nice to hear the other team say what we saw; and no it's not just coach speak.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,734ß
    bump to get the spam off the top page

8. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    I say one thing. I hope the Packers go 0-2. But seriously the way to win is stop AP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:

He had 108 yards in last years 28 - 10 ROMP of the Vikes at home

108 thats a slow day for AP