Bears Defense; Lack of Talent or Poor Coaching?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The coaching/talent threads are similar to what we used to read endlessly in the Lovie Smith era - but those were about the offense. It's basically the same arguments we read back then about Ron Turner, Mike Martz & Mike Tice. There was some validity in the arguments on BOTH sides back then. We did need better talent. But we also needed better coaches. Same here.

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Then who would play in Houston's spot?

Lemme guess bubble boy CornWash.

Conte is not as bad as people think. The DL was a bigger problem to fix than safety

• Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

On a serious note I wonder what Turner could have done w/talent equal to Cutler/Forte/Marshal/Jeffery/Bennett. I bash Rex and that O as much as anyone, but it had a fraction of the talent Kromer/Trestman have and there were a few games were the O did help out if not outright win games. I have to think the Bears would have a 2nd SB and possibly a 3rd w/that D having a merely capable O.

I also wonder if Tice could have worked w/Bushrod/Slauson/Garza/Long/Mills and looked better then the garbage he was handed and asked to work miracles on. Unlike Turner I think he would have still struggled but I don't think all the Pixie dust stuff would have existed either.

Martz is the only one I didn't outright like from the get go, dude's the Buddy Ryan of Offense, give him 5+ HoF'rs and his O is lights out, give him a few pro bowlers and his O is near the bottom. What kind of sociopath wants his QB taking hits like that?

Benj, Conte is every bit as bad as I think he is.

4. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I was thinking Willie Young. Let's see. Chris Conte or Antoine Bethea? You said we had no choice. I gave you a much better choice.

5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

With a better line, safety play will improve.

With a crap line, even the best safties will look like crap.

Between Houston and Bethea, I take Houston.

That was the free agent choice.

• Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

S play will improve, but it will go from bad to average(at best), not bad to great.

I liked the Houston/Young signings, and was pretty happy w/Allen. But the reality is there had to be something inbetween the best S's and the dumpster dive the Bears did to come up w/Mundy and MDJ/Conte.

7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

I don't care how good of a safety you are, if the DL gives a QB that much time, you will likely get burned by a WR.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I disagree. When Houston misses a tackle, the runner gets another 5 yards. When Conte misses a tackle it is 6 points. When Conte is too late getting there on deep passes, it is also 6 points. We saw it all last season, and we will see it again. We can't afford to have a screwball at that position.

As for Houston, unless he turns into a world-beater DE, I'd rather have Bethea. I don't think you'd see nearly as much difference in performance between Houston-Young as between Conte-Bethea.

9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Bottom line. The game is won and lost in the trenches. That is the line on both sides.

• Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

True, but I don't care how good your DL is, they aren't always going to get to the qb in 3 sec's and your S's/CB's have to be good enough to cover them. Problem is that our S's aren't good enough to cover even for 3 sec's.