Bears Defense; Lack of Talent or Poor Coaching?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Maybe so Warlock. As a matter of fact, oprobably so. However, then the only people that should ever make any observations about team play are the coaches. That is not the case in the real world. Right or wrong, fans have something to say since the first time a pro football game was played. Anything said by anyone other than the coaches would be irrelevent (and maybe it is). But this board is not populated by any coaches and yet it persists in providing viewpoints on both sides of the argument. I'll assume it's ok to continue.

:-)
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    I agree with this assessment of his limitations…

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1108644-br-nfl-1000-top-32-free-safeties/page/9

However, I am surprised that they rank him 25th in the NFL among starting free safeties. I doubt there are more than a couple teams in the league where he would be a starter if the Bears ever cut him, and right now, I'd be hard pressed to name them. I can't argue with your statement that the coaches think he's the best safety on the roster, but that just tells us how weak we are at his position, not how good Conte is.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    ST coverage isn't a defensive concept, let alone a fancy one, it's a ST concept. What you're describing is bare basic ST concepts... it's a little more complex than that at higher levels of play. For example, trying to avoid blocks is how you end up out of your lane... generally speaking, you always want to fight through and beat a block in football, taking the path of least resistance means that you're taking yourself out of the play by giving up positioning. Additionally, just like any other facet of the game, you have schemes and counter-schemes in STs. It would be great if your players are studs and can execute any scheme you ask them, regardless of what your opponent is doing... that isn't reality though.

As for players free-lancing, I doubt players were purposely disregarding their coach's instructions in order to make the squad... that is the fastest way to get shown the door TBPH. More likely, they were simply getting beat in their individual battles (i.e. getting blocked out of their lanes). Now, if that was indeed the case, it could be a coaching issue, a player issue or anything inbetween. What I mean is... maybe the coaches are asking too much from their players (i.e. putting them in a position that makes it more difficult to be successful) or maybe the players just aren't talented enough to handle their business (i.e. lack talent). Again, without knowing the details of the scheme/call/alignments/keys/responsibilities/etc... who knows where the blame lies?

If you weren't aware, the player's union has limitations on organized practice time, so it's not as simple as practice until you fix it. Additionally, practice can't fix woes, at least not without a much larger time frame.

Lombardi had a very talented team, that focused on executing a smaller number of plays. Don't be fooled though, talent had a lot to do with it. If I'm not talented enough to block a player, it doesn't matter if we have 1 play in the playbook or 500 plays in the playbook... I won't be able to block said player on any of them. The only difference is that I probably won't fuck up my knowing my assignment on the single playbook play... that's the benefit of a smaller playbook, less mental errors, because there's less shit to know.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    815ß
    And how poor the options were to replace him in the eyes of the only people who matter.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    815ß
    Go figure... people say he is good and you disagree.

I am not sure who you hate more. Him or cops.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    We all have viewpoints. Right or wrong is what makes this board fun, the negativity lately has been overwhelming. Bettter to voice concerns than have a linching mob.

In summary I do believe there is a lot of reason for concern and a lot of things we have not seen or do not understand. I saw several plays where it looked like the LB's opened the field to allow a pass to see how the Safeties responded. At first it is easy to say how bad the LB's looked but just as easily it was the intent of the staff to see how the Safeties repsonded in the process to ID the best Safety. Preseason is just one of the tests to determine the starters. Nothing more or less, I see weakness in the LB's but hopefully it was what the staff was looking for to determine for in a given series and they gained the information they were looking for. If the regular season looks like this then I agree, we have some rough roads to travel.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I never claimed that you're not entitled to an opinion, I'm just trying to help you formulate one on this topic from my own experiences.

PS: I used to watch football too, then I played it and eventually started coaching it... the differences are night and day between playing and coaching, let alone watching and coaching. I've learned a lot about the sport in the past 5 years as a coach... as a player, I only had to know my own shit... as a coach, I have to know every position and how each position works within the larger framework of the scheme. Just because you watch the sport doesn't mean that you know the hidden details of what you're seeing on the field (i.e. scheme/calls/alignments/keys/responsibilities/etc...). This is information that coaches guard very well, because if an opponent knew all the details (let alone a fan), they would get destroyed on the field. It would be very easy to take advantage of your opponent if you knew all the details of their offensive/defensive scheme, you would just have to counter them (via putting your players in position to be successful). For example, if I knew that the RDE had contain responsibilities on a particular play, I could call a play that exploits him.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Again, you're free to speak your mind, I never claimed otherwise. Just as I'm free to speak my mind. I coach the sport at the HS level and played at the JuCo level, I have some empirical knowledge and insight into the game that an average fan probably would not... this doesn't make my opinion trump their opinion, in-fact, if I believed such a thing I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to this thread. I'm a teacher and a coach, it's in my Nature to teach and coach others. I understand that I cannot force anyone to do anything that they choose not to do, but I can share my knowledge on topics and attempt to teach/coach people. I expect people to think for themselves, not simply take another's word as gossipel... I could very well be wrong and I'm more than willing to change my views when new information is presented. Opinions should be fluid and ever changing, but alas people tend to let ego and pride make us rigid in our views and unyielding with our beliefs. At the end of the day, without dissenting opinions, learning would stagnate and we'd all be intellectual clones.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    That is certainly fair enough.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    You absolutely are free to speak your mind and I'm glad you do. Your input is valuable. There is room for everyones opinion....
    Well, maybe not Rics :-)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    That was a great post. When I let my pride get the best of me I often make an ass out of myself.

I like how people's views here are respected. It's pretty rare for a messageboard to have the overall respect for diverse views that we have here. We all get pretty passionate at times about the Bears, but usually we can keep it civil. Pretty cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Conte is a free safety...Bethea is a strong safety...making this whole comparison pointless. One would not replace the other.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    The man is batting .1000 tonight folks!! You'll be on your way to being blocked by Soul in no time!
    • Like Like x 3
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    THIS!!! I played as well, from a nationally ranked high school team that had former NFL players coaching, all the way up to the D1AA level. Then I started coaching my knowledge of the game increase 10 fold! Then I became a coordinator and it went even further. What you think you know is just the beginning if you've never coached the game. I'm not trying to sound smug either...thats just the truth.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    I know that. He can play FS better than Conte. He is 4.39 in the 40. And even putting him at SS makes the defense stronger.
    That has been my point all along: Young+Bethea combo better than Houston+Conte combo.
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    I don't count very many people around here who watched Conte last season and would call him "good." We shall have many occasions to assess his performance this year. I consider the 25th ranking generous. I don't hate him. I just want him replaced.
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    completely disagree w/that, he was a liability 2 years ago when the team had a good front 7, his flaws were just limited by the front 7.
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    I have friend who was a star college football player. He says the team that does the best job of blocking and tackling usually wins the game. It is when they are about equal that coaching can tip the balance.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    very true
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    How do you know he can play free safety better than Conte? What evidence do you have....aside from 40 time, which last I checked doesn't mean you can play a position well. I agree he would have made the defense better at SS, but I also like having the d-line we have. A good d-line helps the secondary immeasurably.