Bears Defense; Lack of Talent or Poor Coaching?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 31, 2014.

1. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    935ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yea, there's a lot of context I don't have. What I posted was just an entry level attempt to get caught up on all the emotions surrounding Tucker as a DC. It was nothing new to most of you (in fact it is quite old to 75% of you) but it was new to me and I think it helps me understand why a large portion of board members are skeptical of Tucker.

2. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,365ß
    Well, for one thing, last year was last year, and that was certainly a different group than what we currently have. For instance our starting DT for a lot of that season is now playing his normal position of back up DE for the Vikings!

I can't blame him for Jacksonvilles defense prior to 2011 BECAUSE HE WASN'T CALLING THE PLAYS!!!!! That would be like me blaming my accountant for my poor spending habits!

Again, 3 1/2 quarters of combined playing time by the 1's.

3. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,365ß
    I don't know if it's happening or not happening because...again...and I know I sound like a broken record...3 1/2 QUARTERS PLAYED BY OUR STARTING DEFENSE OVER 4 GAMES IS NOT ENOUGH TO FORM AN OPINION MUCH LESS TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING BE A FACT!!!!

I can say from the 3/12 quarters of play i've seen our 1's play, the pressure looks much better than it did last year. Will it be consistent? I won't know until the season is underway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,990ß
    I know. I was there just like you. This is a perfect case in point that I made previously. The same facts and reality is there for all to see. Not everyone will select the same points as relevent (for various reasons).

We are putting a different level of importance on it. As in all of these cases, the only tiebreaker is the time for events to unfold and prove which data ended up being relevent.

• Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,164ß
    lol didn't know Wootton was a backup. Are Jennings/Tillman/Briggs/Williams/Conte/Paea the only starters left in the entire NFL(assuming Conte starts this season)? I know Cohen/Wright/Toutupu/Hayden are currently not on NFL teams so there's 4 out of the league, and now Wootton, McMannis, Shea, Bostic, Greene are all backups.

Think about that of all the starters on the team last year, 5 or 6 are still starters, 4 are not in the NFL, and 5 are backups. That's how bad the talent was on the D last year. That has nothing to do w/Tucker. As for this year, 3 1/2 qtrs of PS out of 4 games w/no actual game planning cannot tell you anything unless you are wanting it to be true.

Wk1-4 minimum, really 1-16 are the only way of knowing what is going on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,990ß
    I hear you. I agree that you can;t form firm conclusions, but I also think that you can make valuable observations. Otherwise, why do they use the games to decide what to work on?

As the weeks go by we will see how disconnected from reality the PS play was.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,990ß
    Man... I really hope a couple of our LBs come on this year. Emery did what we had hoped was a rebuild for the future when he let Urlacher go. It has not unfolded well so far.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,164ß
    what worries me is that Bostic was drafted as a MLB, and much like Shea the team has already stated that's not his "ideal" position.

9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,253ß
    Sometimes the speed of the game just can not be predicted in the case of Bostic. Most teams had Shea as a 3-4 LB so we kinda screwed the pooch on him and hoping to salvage it in my opinion.

10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,990ß
    Ric... that is another one of those things (just too many really to pick out every one) that makes me uneasy about the guys running the D. They just don't seem to have a consistent message and game plan. I have to include Emery in on this one, but I don;t know what his game plan was.

Was Williams to be the MLB for the next few years until he could draft one, or was one of the guys he drafted last year supposed to be the MLB of the future (Bostic).

The two answers say different things about the long term planning. Emery does strike me as the kind of guy that plans to the nth degree. I just don't know.

• Like Like x 1