Bears defensive lineman Wootton undergoes hip surgery

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jan 14, 2014.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,175 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

11:24 p.m. CST, January 13, 2014

Corey Wootton could have headed for free agency while staying mum about his bothersome right hip.

But the defensive lineman elected to have it fixed quickly, undergoing arthroscopic surgery Jan. 6 to repair a torn labrum and decompression of an impingement. He’s expected to be fully cleared for contact in about six months, maybe before the end of offseason programs, and should be running and cutting in four months.

The upside for Wootton is he believes he will be a much better player when he’s on the other side of the rehabilitation with more flexibility and explosiveness. He has been pain-free since surgery.

“I know a lot of people when free agency happens, they kind of hide things and then they tell the team something is wrong,” Wootton said. “This is something that has been bothering me for a while and I didn’t want to do that. I wanted to get it fixed right away so I am ready for the season.”

Wootton, 26, was first bothered by the injury in 2012 when he figured it was a strain and then “dinged” the hip in training camp, forcing him to miss some practice time. It got worse this season when he played in all 16 games with 15 starts, making 31/2 sacks, with the injury causing him more trouble and pain throughout the season. Dr. Benjamin Domb performed the surgery at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital. Wootton called the procedure “common” and said it isn’t unlike the surgery Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin had. However, Harvin waited until the end of July to make a decision on surgery and thus he missed all but one game in the regular season.

“I wasn’t 100 percent this season,” Wootton said. “I just tried to gut it out.”

He also had to switch positions, moving inside after injuries tore up the depth chart. Ten starts came at defensive tackle a year after the former Northwestern star had seven sacks in a breakout season at defensive end.

“I’m not too worried about (surgery affecting free agency),” he said. “I know changing positions might or might not have affected me for free agency. I did what I felt I had to do. The team needed me. I am not the type of player to say, ‘No, I am not going to do that.’ I should be ready well before training camp.”

Wootton, a fourth-round draft pick in 2010, should be in good position to take a physical for the Bears or other teams after free agency opens March 11. He could be a fit as a defensive end for 4-3 and 3-4 clubs.

“He’s a guy that transcends scheme for us,” general manager Phil Emery said after the season. “We said bye to each other as he was leaving and he knows that we’re going to work through it. And I know he’s going to have options. I’m sure we’ll continue to talk to him.”

* Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte were named to the All-NFC team chosen by the Professional Football Writers of America.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-wootton-hip-surgery-20140113,0,3230666.story
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    Forte finally starting to get the credit he's deserved since his rookie year.
    Jeffery gets named to backup probowl, thanks CJ inj.
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    :( Wootton was possibly the best D-lineman we had this year, and he was playing with this injury, just goes to show how bad we really were.